LDC/Banjo Bowl

Floyd

21 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I know O'Shea is all about catching the ball and run up field on special teams.  But I long for the days when we had a dedicated speed demon that was an actual threat to take one to the house.  None of our returners put the fear of god in to anybody. 

It's a important aspect of the game which can flip the field for the return team.  

Fogg is pretty good on punts.  Might be better if he was the extra DB and didn't play every snap on D.

I don't think he's all about catching it and going up field, we run more reverses and trick plays on returns than anyone.

I'd get Simonise on kickoffs, he was a terror for the Dinos on them.

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

Cross over here we come

lol, that was my guess in the prediction thread.

I know some people didn't agree with me before but MOS was on thin ice until Nichols saved his job. He owes his job to Nichols and is going to give him every chance. MOS is not a good coach, nor are Hall & Lapo, they'd be employed elsewhere if they were. Whether you believe it or not Winnipeg is the last resort for coaches.

This will be my last year as a season ticket holder until the next rebuild starts, and if they start with a quality GM (someone like Huff), I'm done. 28 years is long enough. 

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Fogg is pretty good on punts.  Might be better if he was the extra DB and didn't play every snap on D.

I don't think he's all about catching it and going up field, we run more reverses and trick plays on returns than anyone.

I'd get Simonise on kickoffs, he was a terror for the Dinos on them.

Not sure we do but even so. Unless you have a returner with the speed to get to the outside. It's going to be a bunch of 5 and 10 yard returns.  But as long as you don't fumble I guess that's OK.  

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

I know some people didn't agree with me before but MOS was on thin ice until Nichols saved his job. He owes his job to Nichols and is going to give him every chance. MOS is not a good coach, nor are Hall & Lapo, they'd be employed elsewhere if they were. Whether you believe it or not Winnipeg is the last resort for coaches.

This will be my last year as a season ticket holder until the next rebuild starts, and if they start with a quality GM (someone like Huff), I'm done. 28 years is long enough

and GMs, I suspect. 

I understand. One of the callers to Bob today said that the fans need to vote with their wallets and quit supporting the team until the Board gets serious about hiring top-notched, experienced personnel. 

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

This will be my last year as a season ticket holder until the next rebuild starts, and if they start with a quality GM (someone like Huff), I'm done. 28 years is long enough. 

It was but the stability provided by Miller and Walters should help the candidate pool the next go round.

9 minutes ago, J5V said:

and GMs, I suspect. 

I understand. One of the callers to Bob today said that the fans need to vote with their wallets and quit supporting the team until the Board gets serious about hiring top-notched, experienced personnel. 

Like who? Buono? Hes done. Popp? Toronto not so good. 

Seriously name 1... What we need is to stop hiring retreads like Lapo and Hall and start giving young innovative minds a shot instead. But really.. Its all irrelevant until you have a QB.. 

Nichols was average at best a backups backup really.. Had a few good games here.. Maybe 1 season in reality.. And ppl think hes awesome but the reality is right now hes the worst starter in the league. 

CFL is all about the QB.. If you dont have an elite one... You are what we are. An average likely 500 or just below team.. Im honestly not convinced that we win another game with Nichols as QB..

Harris and demski go off for 200 on the ground.. The D gives up maybe 300 or so net yards.. We lose. Why? Cuz our QB cant throw. Hes done. With Average QB play we have atleast 6 maybe 7 wins. 

We lost cuz our QB threw high and behind into double coverage. We lost because they ran a punt back for a TD. We lost because they mostly blocked a FG. All that in the first half when we dominated the game, the yards and the TOP, while holding them to about 100 yards of offense.

We lost because we went 2 and out a couple of times in a row when we needed a drive. We lost because we covered the 3 yards they needed, but ignored the deep ball. We lost because our QB threw an 8 yard out badly resulting in another pick, when we needed to go down the field. We lost cuz of a busted coverage that resulted in a TD.

Edited by TBURGESS

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Like who? Buono? Hes done. Popp? Toronto not so good. 

Seriously name 1... What we need is to stop hiring retreads like Lapo and Hall and start giving young innovative minds a shot instead. But really.. Its all irrelevant until you have a QB.. 

Nichols was average at best a backups backup really.. Had a few good games here.. Maybe 1 season in reality.. And ppl think hes awesome but the reality is right now hes the worst starter in the league. 

CFL is all about the QB.. If you dont have an elite one... You are what we are. An average likely 500 or just below team.. Im honestly not convinced that we win another game with Nichols as QB..

Harris and demski go off for 200 on the ground.. The D gives up maybe 300 or so net yards.. We lose. Why? Cuz our QB cant throw. Hes done. With Average QB play we have atleast 6 maybe 7 wins. 

Agreed on the QB ie. Toronto has one, hire Popp and Trestman and bang, instant Grey Cup. Why can't we do that? Answer: Because we're Winnipeg.

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

Agreed on the QB ie. Toronto has one, hire Popp and Trestman and bang, instant Grey Cup. Why can't we do that? Answer: Because we're Winnipeg.

Do they? Little early on MBT imo. 

Torontos starter got hurt... Forced to play backup who wasnt good so forced to play him.. Cuz their starter done for year. Part of me feels if Nichols was out all season we'd have a better record. 

