Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Looking at the depth chart, the secondary is a little scary to me, because it's a lot of relative "unknown" back there....but if there's one thing I have confidence in Walters to consistently churn out, it's import DBs, so I'm sure we'll be fine...

Alexander, sayles, fenner, rose, gaitor, humes... seems like a pretty reasonable transition 

I had a feeling Chris Matthews would be a late signing. He was Walters number one target for free agency this whole time. Obviously Chris wanted to explore his NFL options but at 29 years old it was pretty obvious he’d be coming back to the CFL. This is a HUGE move, gearing up for that Grey Cup run. Could not be more excited. 

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/10/bombers-sign-two-2019-draft-picks/?fbclid=IwAR3WM-dv-qvJyEAjVwuZydYskNosfO5QTZ11_x68ZRbGt6yY_Jyc7dgFykY

WINNIPEG, MB., May 10, 2019 –  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed two of their 2019 CFL Draft selections, defensive back Nick Hallett and defensive lineman Tariq LaChance.

Hallett (6-0, 195, University of Toronto, February 12, 1994 in London, ON) was selected 61st overall in last week’s draft. He played in 28 games with the Varsity Blues over six seasons. In three games in 2018, Hallett recorded 13 tackles, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and one touchdown. In 2017, he led the Blues and ranked fourth in the OUA with 60 tackles, adding one sack, two fumble recoveries, one interception and five break ups.

LaChance (6-4, 260, University of Manitoba, November 11, 1993 in Winnipeg, MB) was selected in the sixth round, 52ndoverall in last week’s draft. He attended Vincent Massey Collegiate in Winnipeg and played for the Rifles before joining the University of Manitoba Bisons. He appeared in four games, recording four tackles, one sack, a tackle for a loss and two forced fumbles.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Like I've been saying it's not going to be bad.  Even if they had to go with Couture, Bryant, Hardrick and Foketi as a worst case scenario it wouldn't be bad. 

I could see foketi inside, with nuefeld and couture getting pretty rough actually. But I really dont think thatll be the case. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I could see foketi inside, with nuefeld and couture getting pretty rough actually. But I really dont think thatll be the case. 

Would be nice if we hit a real home run with the Eli pick.  If he pans out I like the long term future of him at center and Gray and Desjarlais as the guards.  

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I think gray is taking a job this year. Desjarlais and eli are great picks. The OL is gonna be a WAR in tc. I cant wait to watch it. 

Im looking forward to it as well.  The writing i think is on the wall for guys like Couture and Speller.   If they don't earn starting jobs with the team this year they won't be starters with this club. By next season there will be more picks coming in and Gray and Desjarlais will be hitting their strides. 

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

I’m ecstatic to have Matthews back. Matthews and Adams will be a nice 1-2 punch and if we decide to start Simonse we’ll have three big targets for Nichols. 

I just wish this would’ve happened last year and he never put on a Calgary jersey, but better late than never. 

Don't forget Drew is not a small man. 6'2" and 220 LBS.