Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JCon

NFL Coming to Winnipeg for Preseason Game

Recommended Posts

When I checked Ticketmaster price ranges before the tickets went on sale I did not see a price offered for the Pinnacle seats. It seems odd that those 4 sections are completely sold out on that side (and were the minute tickets went on sale - I was checking), but there are still a bunch of seats available on the other side of the field that are the same viewpoint. Bottom line, aside from the 4 Pinnacle sections, there are only barely over 3000 lower bowl seats sold based on the Ticketmaster website. 

EDIT: I have a friend who got seats in the Pinnacle section and he said he got them through a corporate sponsor friend of his, without that connection the ticket would not have been available to him. Just going on what I was told.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The seats are on the one side of the field are set aside for corporate and the NFL.  I'm not even sure if they are sold out.  Even if we include those seats, they might have sold 10,000 seats total in the stadium.  The market has spoken.  The promoter badly miscalculated the demand - supply dynamic of the region for an NFL exhibition game.  Lot of egg on his face.  We probably see a few hundred sell a day over the next few weeks, but they will have to reduce the price of most of these sections.  Start with the middle of the upper deck and then from the 10 yard line to the back corner of the end zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

The seats are on the one side of the field are set aside for corporate and the NFL.  I'm not even sure if they are sold out.  Even if we include those seats, they might have sold 10,000 seats total in the stadium.  The market has spoken.  The promoter badly miscalculated the demand - supply dynamic of the region for an NFL exhibition game.  Lot of egg on his face.  We probably see a few hundred sell a day over the next few weeks, but they will have to reduce the price of most of these sections.  Start with the middle of the upper deck and then from the 10 yard line to the back corner of the end zone.

The potential problem now is that the Winnipeg market has experienced price slashing in the past (the last Grey Cup here where $100 per ticket was knocked off a few weeks before the game, various concerts that sold poorly and then sold at 2 for 1), and I am hearing some say they will wait for the ticket prices to be reduced, so some in this market may gamble on the same kind of reduction and hold out, keeping sales down in the process (which may hasten the move to cut rates, vicious circle). So does the promoter slash sooner to paper the house, or bite the bullet and wait out the stragglers? The NFL is not hurting for cash, so I don't see them caring about what prices they sell at, but they also aren't too worried about the optics of a Winnipeg pre-season non-sellout hurting the brand in their global scheme, so I don't see the prices dropping. But yes, a bad mis-calculation on what this market could bear, or what their brand is truly worth in a non-market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The potential problem now is that the Winnipeg market has experienced price slashing in the past (the last Grey Cup here where $100 per ticket was knocked off a few weeks before the game, various concerts that sold poorly and then sold at 2 for 1), and I am hearing some say they will wait for the ticket prices to be reduced, so some in this market may gamble on the same kind of reduction and hold out, keeping sales down in the process (which may hasten the move to cut rates, vicious circle). So does the promoter slash sooner to paper the house, or bite the bullet and wait out the stragglers? The NFL is not hurting for cash, so I don't see them caring about what prices they sell at, but they also aren't too worried about the optics of a Winnipeg pre-season non-sellout hurting the brand in their global scheme, so I don't see the prices dropping. But yes, a bad mis-calculation on what this market could bear, or what their brand is truly worth in a non-market.

If the promoter waits too long, then it will be too late as many people will have moved on and allocated their disposable income to other things.  

 

Every market has experienced price slashing - you just have to look.  Saskatchewan has had tonnes of price-slashing for many of their events...and the two for one deal or discounts I have seen in every single market.

 

They were discussing the optics of a poorly attended game on 1290 and the consensus was that they would not allow the game in an outside market to be poorly attended....need it to appear there is demand and excitement for the product even in a place which will never have an NFL team.  That will mean selling a bunch of tickets to a sponsor at a hugely reduced price or reducing the prices in several sections, maybe both.

As for GRRbrr comments, yes the game is 2.5 months away, but any event that is usually hyped quite heavily prior to the official sale of tickets to the public, has to rely on the majority of sales in the first few days, especially one such as this with insane prices.  There will be no urgency to purchase tickets from here on out with an inventory of over 20,000 seats. 

I bet they hardly get anyone from Raider Nation to attend as the area designated as the Black Hole has barely moved tickets at all.  Same with Packer fans south of the border...not when they can attend regular season games for a similar or cheaper price...and pre-season games where you can buy tickets on Stubhub for $6 - $8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TBURGESS said:

Expecting it to fail and hoping for it to fail are two different things.

It isn't two different things on here.

You bet on things to go wrong, that's your deal though, it is the easier call. So I get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yet, if Winnipeg was granted an NFL franchise there'd be sellouts

I disagree. NFL gets pumped up in Canada but the facts are, it's not as popular as most NFL fans like to believe. On top of that, ticket prices due to the American dollar etc etc would be higher leaving the seats empty. They'd draw decent crowds...but I'd wager after the shine wore off....they wouldn't fill it anymore then an average bomber game if that even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I disagree. NFL gets pumped up in Canada but the facts are, it's not as popular as most NFL fans like to believe. On top of that, ticket prices due to the American dollar etc etc would be higher leaving the seats empty. They'd draw decent crowds...but I'd wager after the shine wore off....they wouldn't fill it anymore then an average bomber game if that even.

Agreed. The big thing about the NFL is not the game, but the incredibly effective promotion  that is used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-06-11 at 8:10 AM, Geebrr said:

That's insecurity, my friend.

Nah it's not insecurity, I just have no use for the NFL. It is impossible for me to care about it. Truthfully a lot of it is about the media coverage moreso than the league itself, but the amount of over hyping that league gets just sickens me. It's the most american thing ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Nah it's not insecurity, I just have no use for the NFL. It is impossible for me to care about it. Truthfully a lot of it is about the media coverage moreso than the league itself, but the amount of over hyping that league gets just sickens me. It's the most american thing ever. 

The reason I care about football is because we have a local team to cheer for. I follow the NFL, but I don't sit there and watch games like I do with the CFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

NFL football is the best product in the world and if you can't see that you're lost. I'm one of the biggest Bomber fans out there but give me a choice of watching the als and argos and a bad NFL game and I know which one I'm watching

Als and Argos all day, and I'm not even blinking on it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

NFL football is the best (hyped) product in the world and if you can't see that you're lost. I'm one of the biggest Bomber fans out there but give me a choice of watching the als and argos and a bad NFL game and I know which one I'm watching

So, you just like bad football eh?

JK 🤭

I’ll watch the bastardized version of football (NFL) even though the most of the product doesn’t match the hype/money paid , but, for me, the unfamiliarity of all the players and the discrepancy in talent and coaching doesn’t make for easy watching. I hardly have the patience to make it through a whole game.

CFL - quite simply, the brand 🇨🇦 is better in my eyes.

Oh well, doomed to being lost again this year...😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...