LDC/Banjo Bowl

Floyd

2 hours ago, BBRT said:

While I agree with your thoughts I have some problems with a few things - First of all IMHO the Bombers came out strong against very weak opponents. The second problem I have with your thoughts (which I appreciate BTW) is that you assume the Bomber management can identify the problems and take corrective action to remedy. I am not sure I can agree with that. I have not seen anything that would give me much faith that they understand what the problem is and have any idea how to fix the problem. 

I hope I am wrong but given what we have seen over the past 5 years since MOS has been on board and especially with Richie Hall (who IMHO is the major issue with the defense) I have little faith that they can or are willing to take the necessary corrective action.

Oh considering they have gone from a terrible team to a team where winning games is expected I would say they are able to identify what isn't working and make changes. The problem is we have a very impatient fan base here and a very patient coach. They make changes, just not at the rate fans want.

So be patient. The sun will come up tomorrow regardless.

11 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Except this “slump” is 28 years running in a 9 team league. That is futility. While you may like to remain optimistic I tend to not keep the blinders on. I will remain concerned as what has transpired so far this far and hope they can get rid of this trend of mediocrity.

It's not a 28 year slump. Forget about when they last won the grey cup and look at the big picture. It's a couple games of shitty play. This team can bounce back from that and it's not about winning the grey cup once, it's about building a foundation that leads to consistent results, and they are doing that.

12 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

A QB change here isn't necessarily the answer. Sask got their #1 back and TO has found theirs. MTL has been looking for two years and likely have it in Manziel and Pipkin. Personally I don't think our answer is in Streveler. He definitely has an upside and will be the future but he is not ready yet. However, I do feel they should use him more but we all know that MOS won't.

But at a certain point it becomes clear that Nichols only leads to mediocrity, depending on the state of the rest of the league.  We're clearly behind Calgary and usually behind one of Edmonton or BC.  If Sask has a good year we're probably fourth.  How many years do we want to do this on repeat?  Kind of similar to Glenn that way IMO.   When you get to that point that you continuously stall out in the playoffs (and maybe even in the regular season) you move on.

1 hour ago, BomberBall said:

Have you had good luck with this site?  I went to it and it only shows games that have already been played.  Will the LDC pop up at game time?

im in the states this weekend and obviously want to watch.

I have watched about half a dozen games on it. Montreal, Ottawa was very good on Friday. Explore the site further, there are live games. 

15 hours ago, Tracker said:

Ummmm,,,,,,,,look at the final score?

When you quote Spuds I have to see his post. Please stop. :)

Yeah, 20 point 4th quarter is being demolished.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

WOOO HOOO Go BOMBERS GO!!!!

ITS GAME DAY....!!! YAY!

*read quote*

Daaaamn man.. you are the the type of guy who enjoys pissing in someone's cornflakes.

You're the kinda guy who rains all over people's parades... 

You're the guy who pops a child's balloon

You're the guy who reminds a diner where veal comes from.

Why do you even bother "cheering" for this team? 

I still don't know if you are a troll.

You are like the source, just less obvious.

Anyways Debbie downer- I hope you can enjoy the game.

What a crock of crap! You take a post about why folks are so angry these days and turn it into a childish, trolling, tired, cliche'd personal attack. I guess you upped the ante because I ignored your last post calling me a troll. FTR: Troll doesn't mean 'disagrees with you'.

I've been a fan of the Bombers for more than 50 years. I've cheered for them through thick and thin. I've seen them win and lose Grey Cups on TV and in person. I've had seasons tickets in 3 different cities. I've been on these boards for as long as some of them, like this one, have even been around. I'm happy to discuss both the good and the bad. I wouldn't do these things if I wasn't a fan or didn't enjoy it.

To me being a fan isn't all sunshine and lolly pops, singing kumbaya around a campfire, Unicorns farting rainbows, and everything is really really great no matter how the team is playing. I leave that to the Susie Sunshine's around here.

It's almost game time, so I'll crack open a wobbly pop, put my jersey on and push myself away from the keyboard. Hopefully we win, but I'm not counting on it. No matter what tho, I'll be back later today or tomorrow to discuss the game, cuz that's what this fan does.

2 hours ago, ddanger said:

Very much agree with this concise statement. I very rarely watch other teams play, and I watched the whole Montreal/Ottawa game the other night. What a breath of fresh air in Montreal with their new QB! Their entire team was energized, and took it to Ottawa. I'm not ready quite yet to advocate for a QB change, but our predictable offence really needs some sort of a shot in the arm. And I just can't accept that losing Dressler has killed us offensively. I'm pining it on LaPo.

