LDC/Banjo Bowl

Floyd

I don't expect O'Shea to get fired. My point was simply that if things go from bad to worse this season and Mike does get let go, it started in BC.

I mean, I know it's the CFL and all, but if you were O'Shea's boss, and I told you you had a 17-0 lead late in the third quarter, and you'd also have the ball in the red zone twice more that game, but that you'd lose 20-17, well, that'd be hard to believe. What makes it believable is when you are told your head coach gambled twice on third and short and lost them both.

Those kinds of decisions, like the failed 61 yard field goal he asked his kicker to kick against BC in the WSF two years ago on third and three, like the fake punt cost us another game, also against BC last year, and the fake punt fail against Edmonton in last year's WSF, will get you fired, eventually, just about anywhere not named Winnipeg. 

During Mike's time here, Ottawa has come into the league and won a Grey Cup. Then Toronto, under a brand new management team, wins a Grey Cup in its first season under new coach, Mark Trestman. Mike is on year 5 and has already used up a lot of rope. Every rope has an end.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Its not just the losses that have put O'Shea on the hot seat. Its the downward trajectory this year, two consecutive blowouts going into the LDC/Banjo Bowl series, his (at least perceived) unwillingness to dump unproductive coaches and players and questionable player management. None of these are fatal by themselves but they do add up to problems. If the Bombers get blown out in Regina and lose again in the Banjo Bowl, O'Shea and Co. are in trouble.

Especially if the D get's torched for 1000+ yards in the next 2 games. O'Shea just doesn't get it where the D is concerned and it may be his undoing since he has put his hands on it and it's not just Richie Hall's D any more.

38 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I feel like Bellefuile and Etch shouldn't count ha

agreed, he only got them cause no one wanted to come here. I don't like Lapo and Hall cause they were training wheels coordinators. Couple former head coaches to try and help a still inexperienced head coach in O'Shea. Let's take those training wheels off and let him hire some people he really feels strongly about. 

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

agreed, he only got them cause no one wanted to come here. I don't like Lapo and Hall cause they were training wheels coordinators. Couple former head coaches to try and help a still inexperienced head coach in O'Shea. Let's take those training wheels off and let him hire some people he really feels strongly about. 

Mark Nelson would transform this team into an instant GC contender.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Don't mistake patience with unwillingness to change. 

Don't mistake patience for progress either. O'Shea isn't an inexperience HC anymore. He's in his 5th year. It's way past time to take the training wheels off. Everyone around here knows that Hall should have been gone after last year at the very latest. Mike 'Mr Loyal' O'Shea kept him on anyway. Is that patience or stupidity?

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Don't mistake patience for progress either. O'Shea isn't an inexperience HC anymore. He's in his 5th year. It's way past time to take the training wheels off. Everyone around here knows that Hall should have been gone after last year at the very latest. Mike 'Mr Loyal' O'Shea kept him on anyway. Is that patience or stupidity?

I vote for "misguided loyalty mixed with rigid thinking"

Some people are quite creative when it comes to thinking of  excuses for the shortcomings of the Bombers under O'Shea.

For them it's just never Mike that's at fault. 

One team problem, is the really large swings in overall team performance, O and D.

Special teams is very consistent.

Offence can be great one week, awful the next. Same with the Defence. Sometimes at the same time. sometimes not.

A good team will win some lose some but contending  teams don't swing wildly like this.

How did Ottawa /Calgary pulverize the Bombers? I think some individual records were set against us.

Three players of the week, on one of the opponents. 

Losing to Ottawa/Calgary is one thing. Getting utterly demolished is another.

Not a clue why that is, and it's not cause the team is crappy.

Edited by Mark F

55 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Organizations that have stability in coaching and management generally do better in the long run - Patriots, Spurs ... But you’re right, 5 years and really little progress - maybe even regression - is enough. I think Walters will survive this, but 9-9 or worse and a first round knock out - I think O’Shea might not survive that. Certainly not Hall. Nichols will be in a QB competition too. 

56 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Not a clue why that is, and it's not cause the team is crappy.

I agree, the talent is there.  Sure the receivers could be better, but we have the best OL, the best RB, a solid front 7 on D, and some good talent in the secondary.

We have weaknesses, but so does everyone else.  When you watch teams like Montreal and Saskatchewan win games - the Bombers are quite frankly out of excuses.

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

Organizations that have stability in coaching and management generally do better in the long run - Patriots, Spurs ... But you’re right, 5 years and really little progress - maybe even regression - is enough. I think Walters will survive this, but 9-9 or worse and a first round knock out - I think O’Shea might not survive that. Certainly not Hall. Nichols will be in a QB competition too. 

Some are hoping the QB competition has begun.

19 hours ago, White Out said:

If we don't win a playoff game this year I'd love to hear why MOS deserves another year of our time to waste. 

He deserves TWO more years because that's what he managed to negotiate in his contract. Miller has no money to pay two head coaches. Same goes for any other member of our management group with time left on their contracts. Miller also has to pay himself. Not cheap.

There is no money. We owe hundreds of millions.

7 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

The secret to winning is constant, consistent management.” -- Tom Landry

Sorry I guess it won't let me quote your tagline.

Yes, I wish it said "-good- management".

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

Y’all are some miserable sky is falling folks 

Help me out here. What can I take away from the last two games that would give me some hope?