The Weather

Just now, Goalie said:

Lol. How did my parents survive the 1960s blizzard. How did i survive the 97 one. Good God, the fear mongering over snow 

What fear mongering? People still need to be prepared, especially if power goes out. Should always be prepared but we're getting a heads-up, which is rare. 

I have a friend that lives 30 miles South of Minneapolis, he said they were getting rain tonight like he’s never seen it before. If it was colder he figures a foot of snow per hour wouldn’t have been a stretch. 

Glad to hear that schools are closed and no one is to report until Monday. Just wish they did it earlier than 9pm but happy it wasn’t 6am. 

50 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I have a friend that lives 30 miles South of Minneapolis, he said they were getting rain tonight like he’s never seen it before. If it was colder he figures a foot of snow per hour wouldn’t have been a stretch. 

Glad to hear that schools are closed and no one is to report until Monday. Just wish they did it earlier than 9pm but happy it wasn’t 6am. 

Highways will close at midnight, but some divisions are still not making it official. 

12 hours ago, iHeart said:

I just got an e-mail from the superintendent of my school division, school buses are cancelled for tomorrow and thursday but they haven't decided if schools will be closed yet, I might not find out until 6 in the morning which is usually the time when I get dressed...honestly there's no good sense in having a Simpson prediction happen (basically the episode "Simpsons Sense of Snow")

I'm seriously thinking about eating and running...or taking my breakfast to work with me if they don't cancel classes...but I keep getting told (not by staff) that if the transit buses don't run the city doesn't run

In Calgary, all schools remain open even if there are no classes to provide shelter for kids that need it. That sounds the same in Winnipeg. Providing staff can make it in to open the schools. If you can't make it in because of the weather & the transit buses aren't running then just act accordingly. It's not that hard. Having to wait until 6 am sounds reasonable. When I drove a school bus, it was the same for us. We would have to call in to work at 6 am to find out if the school divisions had cancelled classes. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In Calgary, all schools remain open even if there are no classes to provide shelter for kids that need it. That sounds the same in Winnipeg. Providing staff can make it in to open the schools. If you can't make it in because of the weather & the transit buses aren't running then just act accordingly. It's not that hard. Having to wait until 6 am sounds reasonable. When I drove a school bus, it was the same for us. We would have to call in to work at 6 am to find out if the school divisions had cancelled classes. 

Winnipeg schools are closed for two days - this has not happened in 20 + years.

34 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Oh, no ! I was in 2nd grade when the blizzard of '66 happened ! Way to make me feel old!  I have a distinct memory of tobogganing off the roofs of buildings on our farm in 66.

After the snow was gone right?

Farmers are tough.

Kidding aside, farmers I have met tend to very strong,  with a high tolerance for pain.

Edited by Mark F

Doesn't seen to bad. The wind is kind of helping actually 

Snownado 

Been snowing 3 4 hours probably now and my shoes aren't even covered 

The back roof has some snow, the front and side roof has very little 

Edited by Goalie