I couldn't agree more. It's always the same with Lapo. Brilliant at times, then goes ultra conservative and frankly, well, the opposite of brilliant. 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I see a fan base who thought this team was way better than it's turning out to be. We beat some bad teams and believed that we were the second best team in the league, some folks even thought that Calgary wasn't that big a deal anymore. Now that we've played a couple of +.500 teams and we've seen where we really stand, those fans are beginning to realize that we aren't as good as they thought we were. That's where the anger comes from.

If we lose today, and that's a real good possibility IMO, these sites will be full of anger, hate and sadness as well as calls for patience and hope. We've already gone from talking about hosting a playoff game to just making the playoffs and see what happens.

This fan base is never far from being angry. 28 years without a championship will do that to a fan base. When the team plays well, albeit against weaker teams, it offers some hope. The optimists say "See?" and the pessimists dare once again to hope we've finally turned the corner. Then come the bizarre coaching decisions, undisciplined play, poor performances, and the anger, which was bubbling just below the surface, quickly rises to a full boil again.

I am of the mind that this organization cares about winning only in as much as it affects the bottom line. I get that. We're in debt, and Miller is a business man. As long as he can put bums in the seats and beg the province for enough operating capital to keep paying his, Walters, O'Shea's, etc. salary, then sadly nothing will change. If we do manage to win a championship it will be a fluke and won't be sustainable. 

To win a championship or two, the focus must shift from running a successful sports business to the pursuit of winning at all costs. The difference would look like it does in just about any city not named Winnipeg. Saskatchewan will do just about anything to win including cheating. Calgary settles for nothing but the best and are a model of consistent excellence. The same can be said, more or less, for Edmonton and Toronto, and Hamilton and even Montreal have made huge strides. Us? We tend to sit pat. We're happy with what we've got. We win some games, manage our business. We talk the talk but that's just to appease the fans. We don't walk the walk. If we did, we'd have seen coaches and GMs like Trestman, Buono, Claybrooks, Popp, Stubler, etc. instead of Kelly, Mack, Lapo, Walters, Burke, O'Shea.

39 minutes ago, White Out said:

The whole point is to win the championship. I get that you're trying to focus on the short-term, but ignoring the long-term suffering of fans who have been watching this team stink for nearly three decades is really obnoxious. 

But the past is just that, the past. What happened 28 years or 20 years or 15 year or 10 years or even 5 years ago has no impact on the bombers right now. 

Focussing on when the last cup was and the firing at the first step backwards has led to more pain and suffering for this fanbase. It's useless to use 1990 as anything significant.

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

This fan base is never far from being angry. 28 years without a championship will do that to a fan base. When the team plays well, albeit against weaker teams, it offers some hope. The optimists say "See?" and the pessimists dare once again to hope we've finally turned the corner. Then come the bizarre coaching decisions, undisciplined play, poor performances, and the anger, which was bubbling just below the surface, quickly rises to a full boil again.

I am of the mind that this organization cares about winning only in as much as it affects the bottom line. I get that. We're in debt, and Miller is a business man. As long as he can put bums in the seats and beg the province for enough operating capital to keep paying his, Walters, O'Shea's, etc. salary, then sadly nothing will change. If we do manage to win a championship it will be a fluke and won't be sustainable. 

To win a championship or two, the focus must shift from running a successful sports business to the pursuit of winning at all costs. The difference would look like it does in just about any city not named Winnipeg. Saskatchewan will do just about anything to win including cheating. Calgary settles for nothing but the best and are a model of consistent excellence. The same can be said, more or less, for Edmonton and Toronto, and Hamilton and even Montreal have made huge strides. Us? We tend to sit pat. We're happy with what we've got. We win some games, manage our business. We talk the talk but that's just to appease the fans. We don't walk the walk. If we did, we'd have seen coaches and GMs like Trestman, Buono, Claybrooks, Popp, Stubler, etc. instead of Kelly, Mack, Lapo, Walters, Burke, O'Shea.

They have done that this year.  They are on pace to break the cap.  They are all-in.  Problem is that it looks like they are all-in with the wrong QB, but who knows how much the injury has affected that.

How did they stand pat?  They've signed more free agents than anyone but Montreal and re-signed everyone but peripheral players like Bond.  If anything I wish they'd focus more on scouting and developing some imports.

Popp is a brutal GM and has been for a long time.  Buono too.  Trestman hasn't won **** without hall of fame QBing.  Stubler and Claybrooks could die at any moment.

2 hours ago, BomberBall said:

Have you had good luck with this site?  I went to it and it only shows games that have already been played.  Will the LDC pop up at game time?

im in the states this weekend and obviously want to watch.

ESPN+. I’ve watched three games live in the states in the last two months using it. 

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They have done that this year.  They are on pace to break the cap.  They are all-in.  Problem is that it looks like they are all-in with the wrong QB, but who knows how much the injury has affected that.

