Winnipeg 5-5 @ Regina 5-4 Game Day

Mr Dee

11 hours ago, LeBird said:

I think the ball to Washington would have been intercepted even if he had not touched it.  The rider D was far enough back and the ball was on its way down.  My guess anyway. The defence did not play well in the second half because of all the 2 and outs from us. The DB's were having a hard time because the line was no longer able to apply constant pressure.  

Either Streveler is very lucky or better than MOS thinks. On two offensive plays in the last two weeks he gets two touchdowns. The one today was really nice because he threw it while scrambling. 

It's so much like another time. MOS sticking with the No.1 at all costs. I think Nichols should be tough enough to accept to be benched and take the opportunity to see what is happening that he can't see under game conditions.  Oh well, playing here might help him.

It feels like we are reliving the last days of Willy's time here, with O'Shea defending his choice of quarterback right to the edge of the cliff.

11 hours ago, Floyd said:

Neither of those QB stats are anything to crow about.

Nichols is in a major funk right now...  but Collaros is awful and always will be.  Chris Jones' D is providing your offence.

That makes no sense at all. You can’t have it both ways. Collaros was a top tier QB pushing for MOP. Then was pushed into duty on a really bad team in Hamilton. Every player that has left that 0-8 team has done well. Especially CJ Gable and Collaros. Hamilton basically slow fired Austin. Changed the whole coaching staff and the players on offence before they win a few games. So Collaros was also in a funk in Hamilton. But is learning and winning in SK. That is more than I can say for Nichols. If he’s in a funk as you say then Collaros was on a really bad team where everyone was in a funk. Nichols is on a good team  huge difference  

Here’s hoping it’s a close game in Winnipeg.  I believe the Bombers will split the series. I would rather see the EE lose twice to Calgary and all of a sudden be the odd man out. 

The facts are simple. There are no starting QBs in the CFL that are awful or suck. Even the ALs May have found a starter. Let me remind you that in the CFL in both the games and the season. It’s not how you start but how you finish. At this moment the Bombers and Riders are trending in opposite directions. SK is consistently getting better since Collaros came off of IR. They pounded Calgary 40-27 and beat the Lions in BC since Zack came back. That’s more than any other team in the league can say. So I would suggest your thoughts on QBs are nothing more than self serving ideas to help you ease how Nichols play is losing the Bombers games. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

It feels like we are reliving the last days of Willy's time here, with O'Shea defending his choice of quarterback right to the edge of the cliff.

To a certain extent, it seems like the Mike O'Shea we have now, is very similar to the Mike O'Shea that we had day one of his head coaching time here.

The basic model, the ideas about what matters, and how you make a team good, probably has not changed much.

odd thing about hanging with a guy who is not playing well;

Wasn't Don Mathews known for being unafraid to make changes when needed? And I think Don is the coach O'Shea looks up to the most. At least I thought I read that somewhere or other.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

I guess the difference to me is that Willy never accomplished anything; he had a terrible record. Are you really willing to flush Nichols down the toilet after 2 great seasons because he's had 6 or 7 poor games? I agree to get Streveler involved but we can't just declare this to be the end of Nichols.

13 minutes ago, White Out said:

I guess the difference to me is that Willy never accomplished anything; he had a terrible record. Are you really willing to flush Nichols down the toilet after 2 great seasons because he's had 6 or 7 poor games? I agree to get Streveler involved but we can't just declare this to be the end of Nichols.

2 great seasons? Maybe 1 in total and yes it's all about winning. Ppl want to fire coaches cuz they magically think firing the coach will make Nichols not scared to be hit and all of a sudden hes gonna be so much better... But.. It don't matter who the coach is.. If you don't have a QB and we don't.. You are screwed. 7 or 8 games? Try 13 or 14 now. 

So Nichols starts us off with a pic.....then ends the game with a pic......exactly the same as the Cal. game....Does anyone see a similarity....Matt is MIA when the chips are on the line...He has to deliver when that game was still winnable.....he didn't....I've seen enough of him for awhile and IF we don't make a change to Streveler next game (at least partially) this season is in jeopardy...There's no way to shine this crap anymore....Everyone can see we are failing badly and look like a wounded duck....I thought this team was better than what the fans are witnessing now...3 losses in a row at the apex of the season doesn't look promising...Win the banjo or we can start tuning up for next year...Gonna be a lot of unhappy sad faces in these parts if this occurs and the knives will be out

29 minutes ago, Goalie said:

2 great seasons? Maybe 1 in total and yes it's all about winning. Ppl want to fire coaches cuz they magically think firing the coach will make Nichols not scared to be hit and all of a sudden hes gonna be so much better... But.. It don't matter who the coach is.. If you don't have a QB and we don't.. You are screwed. 7 or 8 games? Try 13 or 14 now. 

Jesus, I don't know what Nichols did to you to hate him so much but yeah, he led our team to 2 straight double digit win seasons where our offence was consistently the highest scoring O in the league for those 2 seasons. He's having a bad season and maybe he will decline and this will be it for him. But we don't know that yet.  

