Game Day Thread - League Opener: Eskies

BigBlue

56 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They didn’t need to stop the clock.  Clock stops after every play inside 3 minute warning until the 20 second clock starts.  Would have been more advantageous to keep the clock moving as much as possible and either kick to win with no time left or get to OT and take your chances.

I think it would have been better to advance the ball with the time we had left ...a minute and change...and kick a winner ourselves... Every second counts and running around in our backfield to throw an iffy pass, not once but twice, was wasting valuable time...The longer a play takes to develop takes time off the clock, it doesn't stop until the play is dead in that instance...I thought we could have played it better

Edited by Stickem

The mere fact that fans are talking about the loss, and the way we lost, instead of how we played a rookie 23 yr. old QB and were this close to snagging a victory, should be brought up time and time again.

Last year, and the backup QBs we had, we would have been out of this game early with no chance to come back. 

Channel the inner Streveler, and revel in the fact that we have a real back up QB.

The wins will be coming soon..

pretty much every game there is a bust...or two...and huge impact plays that make a guy look inept and horrible...thats football.

The two biggest plays in my opinion..The 2 point convert and the Walker Td were plays that if were to happen exactly again would or could go in our favor...and back and forth it goes...**** happens

Hardly an indicator after one game...the first game with all the regulars that the scheme and personnel are suspect...give it 3-4 games first

2 hours ago, Booch said:

pretty much every game there is a bust...or two...and huge impact plays that make a guy look inept and horrible...thats football.

The two biggest plays in my opinion..The 2 point convert and the Walker Td were plays that if were to happen exactly again would or could go in our favor...and back and forth it goes...**** happens

Hardly an indicator after one game...the first game with all the regulars that the scheme and personnel are suspect...give it 3-4 games first

While it is just one game and the first of the season at that, there is reason for optimism. We lost to Reilly- probably the best QB in the league, but the secondary play was the spitting image of what we have been witnessing since Hall's arrival. The first TD of the Esks was a perfect toss to a very good receiver coupled with a stumble by Randle. That was just one play, but there were other plays that a good secondary just doesn't give up all game. The 408 passing yards given up were the same old, same old. Bighill is at least as good as he was supposed to be, our receivers were good and Streveler had a GREAT debut. He's just going to get better and better- a younger, bigger, stronger version of Dunigan.

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup, last year the bombers were playing so so football. It was that montreal come back that really turned it on and that was in week...4? I think anyway. Losing is no fun, but a week one loss isn't a season ending disaster. Especially when it's a loss like the one last night.

You know when you know somebody who gives you reliable information, somebody who knows somebody sort of thing. And that source gives you tip top information? Insight. And you get to look forward to that source’s information.

That’s good. 

Then, something changes, your source moves, or changes jobs, whatever, and now the inside info is gone.

The source dries up.

We can only hope..😃

I like how we were pretty aggressive with Streveler however with a minute twenty on the clock after a poor kickoff return there's no excuse for not keeping the ball on the ground and keeping the clock running. That 2 and 0 killed us there.  You run on first and run a draw play on second. If you make a big play then you go more aggressive. You don't leave Edmonton the maximum amount of clock there.

37 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I like how we were pretty aggressive with Streveler however with a minute twenty on the clock after a poor kickoff return there's no excuse for not keeping the ball on the ground and keeping the clock running. That 2 and 0 killed us there.  You run on first and run a draw play on second. If you make a big play then you go more aggressive. You don't leave Edmonton the maximum amount of clock there.

Thought the O play calling was a bit iffy. They moved the ball quite nicely while using the run option but got away from it once they got the lead.. Like they expected the D to not implode in the final minutes. Too conservative from Lapo. 

I was expecting a loss but I have to admit I was pretty pissed off at how they lost, with yet another defensive collapse.  However, upon sober reflection I'm not as upset.  Streveler shows some potential and our O looks strong.  Still not happy with. the secondary but let's see them against a more ordinary QB.  What worries me is the Reilly and BLM are in our division so getting to the GC will be tough if past trends continue.

