The Weather

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

This is weak. 1997 was way more. I understand maybe some areas got pounded, sounds like Steinbach and the interlake got it much worse but honestly, I shoveled quick when it stopped around 3 and it's still pretty much concrete. They say 3 to 7 more cms to come here. Not bad at all. Neighbour's at the lake posted some pics tho and yeah they got double we got here. Places like Waverly and that are basically bowls, sage creek too so gonna seem like they got more there but it's really just drifts from the wind. I'm not sure if there's 20cms of fresh snow here in the north east winnipeg. Tough to tell tho cuz drifts. Very little roof snow tho as the wind has been blowing pretty good all day. It doesn't seem like much, from what I was reading on Facebook sounded like a day after tomorrow scenario so yeah, think there was some extreme exaggeration 

CHQR radio here in Calgary spent a half hour on their talk shows speaking to emergency coordinators & reporters from CJOB yeaterday about the storm that never was, All I heard was "we're prepared", "Environment Canada told us that it'll be the worst storm in decades" & the next day we're going to get walloped with snow from Ontario". Gotta hype even when there is no hype.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

CHQR radio here in Calgary spent a half hour on their talk shows speaking to emergency coordinators & reporters from CJOB yeaterday about the storm that never was, All I heard was "we're prepared", "Environment Canada told us that it'll be the worst storm in decades" & the next day we're going to get walloped with snow from Ontario". Gotta hype even when there is no hype.

The city was spared the worst of it but not outside the city. We still accumulated 25cms and the winds have been strong. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Despite the almost-hysteria from the media, we are still better safe than sorry.

Exactly. Can you imagine the complaints if cars and people were stuck for days in our 4 ft drifts on the highway by my place. Meteorologists and the Highway dept take their best educated guess and always should err on the side of caution.

Edited by the watcher

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

also, because **** you to the whiners: 

My suspicion is that there are a lot of people who haven't looked smart for most of their life clawing at every attempt to show they are smarter than others, when really they just don't understand the complexities of situations. "Vaccines don't work because vaccinated people can still be infected" "The government made the media hype the storm because they wanted people to buy stuff".

As Bartley said, we are already within the predicted range (and not done yet) and we are likely within the predicted range of responses too. Some people didn't care, some people went overboard. This would also depend on some people's ability to handle risk. My grandmother has health concerns and limited mobility, this could make a potential storm, power outages, etc. much more dangerous than someone like me. She should appropriately be over-precautious.

Nothing to see here other than some people trying to grasp at attempts to make themselves look smarter than everyone else because others prepared for a storm. Likely the same people that would be the first to demand help and blame the government/media/WEF if the storm was worse than expected.

The drifts are crazy. Once shoveled there's hills... probably 2 feet of snow. 

Some areas didn't all melt away in the yard so... those areas are small mountains again lol

It's melting tho once shoveled. Gonna melt quick if sun is out 

Edited by Goalie

My guess is we are in around 30 inches of snow. It's really hard to tell though. I've got drifts right on my lane and in the yard that are 4 to 5 ft deep.( That will work the old blower out ) My son has a house on the property and the drifts are over the hoods of his SUVs .The highway that fronts the property is still closed and I assume blocked as there is no traffic and locals will go even if it is closed. While it wasn't 97 or 66 it was still a heck of a storm. 

Edit : I was out on snowshoes today and I  could sink a ski pole completely in on the drifts on my lane .

Edited by the watcher

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Good thread on forecasting and the communication of the forecast 

This may be the most subtle shot across the bow to the “whiners” in his thread:

Must offer a reasonable alternative if you want to criticize? Has this guy never visited an internet chat site before? Complaining without justification is step one. 

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm baffled by this attitude of "Ugh....fake news....what storm??" Some people are just so much cooler than everyone else...

Because we've heard this so many times before. BIG STORM!!. Take cover. Then we end getting a few flurries. Or it's a run of the mill storm we see every winter that barely slows anything down.

Lots of people like me get jaded. It also doesn't help when news readers & DJ's take it upon dthemselves to ad lib forecasts & change the wording to shorten them or to hype them up over the radio.

OTOH, I've also heard the same news readers & DJ's downplay a forecast & give it a 10 word summary. "Periods of snow" then become "flurries". So a forecast of "periods of snow with amounts of 10-15 cms" becomes " Flurries today. Maybe 10  cms"  which happens all the time. (That's all part of the lousy communication the public gets over the radio as discussed by Scott Kehler).  

On air people don't have the expertise to interpret the forecast so take an extrra 30 seconds, read the forecast as released from Environment Canada & don't change them. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

We know so much about the planet but forecasting the weather precisely we are so far on. One of the most difficult things to do.

I was amazed at how much time in advance we knew about this storm coming. Usually long term forecasts are incredibly unreliable, but I think they did a good job on this one. I can't imagine how a storm like this in the past would have halted society without the advanced warning we had. There were multiple days between the forecast and the storm that it appeared spring was here to stay and the melt was going full steam ahead.