Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Exactly...if not for his unfortunate cfl gig...he'd be not playing anywhere...screw him...he showed nothing anyway when he faced real defences in Canada anyway...

Personally, I can't stand Rourke & the continued hype over him. He went to the worst team he could have signed with in Jacksonville. Doug Petersen has no intentions of ever playing him unless total disaster strikes. Let him sit on the PR. And if Rourke is that highly thought of in NFL circles then why wasn't he picked up by another team on waivers? This is twice now. 

9 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I look at the bums that Minnesota has been playing since Cousins got injured and I just can't figure out why they wouldn't give Rourke a try.  It's just maddening.

Maybe because he isn't as good as people up here think he is. He's been waived twice & hasn't been claimed. 

Rourke is continually clearing waivers with little or no interest in the rest of the 'no fun league'....I think they consider him a 'lesser talent' and the politics being what it is down there, will eventually lead to a dead end....He could fill BC place and most likely be paid handsomely for it....His choice but like Ford with regard to us, can't seem to get the bloody stars out of their eyes....It's costing them and when it comes down to adding up potential dollars and career standing, they seem to be a bit dense

Edited by Stickem

29 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Rourke is continually clearing waivers with little or no interest in the rest of the 'no fun league'....I think they consider him a 'lesser talent' and the politics being what it is down there, will eventually lead to a dead end....He could fill BC place and most likely be paid handsomely for it....His choice but like Ford with regard to us, can't seem to get the bloody stars out of their eyes....It's costing them and when it comes down to adding up potential dollars and career standing, they seem to be a bit dense

Rourke has already made over $300,000 USD even being mostly on practice roster.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Rourke has already made over $300,000 USD even being mostly on practice roster.

And could have made more than that up here...so...if it's the same prospect next yr...which it likely will the smart move is to sign a big deal up here...and perform....plain and simple...

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

In 2/3 of the NFL season. 

Always said if it was about dollars and cents ...and sense...any fringe guy who doesn't make an active roster out of camp...with no threat of being dropped will make more money signing a deal in Canada and being a big fish in small pond

Desjarlais 2 yrs ago....Ford this yr ..and Rourke are prime example...Rourke made some money...half of what he could have..the other 2 made diddly and pissed away the yr...tho Desjarlais smartened up near the end...Ford didnt...and he won't get squat for offers this spring

Edited by Booch

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

Rourke are prime example...Rourke made some money...half of what he could have..the other 2 made diddly and pissed away the yr...tho Desjarlais smartened up near the end...Ford didnt...and he won't get squat for offers this spring

You think he'd have made $800K Cdn?

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

How do you arrive at "half'?

**** quit nitpicking...roughly give or take...from what I heard bc was gonna pay him 750k per...so he made 55 percent of what he could have...if throwing away 350k+/- to chase a dream where he behind the 8 ball is wise then so be it...but it ain't...he will never get a legit shot...with the injuries this yr and poor play the fact he never got scooped tells one all they need to know...time to give it up and make nice coin in canada

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Does he have to pay both income taxes? 

I'm pretty sure you can claim a Canadian tax credit, if you paid foreign income tax.  There might be more red tape for larger amounts, but it can be done.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

**** quit nitpicking...roughly give or take...from what I heard bc was gonna pay him 750k per...so he made 55 percent of what he could have...if throwing away 350k+/- to chase a dream where he behind the 8 ball is wise then so be it...but it ain't...he will never get a legit shot...with the injuries this yr and poor play the fact he never got scooped tells one all they need to know...time to give it up and make nice coin in canada

Lol, take it easy. I thought maybe I was missing something, so I asked. 

Nothing wrong with a shot chasing a dream...u get one shot...lingering around clinging to.it when it's obvious it not gonna happen...as your career and earning potential erodes away tho is another matter...some guys just can't accept it just ain't gonna happen...is it blind stubborness....poor career advice from agents and those in your orbit...or a combo? 

