The Weather

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

it's a little too early for a white out

Disliked the weather the last month. Hate the weather this last week. Too cold, too soon. Lost my flowers :(

But the grass has never been greener this year in the last week and Jets season starts tomorrow.

It's a wash.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

• 3 years later...

I've been following Bart's Tweets very closely, as I'm fascinated by the Red being bone dry south of the city last summer, and overflowing this spring. I'm a fishing obsessive, and the impact of all of this on the fishery is so interesting.... 

I realize we're all going to be pretty miserable next week, but this predicted snow is actually fantastic

One way or the other, the creeks, the streams, the rivers, the lakes and our ground water/water table, need to be replenished

They are forecasting another hot and dry summer, so we still NEED more spring moisture

If we get more moisture now, then we could get by with minimal moisture over the summer - last spring was very dry, coupled with a dry summer

Another crop year like 2021 will send food prices through the roof and severely impact other parts of the economy

Just now, Mark H. said:

I realize we're all going to be pretty miserable next week, but this predicted snow is actually fantastic

One way or the other, the creeks, the streams, the rivers, the lakes and our ground water/water table, need to be replenished

They are forecasting another hot and dry summer, so we still NEED more spring moisture

If we get more moisture now, then we could get by with minimal moisture over the summer - last spring was very dry, coupled with a dry summer

Another crop year like 2021 will send food prices through the roof and severely impact other parts of the economy

I was wondering about the impact. I was worried that we would get too much precipitation and flooding. 

Is the timing right? 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I was wondering about the impact. I was worried that we would get too much precipitation and flooding. 

Is the timing right? 

It's not too much yet.  The white tails were running straight down the middle of Netley Creek - last July / August

If we get melting weather after this system, the timing should be pretty good for May seeding

The massive amount of snow that fell in the city and made travel treacherous at the start of the year have created a hefty overrun for the City of Winnipeg’s budget.

The city exceeded its snow and ice clearing budget for January and February by a whopping $28 million, a finance report shows.

“There was a lot of plowing there but there was also so much hauling (of snow.) The amount of snow they hauled away was unprecedented. That’s where the massive cost really was,” said Coun. Jeff Browaty, who was recently appointed as council’s finance chairperson.

Browaty said the $28-million overrun is in addition to the $6.3 million budgeted for snow clearing in January and $5.1 million budgeted for February. That brings the total tab to clear snow and ice beyond $39 million for just two months — and exceeds the entire $35-million snow clearing budget that was meant to last throughout 2022.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/citys-snow-clearing-budget-logs-28-m-overrun-576377152.html

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

46 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The massive amount of snow that fell in the city and made travel treacherous at the start of the year have created a hefty overrun for the City of Winnipeg’s budget.

The city exceeded its snow and ice clearing budget for January and February by a whopping $28 million, a finance report shows.

“There was a lot of plowing there but there was also so much hauling (of snow.) The amount of snow they hauled away was unprecedented. That’s where the massive cost really was,” said Coun. Jeff Browaty, who was recently appointed as council’s finance chairperson.

Browaty said the $28-million overrun is in addition to the $6.3 million budgeted for snow clearing in January and $5.1 million budgeted for February. That brings the total tab to clear snow and ice beyond $39 million for just two months — and exceeds the entire $35-million snow clearing budget that was meant to last throughout 2022.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/citys-snow-clearing-budget-logs-28-m-overrun-576377152.html

Considering that the past couple of winters have had below-normal snowfall and temperatures, there ought to have been savings to be applied to this budget overrun.

6 hours ago, Tracker said:

Considering that the past couple of winters have had below-normal snowfall and temperatures, there ought to have been savings to be applied to this budget overrun.

I'm pretty sure that would be a first, for any budget involving public finances.

12 hours ago, Mark H. said:

It's not too much yet.  The white tails were running straight down the middle of Netley Creek - last July / August

If we get melting weather after this system, the timing should be pretty good for May seeding

The ground is frozen. There's nowhere for the melt to go. So, there'll be a flood & most of it will be lost to evaporation. Winnipeg is on a flood plain which is why the soil is so rich & fertile.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

30-80cm possible they're saying.... My Christ, that is going suck for you guys. Wishing you a lot of patience and strength. 

There's never been an 80 cm snow event in the Red River Valley. I don't expect that to occur.

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The ground is frozen. There's nowhere for the melt to go. So, there'll be a flood & most of it will be lost to evaporation. Winnipeg is on a flood plain which is why the soil is so rich & fertile.

The ground is no longer completely frozen. You can already see green grass where the snow is melting. 

1 hour ago, iHeart said:
is it wrong for me to hope that a snow day gets declared (would the amount expectancy even change in three days?)

Well, there was no snow day for those slick roads last week. Bus drivers were in a treacherous position. So, don't hold you breath.