NFL Coming to Winnipeg for Preseason Game

JCon

On 2019-06-07 at 12:28 PM, Ripper said:

While we are making jokes, maybe I will bring my machete.  Depending where we have to stay in Winnipeg, I may need it.

Hey now, our mascot wasn't the one accused of "inappropriate" behavior in a recent game against the Lions!

https://globalnews.ca/news/5667246/saskatchewan-roughriders-mascot-inappropriate-behaviour-stuffed-lion/

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

hqdefault.jpg

Noeller has been on the crazy train for years. That's why we all love him. Well, like him. Well, think he's cool in a crazy sort of way. Y'know, like  ...

Oh never mind. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Noeller has been on the crazy train for years. That's why we all love him. Well, like him. Well, think he's cool in a crazy sort of way. Y'know, like  ...

Oh never mind. 

Like the friend who's an *******, but he's our *******...

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Who doesn't?

I remember November of 1972. Canadian Women's Champ Vera Pezer challenged The Big O to a "Battle Of The Sexes" & he accepted. It was televised on the CBC on their program the "CBC Curling Classic". Trouble was, Orest Meleschuk spent the time before the game preparing up in the bar at the St.James Civic Centre. By the time the game started he was feeling no pain. I remember the first end when Meleschuk threw his first stone & nearly fell down but held it together... Don Wittman, doing play by play, exclaimed that, "The ship looks a little unsteady!!" I think Pezer beat the reigning World champ that day but obviously Meleschuk didn't care. There were so many characters in the sport half a century ago.

Related image

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think Pezer beat the reigning World champ that day but obviously Meleschuk didn't care. There were so many characters in the sport half a century ago.

That's an awesome story. But the way in which he became the world champ was surreal, with the American skip, Bob Labonte, burning Meleschuk's rock after they thought they had won.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Labonte always kinda blamed Meleschuk for what happened. Like he should have conceded. Labonte jumped, touched the stone & lost. Never to be heard from again.

The rocks were close enough that I'm sure Meleschuk would have wanted a measurement. The act of burning Meleschuk's rock did not cost the Americans the game though. It forced an extra end with Labonte having last rock. In that extra end Meleschuk made a fabulous shot and swung his final rock around a guard and buried it for what would prove to be the winning point. Labonte tried with his last rock to duplicate Meleschuk's shot and couldn't do it, throwing his last rock through the rings. Game over. Canada wins.

For those that don't appreciate curling, it is a shot-making game that requires nerves of steel. It may look easy on television but believe me, until you're down on the ice and actually try to make some of these shots, it is one of the toughest games to play well that I have ever tried.

Winnipeg has produced some of the greatest curlers with Jeff Stoughton being one of the best ever and Kerry Burtnik being a great champion too in recent times. Don Duguid may have been the very best ever.

And let's not forget the ladies. Jennifer Jones is also a Winnipeg product.

So this big ticket push last week has resulted in maybe another thousand seats sold...probably some group sales to businesses as I see a few gray squares and rectangles of sold seats scattered in the lower bowl.  I'm sure some singles have sold as well but it's not that noticeable.  

A few weeks ago, the promoter said there was no plans to lower prices.  Well plans have a way of changing particularly with the NFL involved.  There is no way they will allow the stadium to be half empty in 3 weeks.  Not at the risk of perceived lack of interest in their product in a foreign country.  

It's worth noting the promoter for this event is the same one for the cancelled junior hockey game at Mosaic Stadium a couple years ago between Regina and Saskatoon.  Reason for cancellation: lack of ticket sales due to absurd prices.