It is amazing that we are not complaining about the 23 year old Rookie QB that took the field and scored three touchdowns.. Rather how the D was not able to make a stop to win the game or send it in to OT. 

Strevler played better then i expected showed a lot of promise.. If he does the same in montreal, we will likely come out with a win. 

It was nice to see his dad in stands cheering and looking so happy!

I mean this with zero sarcasm, I am genuinely impressed with how a lot of posters can just dust it off and move on. I am so over the top frustrated with this team it's actually really hindering my enjoyment of the game. Watching this D continue to sabotage our club makes me want to put my skull in a vice.

I'm of course ever hopeful for better results next week but man.

1 hour ago, White Out said:

I mean this with zero sarcasm, I am genuinely impressed with how a lot of posters can just dust it off and move on. I am so over the top frustrated with this team it's actually really hindering my enjoyment of the game. Watching this D continue to sabotage our club makes me want to put my skull in a vice.

I am as well, it's beyond frustrating. Almost to the point were I tell myself I'm going to stop watching them because if this defence doesn't figure it out soon this will be a VERY long season and somebody will have to be gone.

Side note: just watched the highlight of the Wolitarski touchdown, Rod Black is calling him Wally.

Edited by Gotmilt

21 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

I am as well, it's beyond frustrating. Almost to the point were I tell myself I'm going to stop watching them because if this defence doesn't figure it out soon this will be a VERY long season and somebody will have to be gone.

Side note: just watched the highlight of the Wolitarski touchdown, Rod Black is calling him Wally.

Wally Wolitarsky.  How can anyone not appreciate the genius of Rod Black?!?!?!!?

So sick of getting beat by Reilly and having to hear how great he is. How much longer will we have to tolerate this guy stealing our lunch money?

4 hours ago, White Out said:

Just breathe...its week 1.

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

While it is just one game and the first of the season at that, there is reason for optimism. We lost to Reilly- probably the best QB in the league, but the secondary play was the spitting image of what we have been witnessing since Hall's arrival. The first TD of the Esks was a perfect toss to a very good receiver coupled with a stumble by Randle. That was just one play, but there were other plays that a good secondary just doesn't give up all game. The 408 passing yards given up were the same old, same old. Bighill is at least as good as he was supposed to be, our receivers were good and Streveler had a GREAT debut. He's just going to get better and better- a younger, bigger, stronger version of Dunigan.

It’s not a spitting image last year there would be no one within 20 yards of the pass. Simply put Mike Reilly is the best QB of this decade and was lights out. 

5 hours ago, White Out said:

There QB is the best in the league played really good. Is going to do this to a lot of teams in this league. If Nichols plays we score 40 and probably win. 

16 hours ago, White Out said:

I mean this with zero sarcasm, I am genuinely impressed with how a lot of posters can just dust it off and move on. I am so over the top frustrated with this team it's actually really hindering my enjoyment of the game

I just wanted to pop on here quickly and let you know there IS help for that. You really don't have to live this way. I've spent the last couple months in a deep dive into mental illness, depression and anxiety. There's meds and there's therapy....and it WORKS....trust me. You don't have to live that way....

Carry on...

16 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

It is amazing that we are not complaining about the 23 year old Rookie QB that took the field and scored three touchdowns.. Rather how the D was not able to make a stop to win the game or send it in to OT. 

Strevler played better then i expected showed a lot of promise.. If he does the same in montreal, we will likely come out with a win. 

It was nice to see his dad in stands cheering and looking so happy!

Streveler is not going to be the biggest problem as long as the Neufeld factor does not get him in a hospital bed and as long as his confidence holds up while he learns.

Good chance this kid makes it some day as a starting QB in the CFL if the Bombers don't manage to ruin his confidence like they did with Willy.