NFL Coming to Winnipeg for Preseason Game

JCon

5 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Winnipeg is not really cheap.

Winnipeggers love love a bargain... obviously, who doesn't.... but I don't even walk into a store if it doesn't have neon construction paper starbursts declaring "SALE" plastered to the windows. Give me 50% off or give me death

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

ive been a big bill walsh fan since I read his first book, the winning edge. And The score takes care of it self amped it up. I loved their offense, but never got attached to the team.

Vikes fan since forever. There's not enough glue in the world to mend my broken heart. Loved "Air Coryell" in the late 70's too. That was a ton of fun. Nobody had seen that type of passing game in the pros before Don Coryell.

I don't care enough about football as a sport to watch a bunch of generic (to me) athletes in places that I've never been to. I love the regional rivalries of the CFL and the Canadian players. That's certainly what draws me in. Having said that, I have a buddy at work that's a die hard Raiders fan, and an NFL junkie, in general, and so I started following the Raiders a bit last year because their "story" is somewhat similar to Winnipeg, in terms of what they've gone through as an organization. Also, the whole Baker Mayfield thing last year in Cleveland intrigued me. That game where he first came in and helped them come from behind and win? That was entertaining. So I follow that a bit......but generally speaking, I have NO idea why people in Canada buy into the hype so much.

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't care enough about football as a sport to watch a bunch of generic (to me) athletes in places that I've never been to. I love the regional rivalries of the CFL and the Canadian players. That's certainly what draws me in. Having said that, I have a buddy at work that's a die hard Raiders fan, and an NFL junkie, in general, and so I started following the Raiders a bit last year because their "story" is somewhat similar to Winnipeg, in terms of what they've gone through as an organization. Also, the whole Baker Mayfield thing last year in Cleveland intrigued me. That game where he first came in and helped them come from behind and win? That was entertaining. So I follow that a bit......but generally speaking, I have NO idea why people in Canada buy into the hype so much.

My sole reason for paying any attention to the NFL is to keep tabs on former or potential future CFL players (draft picks & neg list guys).

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I get if people don't like the NFL for whatever reason.

I just don't get people who hate the fact people do like it.

20 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I get if people don't like the NFL for whatever reason.

I just don't get people who hate the fact people do like it.

Exactly. It doesn't make you less of a CFL fan to like the NFL as well. Hell I watched an AAF game earlier this year because I wasn't ready for football season to end.

The NFL saves me from the drudgery of a January-February NHL schedule. I've been a Rams fan since 1999 so it's been a long time since the NFL has been fun for me to watch from a fan standpoint but the explosion of fantasy football is why so many people latch on to the NFL.

I'll watch the NFL, but I don't follow it too closely. Fills the need for football when the CFL is done. I've been a cowboys fan for as long as I can remember. Started back in the early 90's...no not because they were the team to beat back then, as I wasn't old enough to really understand that. My Grandma bought two hats while in the states, my brother got one. I got the other...just so happened to be a Cowboys hat.

I used to watch the NFL when I had loads of free time (pre getting married and having children).    The level of talent is insane and despite the games being much slower pace,  I do find them entertaining.  

Also the fantasy football used to be really fun back when I had time to join a bunch of leagues.  

24 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

I've been a Rams fan since 1999 so it's been a long time since the NFL has been fun for me to watch from a fan standpoint but the explosion of fantasy football is why so many people latch on to the NFL.

Funny, me too... I jumped on the band wagon as a youngster watching the Warner-Faulk greatest show on turf.... the last few years I've been torn... they're finally good again, which is great... but I hate cheering for a team in a major market (and yes, I realize they were originally from LA)... 

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

Funny, me too... I jumped on the band wagon as a youngster watching the Warner-Faulk greatest show on turf.... the last few years I've been torn... they're finally good again, which is great... but I hate cheering for a team in a major market (and yes, I realize they were originally from LA)... 

Those GSOT years were great, I still might have a Faulk jersey in my closet somewhere. I actually don't mind them moving to LA (more games on prime time/attractive to FA's/new stadium)

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Just my own personal thing, but I disagree with this...

Just curious as to why you think that is? I don't think being a CFL fan should preclude you from liking the NFL or vice versa. I've been a die-hard Bomber/CFL fan since I was a kid and feel the same way about the NFL despite the differences between the leagues. I understand having a preference between leagues but I don't see it as some form of treason to the CFL because I like the NFL.

Again, it's just my own personal thing, but I feel like those who are STRICTLY CFL/CIS are more hardcore than those who are just football fans, and will watch all football, regardless. I am perfectly fine with being seen as crazy on this (I'm used to it) but it's 100% how I feel...

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Again, it's just my own personal thing, but I feel like those who are STRICTLY CFL/CIS are more hardcore than those who are just football fans, and will watch all football, regardless. I am perfectly fine with being seen as crazy on this (I'm used to it) but it's 100% how I feel...

All good - I was just genuinely curious to what your viewpoint was on it. We will agree to disagree on the definition of diehard/hardcore CFL fan but I see where you are coming from. For me, whatever I can do to fill my time with more football is time well spent.

And I won't call you crazy, I'll leave that determination up to you (and any voices in your head)😀

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

ive been a big bill walsh fan since I read his first book, the winning edge. And The score takes care of it self amped it up. I loved their offense, but never got attached to the team.

Bill Walsh -a class act and brilliant football mind. Having Jerry Rice helped too. 

15 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Yup  I cheered for the Vikings, 49ers and Steelers till Moss came. Then it was just Vikings.

Me too. Cheered for the Vikings because of geography, Bud Grant, and Randal Cunningham. Wish they had won a Super Bowl though. 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

The Canadian game is far more entertaining to me. The bigger field, the extra man, the motion, all contribute to a better game. The NFL has some insanely talented athletes though.