Game Day Thread - League Opener: Eskies

BigBlue

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm no Richie Hall fan but I have a tough time putting the blame solely on him.  The talent in our secondary simply doesn't measure up to Derel Walker and Duke Williams.  Gaitor and Fogg..... not good enough.

I thought Fogg was alright last night. Randle had a rough night and Gaitor was a disaster. The secondary looked about the same as it did last season, giving up way too much and getting beat too easily.

Is that on personnel or the system in place? I don't know but that soft zone crap seems to be entirely ineffective.

A few quick thoughts.....

Streveler started (predictably) a little shaky, but settled down and played pretty well for a 23 year old rookie making his first start. Like many others have said I think we needed to let him use his feet and run the ball. He should get better, and I think the offence will get better as a result.

Mike Reilly was at his vintage self last night, should've been sacked several times and escaped to throw completions. How many times have we seen him do this to us and many other teams! 

I thought our secondary played just like last year, and when the game was on the line they got torched....again. We've changed the players, and we still get the same result. What else can it be but the system?? And therefore the coach. I'm willing to wait one more week before I jump on the fire Hall band wagon.

Does anybody else think that we may have lost Ross to a hamstring injury?? As a twitter doctor, that's my diagnosis.

9 hours ago, bryan35 said:

Why close the rum hut ?

Because it's out on the open concourse and they weren't allowing people to walk across there, nevermind stand in line.  They wanted everyone to take cover because of the lightning.

27 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I thought Fogg was alright last night. Randle had a rough night and Gaitor was a disaster. The secondary looked about the same as it did last season, giving up way too much and getting beat too easily.

Is that on personnel or the system in place? I don't know but that soft zone crap seems to be entirely ineffective.

Randle had coverage and just made a mistake on the first long TD of the night. I don't think there is anything a coach can do for that. Randle usually makes that play and probably will in the future. 

Similarly, if it was a quarterback other than Reilly we could have had a few more sacks. Or at least a few holding calls.

I'll re-watch the game again later but my sense was that it was just two teams that went back and forth with hot and cold spells. The defense let us down at the end but there was a good chunk of that game where Edmonton couldn't get anything going at all. 

54 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm no Richie Hall fan but I have a tough time putting the blame solely on him.  The talent in our secondary simply doesn't measure up to Derel Walker and Duke Williams.  Gaitor and Fogg..... not good enough.

Well I think it’s time we play coverages with more safety support and stop sending LB/Loffler blitzes every passing down in such a predictable fashion.  The Eskimos were laughing at our blitzes by the 2nd half.

Loffler in coverage was a huge liability in this game, total non-factor.  Better as a blitzer but we need an actual safety otherwise it’ll be another year of getting torched by Eskimos, Stampeders, Lions Ticats and Argos.

15 minutes ago, ddanger said:

A few quick thoughts.....

Streveler started (predictably) a little shaky, but settled down and played pretty well for a 23 year old rookie making his first start. Like many others have said I think we needed to let him use his feet and run the ball. He should get better, and I think the offence will get better as a result.

Mike Reilly was at his vintage self last night, should've been sacked several times and escaped to throw completions. How many times have we seen him do this to us and many other teams! 

I thought our secondary played just like last year, and when the game was on the line they got torched....again. We've changed the players, and we still get the same result. What else can it be but the system?? And therefore the coach. I'm willing to wait one more week before I jump on the fire Hall band wagon.

Does anybody else think that we may have lost Ross to a hamstring injury?? As a twitter doctor, that's my diagnosis.

This in itself was the difference in the game and this is what makes Reilly the best QB in the league.  The pressure was consistent last night but his strength allowed him to escape the pressure and throw a completion.  His downfield vision is the best in the league but I honestly was impressed with how many times we pressured him.  

The one thing we need to do is not over pursue and play more of a contain game.   

3 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

We lost by 3 to a good team that needed a stupid PI call and a two point convert to even have a shot. 

Both sides of the ball really struggled at times but we will be fine. 

I was at the game and still haven't had a chance to see a good replay of that call, but it looked to me like 2 guys getting caught up and one falling?  I actually thought O'Shea would challenge it.

