The Weather

Those who first postulated about the looming climate change said that forecasts would become more and more unreliable as weather patterns became chaotic. A couple of years ago, Environment Canada stated that their long-range forecasts were more inaccurate than they were a couple of decades prior for this reason.

Looking out my window at 6 AM on Wednesday morning, things were still calm.  But in spite of that, we still got the call that the division was closed.  Within an hour, it could have been a very dangerous situation, had the school busses started out that morning.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

It's really incredible, the work that meteorologists do. One of the most inexact sciences there is and yet they're close more often than not. Thank GOODNESS they gave the warning for this storm that they did, and gave people the opportunity to prepare for the worst 

And quite honestly, no harm was done. Kids got a couple days off and some people bought lots of milk. I found it hilarious that people felt the need to justify their milk usage...on Twitter. 

it's true, I think it snowed one more time in June (and again how can I forget, I'm surprised Aerosmith was still able to perform the day of this snow storm shown below)

sigh.......I hope it actually will be rain for sure this weekend have it dissolve some of the white stuff

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/snow-manitoba-rain-colorado-low-1.6422456?fbclid=IwAR26z1CZ1NwPBmdgxB-tbFa-VRQfuwefitL6p4LVgagUAY-DwqUqZvWmKq4

Edited by iHeart

On 2022-04-15 at 8:09 AM, Noeller said:

It's really incredible, the work that meteorologists do. One of the most inexact sciences there is and yet they're close more often than not. Thank GOODNESS they gave the warning for this storm that they did, and gave people the opportunity to prepare for the worst 

But it's not a random weather pattern it's quite predictable, they've been able to track Colorado lows since the 50's, the result depends on the time of year and the moisture content.  Warm windy days in the fall are also caused by Colorado lows tracking into Southern MB., but they rarely draw attention to it because there is little consequence.

Manitoba Storm Watch #mbstorm 4:15a SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT ISSUED by Environment Canada
DATE: Thursday, April 21, 2022

Strong winds, heavy snow and heavy rain for southern and Central Manitoba this weekend. 
Another Colorado low moving through the dakotas this weekend will affect the southern half of Manitoba from Friday morning through Monday. This system is expected to bring a wintery mix of precipitation including a swath of heavy snow from southeastern Saskatchewan through the Manitoba parklands and Interlake as well as periods of heavy rain for the Red River Valley and areas further East. 
Along the heaviest axis of snow, storm-total accumulations of 25 to 50 cm are expected to fall but will vary drastically throughout the rest of the province. Most areas of southeastern Manitoba will experience periods of heavy rain, at times mixed with snow or freezing rain. On Saturday, these areas may be enhanced at times by embedded thunderstorms, and could see 25 to 50 mm of rain, especially over upslope areas of the Red River Valley. Also, strong winds gusting from 60 to 90 km/h will encompass a large area of southern Manitoba, beginning Saturday, through Sunday. 
The strongest wind gusts on Sunday are also likely to line up with the heaviest bands of snow, bringing widespread reduced visibilities in blowing snow. Blowing snow is also possible on Saturday, but uncertainties in precipitation type (snow/rain/ice pellets) make this difficult to predict. However, the risk of reduced visibilities in blowing snow will be there wherever snow is falling in strong winds. This will likely make travel difficult in these areas. 
The system is expected to move into Ontario on Monday. Lingering flurries will remain for most of the province, but with no significant accumulations expected. 
Confidence regarding the track of this Colorado low is slowly improving but remains uncertain and deviations in the track could lead to significant changes in the projected storm-total accumulations, precipitation type and wind speeds over the Region. 

Shouldn't that alert thing have gone off? I know it covers Tornadoes bu this would really cover Floods too

FROM THE WEATHER NETWORK:

Overland Flow Flood

Issued at 16:13 Thursday 21 April 2022

Importance

MEDIUM

Description

This is a Manitoba Emergency Alert. Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure’s Hydrologic Forecast Centre has issued an overland flood warning for southern Manitoba from the Saskatchewan border eastward to Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH) 12 and from the United States border northwards to PTH 1. The warning could extend north of PTH 1 between PTH 5 and PTH 16, and north of PTH 1 between Portage la Prairie and Winnipeg. These areas could receive more than 50 mm of rain snow mix precipitation, with some localized areas receiving up to 80 mm by midday Monday, April 25. Take immediate action to protect yourself and property. Avoid water bodies, valleys, low lying areas and flooded areas that are being affected. Move to higher ground if possible. Follow all directions by local authorities. Listen for updates and take all necessary precautions to stay safe.

Area Description

From southern Manitoba from the Saskatchewan border eastward to Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH) 12 and from the United States border northwards to PTH 1. The warning could extend north of PTH 1 between PTH 5 and PTH 16, and north of PTH 1 between Portage la Prairie and Winnipeg.

Issued By

Manitoba Emergency Measures Organization

Edited by iHeart

So how bad is it? My mom's place in Transcona is pretty swampy in the yard. They're working hard to keep water out of the basement. Couple other friends have sump pumps working constantly. How are you guys all faring? 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So how bad is it? My mom's place in Transcona is pretty swampy in the yard. They're working hard to keep water out of the basement. Couple other friends have sump pumps working constantly. How are you guys all faring? 

We have high elevation - but lots of people are in trouble. The RM is going to call a state of emergency.

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

Thankfully non sump-pump area here but weeping tile drains to main hole in laundry room were all going and that’s a rare thing. Usually 2 maybe 3 most. 

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Are you ever the on air person?

I would listen if yeah.

Had to run a pump in the side yard yesterday, pool of water about 4” deep against the foundation but no seepage. Sump pump is likely every 10 to 15 today, was every5 or less yesterday. Snowing currently as it was never that warm today, hopefully that allows the drainage system to catch up. 

Lots of roads under water, Concordia by Kildonan East, Henderson at North Perimeter. Apparently the entire northbound side of route 90 at Dublin has collapsed. Janice Lukes posting that all the retaining ponds in Waverly West have exceeded capacity. 

My daughter and I couldn't get out the street today so couldn't go to the game. Live just outside the north perimeter and if ppl have seen video of Pritchard farm road,  you will understand why and no don't live there but can't get through, didn't wanna risk it. Better safe than sorry. Free tix so it's not like it matters. Already got free tix to Seattle instead 

Edited by Goalie

We had some seepage but the sump and some wet-vacuuming dealt with it. East St, Paul has 2 feet of water in places and the north perimeter highway at #59 is closed. Regent has 12-15 inches of water east of Lagimodiere. Enough, already. Between the frigid temperatures, high driving snowfall and now a dreadful "spring" this has been a very crappy six months.

I was saying to a few people today, Mother Nature owes you one of those amazing summers where it's hot and sunny for 3 or 4 months and you can spend epic days at the beach/cottage. 

There is nothing better than a great Manitoba/NW Ont summer....