How did they stand pat?  They've signed more free agents than anyone but Montreal and re-signed everyone but peripheral players like Bond.  If anything I wish they'd focus more on scouting and developing some imports.

Popp is a brutal GM and has been for a long time.  Buono too.  Trestman hasn't won **** without hall of fame QBing.  Stubler and Claybrooks could die at any moment.

I respect your opinion, JBR. Always have. You're knowledgable about football and I've learned a few things from you. That said, winning at all costs might have looked like not hiring a green President, a green GM, and a green Head Coach all at the same time. It might have looked like firing Hall and bringing in a guy like Mark Nelson. It might have looked like bringing in experienced football operations personnel like Jim Barker. Say what you will about Popp, and I'm certainly no big fan, but the guy wins championships. Same with Trestman, Buono, Stubler and Claybrooks. Just win, baby.

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

I respect your opinion, JBR. Always have. You're knowledgable about football and I've learned a few things from you. That said, winning at all costs might have looked like not hiring a green President, a green GM, and a green Head Coach all at the same time. It might have looked like firing Hall and bringing in a guy like Mark Nelson. It might have looked like bringing in experienced football operations personnel like Jim Barker. Say what you will about Popp, and I'm certainly no big fan, but the guy wins championships. Same with Trestman, Buono, Stubler and Claybrooks. Just win, baby.

Except those rookies have totally changed the culture here.  They are winning and winning more consistently than any regime here since Cal Murphy.

Hall has more rings than Nelson.  Nelson could have been hired a DC by any team in the league this year and wasn't.  Why is he so great?  Popp and Trestman have never developed a QB.  Popp in almost 3 decades as a GM/Head Coach in the CFL has never developed a QB.  Not a guy I want unless you can be sure that a hall of fame calibre QB is going to be a free agent.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Except those rookies have totally changed the culture here.  They are winning and winning more consistently than any regime here since Cal Murphy.

Hall has more rings than Nelson.  Nelson could have been hired a DC by any team in the league this year and wasn't.  Why is he so great?  Popp and Trestman have never developed a QB.  Popp in almost 3 decades as a GM/Head Coach in the CFL has never developed a QB.  Not a guy I want unless you can be sure that a hall of fame calibre QB is going to be a free agent.

Do you think the fans care about the new culture while we're getting our heads kicked in back-to-back against Ottawa and Calgary? Do you think the fans will care about the new culture if we follow that up with another severe beating at the hands of Sask?

Our QB of the future likely lies with either Streveler and/or Bennet. How is their development coming along getting little to no playing time while Nichols stinks out the joint? 

My point with Nelson wasn't that he is some kind of saviour but that if he flames out bring in the next guy and repeat until you get the right guy in here.

We stand pat and are seemingly afraid to make changes at the risk of consistency and loyalty. Every other team in the league seems to make changes when they perceive a weakness at a given position. Are they all wrong?

4 hours ago, J5V said:

Do you think the fans care about the new culture while we're getting our heads kicked in back-to-back against Ottawa and Calgary? Do you think the fans will care about the new culture if we follow that up with another severe beating at the hands of Sask?

Our QB of the future likely lies with either Streveler and/or Bennet. How is their development coming along getting little to no playing time while Nichols stinks out the joint? 

My point with Nelson wasn't that he is some kind of saviour but that if he flames out bring in the next guy and repeat until you get the right guy in here.

We stand pat and are seemingly afraid to make changes at the risk of consistency and loyalty. Every other team in the league seems to make changes when they perceive a weakness at a given position. Are they all wrong?

There is a quotation in therapy, "If nothing changes, then nothing changes".

If we can't beat Saskatchewan then our schedule leaves us only the Montreal game where we stand a chance of winning and I don't think we can beat them. We may have been gifted all the games we're going to win this year. 5-13?

Every team knows how to adjust to Hall's D to open it up in the second half.

Every team knows how to adjust to Lapo's O to shut it down in the second half.

When's the last time we won the game-battle on special teams?

6 minutes ago, J5V said:

If we can't beat Saskatchewan then our schedule leaves us only the Montreal game where we stand a chance of winning and I don't think we can beat them. We may have been gifted all the games we're going to win this year. 5-13?

Every team knows how to adjust to Hall's D to open it up in the second half.

Every team knows how to adjust to Lapo's O to shut it down in the second half.

When's the last time we won the game-battle on special teams?

I know O'Shea is all about catching the ball and run up field on special teams.  But I long for the days when we had a dedicated speed demon that was an actual threat to take one to the house.  None of our returners put the fear of god in to anybody. 

It's a important aspect of the game which can flip the field for the return team.  

Edited by B-F-F-C