It's his first year. That's not lingering or clinging to a dream. Those things apply to Strev. 

Rourke is getting the best coaching in the world to improve his skills & he's getting games towards his NFL pension. 

This is Rourke's one and only chance. I expect he'll keep chasing the NFL dream for a year or two more. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I don't begrudge people chasing the dream, but Rourke has taken a dim view f the cfl and I am tired of everyone hanging off his nuts.

Yup...never liked the Rourke hype train from day one..also he has a pretty high opinion of himself which isnt translating down south

And our Ford...he either got real poor career advice...or he truly thinks his turds don't stink...there are thousands of guys just like him...and better...waiting for a workout ...born..bred...trained in the U.S who's phone will ring long before his...nothing about his measurables and minimal game film from college and 1 yr up here screams gotta sign this gem...total waste of a yr...he was never getting a PR spot

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's his first year. That's not lingering or clinging to a dream. Those things apply to Strev. 

Rourke is getting the best coaching in the world to improve his skills & he's getting games towards his NFL pension. 

This is Rourke's one and only chance. I expect he'll keep chasing the NFL dream for a year or two more. 

I hope he does as don't need the boot licking incessantly up here

Strev yup...he will be up here next yr...he's done down there 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't begrudge people chasing the dream, but Rourke has taken a dim view f the cfl and I am tired of everyone hanging off his nuts.

yeah....I didn't like his parting vibe when he left here....I hope one day he reflects back on those comments and realizes if it wasn't for the CFL he's a nowhere man.....I'll chalk up his remarks to immaturity

Edited by Stickem

14 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

If the money is close he's going to prefer to be in the NFL. All it takes is a couple of injuries and he's in a position to lead a pretty good NFL team and if he performs he will end up a a large payday. 

"All it takes... All it takes." We hear that all the time. Yeah, sure. Dream on. The Jags will trade for a qb before they hand the keys of the team to Rourke. I'm loving the angst shown by the cheerleading Canadian media & fans for the guy. If he would have shown just a little bit of gratitude for how the CFL helped him, I'd have a bit of sympathy for his plight. But nope, pretty clear he felt he was too good to play for the Lions so I have no sympathy for him languishing on the PR behind a slug like CJ Beathard. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If he would have shown just a little bit of gratitude for how the CFL helped him, I'd have a bit of sympathy for his plight.

Really just a little? Here you go. Need any help moving them goalposts? Hahaha

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nfl/video/nathan-rourke-grateful-for-time-in-cfl-but-nfl-has-been-his-goal-since-day-one/

---

When did being competitive and self-assured become character flaws? Believing in yourself and not compromising on your goals? Good for Rourke and all the other Canadians in the NFL that we aren't upset about!

Any player with enough talent explores and exhausts every single path to the NFL they can find. Look at Brady. Look at Tyrell Ford. This isn't new or unique to Rourke. It's not til the door firmly slams shut that guys accept the CFL as their next best destination; Rourke has his foot in the door still.

If anyone is tired of the CFL being a distant second option for every football player ever born then wow have I got bad news for you. Doesn't stop the CFL from being way more fun to watch and be a fan of, even with dogshit offenses.

Rourke will be back in the CFL in time and maaaan would I love for the Bombers to acquire him, not just for his top-tier talent.... but for all the backpedaling that would occur here!

Oh and for the record, Tre Ford the "pure Canadian QB" tried out with Vegas and New England... he wanted to be in the NFL, too... Tre Ford only wishes he could be on a PR in the NFL right now

I guess when leaving a league that gave you a break to get a start, you actually should think about what you say....Many fans , including myself, take a little bit of umbrage with his initial comments when he left....Saying we 'the CFL' were an 'unforeseen detour' smacks of 'well we were okay but a road he really didn't want to go down (detour)'....Unfortunate choice of words .....You never really want to burn bridges wherever you have played or intend to play in the future