3 hours ago, White Out said:

I am not quite ready to give up on Nichols just yet, but I am close to that point. O'Shea keeps trotting him out again and again when it is obvious that he is not doing well instead of putting in the #2 QB to at least break the rhythm of 2 and outs. Just like Willy. Pretty much every QB has off games and sometimes getting him to the sidelines to get a different perspective is the answer. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Edited by Tracker

17 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

221 yards passing per game, 11 touchdowns, 9 interceptions. 4-4 record. His mojo seems to be gone. What is scarier is that I can see this regime trotting out as starter next season when he's scheduled to make $450,000.

Sub 80 standard QB rating vs over .500 teams, around 78.  Has turned the ball over for a TD in each of those games, fumble vs Ottawa and pick six vs Calgary and Sask (which doesn't factor into QB rating).

His QUAR, the CFL QB ranking invented last year to better reflect QB impact on winning games, is just over 60 after the Sask game.  Was 85.7 last season.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

6 hours ago, Tracker said:

and it's getting soooo sickening to watch and listen to. I honestly can't take O'Shea anymore. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

How well Nichols did last year or the year before doesn't really matter anymore. It's what he did last week and the week before that's more relevant. 

Captain%20Obvious_zpsalcyhqsb.png

5 hours ago, J5V said:

and it's getting soooo sickening to watch and listen to. I honestly can't take O'Shea anymore. 

WTF do you want him to say? He's the coach and he needs to choose his words carefully.  He's not a anonymous fan on a message board where he can spout off and say all kinds of crap.  

He can't say that Nichols is playing like shyte.  His confidence is low enough as it is and doesn't need to pile on.  You're a smart guy. You know that.

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

WTF do you want him to say? He's the coach and he needs to choose his words carefully.  He's not a anonymous fan on a message board where he can spout off and say all kinds of crap.  

He can't say that Nichols is playing like shyte.  His confidence is low enough as it is and doesn't need to pile on.  You're a smart guy. You know that.

O'Shea doesn't have to say anything publicly to embarrass Nichols- if Nichols thinks he is doing just fine, he's delusional. All O'Shea need do is spell Nichols off when he is not doing well. That would send a message to the team that this is not good enough and no one's job is guaranteed. That might even take some pressure off Nichols.

54 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I guess I'm a fool because I don't know that. What's wrong with saying "You're playing like crap. Take a seat. We'll get you back out there when you find your game again". 

Y'know, I just watched the Argo-Cats game. Jones, an old-school coach with old-school methods that we were all laughing at and about not that long ago has that team playing some good football. Of note is the play of Jeremiah Masoli, a QB some on here were saying was crap. He looks pretty good to me. He can beat you with his legs and he can throw. How is it he got his chance to play starter with Hamilton yet Streveler can't get the same here? I get that our receiving corp isn't what Hamilton's is but did you hear the interview with Masoli after the game? He thanked management for bringing in new talent and giving these guys a chance to play. That's all we're saying here. Give these guys a chance. 

What I can't stand from O'Shea is the misguided loyalty and cone-of-silence bafflegab BS. 

anim_244162be-2980-10f4-9131-b18b37.gif

You-CanT-Always-Be-Nice.-ThatS-How-Peopl

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I guess I'm a fool because I don't know that. What's wrong with saying "You're playing like crap. Take a seat. We'll get you back out there when you find your game again". 

Y'know, I just watched the Argo-Cats game. Jones, an old-school coach with old-school methods that we were all laughing at and about not that long ago has that team playing some good football. Of note is the play of Jeremiah Masoli, a QB some on here were saying was crap. He looks pretty good to me. He can beat you with his legs and he can throw. How is it he got his chance to play starter with Hamilton yet Streveler can't get the same here? I get that our receiving corp isn't what Hamilton's is but did you hear the interview with Masoli after the game? He thanked management for bringing in new talent and giving these guys a chance to play. That's all we're saying here. Give these guys a chance. 

What I can't stand from O'Shea is the misguided loyalty and cone-of-silence bafflegab BS. 

anim_244162be-2980-10f4-9131-b18b37.gif

You-CanT-Always-Be-Nice.-ThatS-How-Peopl

Nice of you to finally admit that 😉

He means in the media.  he cant publicly come out and lambaste his QB and I dont doubt for a minute he tells him and Lapo in film study and meetings that this is crap and needs to be better..

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

WTF do you want him to say?

"Matt has had a rough few weeks, and I think we're going to let him watch a game or two and see if that helps him out.  Chris is going to start for us on Saturday, and we're going out to win that football game.  At the end of the day, we're in the business to win, and our offence hasn't been performing up to expectations lately, so we're going to see if a change of pace provides a spark."

something along those lines would be just fine.  but would also end just like Will Ferrell in the debate scene in Old School!

what-happened-i-blacked-out.jpg

Edited by trueBlue83

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

Nice of you to finally admit that 😉

He means in the media.  he cant publicly come out and lambaste his QB and I dont doubt for a minute he tells him and Lapo in film study and meetings that this is crap and needs to be better..

But really, has he ? It sure hasn't showed if he has. 

2 hours ago, do or die said:

If Nichols and this O don't get it done in the Banjo Bowl, in front of a live audience.....and we lose our 4th straight, swept by Riders......some push may come to shove.   The demands for more Strev, will become deafening.

Can't be swept by the Riders this weekend. We play them again in October.