11 hours ago, Floyd said:

Ottawa and Toronto were gifted Grey Cups because they play in the East...

Really...   Edmonton and Calgary had pretty good teams that lost those games.  Do you think the Bombers could have won those cups had they been in the east?  I don't like the playoff format myself, but it is what it is.

Game turned out about how I expected to. Rush three and control Nichols.  Harris did well in the first half like he usually does, he is a first half superstar.  He isn't getting any younger and I have said this before, he has no legs left in second half.   We were missing Brooks at DT, he will be back next week.   Bombers out scored in second half again.   Nichols is who I have always said he was, won't get into that right now.  I didn't notice as many Bombers fans this year as there usually is, not sure why.  Was a good game and I am super happy we won although I expected us to.  This week I expect we may lose in the Peg, should be another good game. 

36 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Really...   Edmonton and Calgary had pretty good teams that lost those games.  Do you think the Bombers could have won those cups had they been in the east?  I don't like the playoff format myself, but it is what it is.

Minor thing here - but it was actually Calgary that choked in both those GCs (2016 / 2017). When Edmonton got over the hump in 2014, they took care of business against Ottawa. If nothing else, the past few Grey Cup have proven your record means nothing... could the Bombers have won if they were in from the East? Maybe, but so could any other team put in a similar situation.

14 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Minor thing here - but it was actually Calgary that choked in both those GCs (2016 / 2017). When Edmonton got over the hump in 2014, they took care of business against Ottawa. If nothing else, the past few Grey Cup have proven your record means nothing... could the Bombers have won if they were in from the East? Maybe, but so could any other team put in a similar situation.

Sorry about that, I should have quickly checked before I posted.   The point stands.  You have to win the game when you have the chance. 

11 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Sorry about that, I should have quickly checked before I posted.   The point stands.  You have to win the game when you have the chance. 

Agreed, entertaining game yesterday but once again when the chips were down and Nichols had the opportunity to drive the field and be the hero, he not only faltered, but imploded in spectacular fashion.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

There will be no panic from the organization nor should there be. A win next week and they could be in a tie for second in the west. Time to tale a deep breath and move on. 

I don't think there should be any panic either. Its one game.  As good as it was for us to win it, its still one game. Lots of football yet to be played

Ok it’s time to discuss the name of the rematch game coming this weekend. 

Troy Westwood so eloquently named the fans from SK who includes Troy’s Mom Banjo Picking Inbreds. At the time it was funny. What is beyond funny to the point of stupid is the name of the rematch in Winnipeg. Football Bowl games are named by that which happens for the home team. For example the Rose bowl takes place in Pasadena known for Roses. The Orange Bowl takes place in Miami. I could go on but I’m sure you get the picture. Think about it and then tell anyone why Winnipeg would call the rematch the Banjo Bowl? No doubt the idea was to continue with the smack talk name given to Rider fans. When in fact the name Banjo Bowl in Winnipeg makes it sound like Winnipeg is the Banjo picking capital. I lived in Vancouver for 7 years. The fans their do think that Winnipeg is the Banjo people  

On the other side in today’s so called politically correct world. Even names like Eskimos is being frowned upon. So banjo picking inbreds might be way over the line. 

2018 Labour Day Classic was very quite calm in disrespectful junk leading up to the game. Most of the focus was on the contest or the game itself. Far too many fans in the past have gone overboard and taken what is suppose to be entertainment and taken it personally. Leading to verbal threats and stupid acts of assault. 

With all this being said. It’s time to rename the Banjo Bowl to something more respectful for both the Manitoba and SK fans. 

4 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

Troy Westwood so eloquently named the fans from SK who includes Troy’s Mom Banjo Picking Inbreds. At the time it was funny. What is beyond funny to the point of stupid is the name of the rematch in Winnipeg. Football Bowl games are named by that which happens for the home team. For example the Rose bowl takes place in Pasadena known for Roses. The Orange Bowl takes place in Miami. I could go on but I’m sure you get the picture. Think about it and then tell anyone why Winnipeg would call the rematch the Banjo Bowl? No doubt the idea was to continue with the smack talk name given to Rider fans. When in fact the name Banjo Bowl in Winnipeg makes it sound like Winnipeg is the Banjo picking capital. I lived in Vancouver for 7 years. The fans their do think that Winnipeg is the Banjo people  

On the other side in today’s so called politically correct world. Even names like Eskimos is being frowned upon. So banjo picking inbreds might be way over the line. 

2018 Labour Day Classic was very quite calm in disrespectful junk leading up to the game. Most of the focus was on the contest or the game itself. Far too many fans in the past have gone overboard and taken what is suppose to be entertainment and taken it personally. Leading to verbal threats and stupid acts of assault. 

With all this being said. It’s time to rename the Banjo Bowl to something more respectful for both the Manitoba and SK fans. 

Call it whatever you want. 

When I lived in Vancouver, I spoke to very few people who cared about the CFL and even fewer who followed anything but the Lions. 

26 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

Tell you what, when Sask. agrees to rotate the L.D.C. between the two cities as they used to, the Bombers will change the name of the Banjo Bowl.  Till then, it stays the same.