I'm not too concerned about the big plays...defence was in the right spot. Just gotta make the play. I didn't like that long drive at the end. ******* slant in....slant in slant in...get up in their face!!! Poor clock management and play calling on defence. They couldn't afford to let the esks slowly go down the field and drain the clock for their rookie QB. 

1 minute ago, BomberBall said:

I was at the game and still haven't had a chance to see a good replay of that call, but it looked to me like 2 guys getting caught up and one falling?  I actually thought O'Shea would challenge it.

Unfortunately watching the replay on tv you could see their was legit contact. it was the right call

1 minute ago, BomberBall said:

Can't challenge PI calls anymore.

You can see the DB push the WR slightly which caused him to fall. By the book, probably a flag. I was just skeptical because I think that play at that time very infrequently draws a flag.

2 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

You can see the DB push the WR slightly which caused him to fall. By the book, probably a flag. I was just skeptical because I think that play at that time very infrequently draws a flag.

Really?  How the heck did I miss that?  Thanks.  I'm actually glad they made that rule change, never liked it.

Cant pin the loss to the O. Streveler perform above expectation for a rookie QB. 

D is solid. Toss to Walker and Williams are well covered (imo) the receivers just making big plays.

I pin the loss to :

1) Ross on the failed FG. That was a clean snap from the LS, Ross failed to put it on tee on time. If they made the field goal it should have 11 point lead.

2) Gaitor on the PI call. It is a legit PI call since he push the receiver.

13 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

9 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Really?  How the heck did I miss that?  Thanks.  I'm actually glad they made that rule change, never liked it.

You can still challenge PI, but you cannot challenge Illegal Contact.

22 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

There was a bit of a shove by the Bomber player (can't remember who it was.  As much as I didn't like it, it was the right call.

8 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That offensive performance was not very good.

D didn’t make a play for a very long stretch, but on the whole did a good job getting off the field when the offense was inconsistent as we knew it would be given the QB situation.

Blitzing Bighill and Loffler/JSK on almost every 2nd and medium/long was way too obvious, especially when they line up on the line most of the time too.  Leave way too much of the middle open for Reilly.

Pass rush was good in general, lots of holds, run game a non factor.

Streveler was alright but they need to get a little more creative and make the run more of a factor.  Teams are going to be scheming against what they saw.  Some good misdirection tonight but lacking that consistent run game.

Hated the play calling on the last drive, over a minute, just need a FG attempt, no need to rest the game on Streveler’s arm and reads.  Plenty of time under 3 to run and gain first downs, set up that kick or at least bleed the clock.

Yup. You've got a straight out of college rookie QB with the ball in his hands in a tie game against the best QB in the league with under 2 minutes left and you don't run the f****** ball once?!?!? Another reason why Lapo will never be an elite OC, just too many dumb play calls year after year when the game is on the line. Drives me nuts. So f****** frustrating.

11 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Cant pin the loss to the O. Streveler perform above expectation for a rookie QB. 

D is solid. Toss to Walker and Williams are well covered (imo) the receivers just making big plays.

I pin the loss to :

1) Ross on the failed FG. That was a clean snap from the LS, Ross failed to put it on tee on time. If they made the field goal it should have 11 point lead.

2) Gaitor on the PI call. It is a legit PI call since he push the receiver.

If Esks make their field goal, there's no Fogg return for TD...  9 point swing there...

We had the ball with one minute left - tie game...  bad playcalling by Lapo - get Harris the ball at least and let the clock run... and then bad playcalling by Hall in that last series - playing his DBs way too far back again.

Bit of the same coaching problems - most of the game was called pretty well except for the last few minutes...

Have to agree on those last two pass attempts.....we should have run the ball and to the sidelines to stop the clock....IF you're going to throw have plays in place where it goes to the sidelines to stop the clock...That was poor play calling on Lapo's part and if we had at least advanced the ball for a couple of first downs, Edm. doesn't get to kick that game winner...Lot's of shoring up to do before we can get to the CUP game....Get on it O'Shea.

Hall definitely did not adjust his playcalling for Bighill v. Hurl...  using his MLB very much the same except Bighill has better game sense...  

Still the same flaws in Hall's D though - I think the only thing that can fix this is Leggett at Safety...  

Maybe rotate Corney/Thomas on DL and Loffler in at WIL sometimes...?