Game Day Thread - League Opener: Eskies

BigBlue

Just now, bustamente said:

We almost won a game that nobody really gave us a chance to be in let alone win.

The thing is we’ve seen this 1000 times before, that offensive performance should be enough to win. I get it the other team gets paid too but that 4th quarter was a joke and they should be embarrassed.

4 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

The thing is we’ve seen this 1000 times before, that offensive performance should be enough to win. I get it the other team gets paid too but that 4th quarter was a joke and they should be embarrassed.

That offensive performance was not very good.

D didn’t make a play for a very long stretch, but on the whole did a good job getting off the field when the offense was inconsistent as we knew it would be given the QB situation.

Blitzing Bighill and Loffler/JSK on almost every 2nd and medium/long was way too obvious, especially when they line up on the line most of the time too.  Leave way too much of the middle open for Reilly.

Pass rush was good in general, lots of holds, run game a non factor.

Streveler was alright but they need to get a little more creative and make the run more of a factor.  Teams are going to be scheming against what they saw.  Some good misdirection tonight but lacking that consistent run game.

Hated the play calling on the last drive, over a minute, just need a FG attempt, no need to rest the game on Streveler’s arm and reads.  Plenty of time under 3 to run and gain first downs, set up that kick or at least bleed the clock.

Lapo runs too much empty backfield with any QB, but it’s worse with a rookie.  Why show yourself to be one dimensional?  So much easier to defend.

Some of his play designs incorporate amazing misdirection that opens up big plays, think the one up the seam to Dressler, but then we can go a whole quarter without seeing any of that and watching our offense go 2 and out repeatedly.

Hmm. 

Thought Streveler was good enough. Looks like theres some potential there. I didnt like the play calling for most the game... What worked was Harris Streveler Dressler running to open up the passing. Bombers were at their best on O when Lapo used Strevelers feet.. When he let him throw 2 times, we struggled.. Thought we should have ran more on O. Come out doing it.. Run it. Option style O. They looked good when they went that route. 

But.. The D were not good.. And when Reilly marches at WILL the entire first Q and puts up 17 points or so after 1, you are playing from a hole to start. 

Our O looked good coming back to take the lead but Lapo went conservative instead of going for the kill, that botched FG sure sucks tho... But... When we took the lead, our O went blah.. Playcalls were dumb, the D went back to 1st quarter form . We lost. 

24 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The good news is Hall is one game closer to being fired. 

Considering O'Shea said on OB after the game he thought the defence played well, I'm not so sure. Frankly he lost me with that comment. It's bad enough Hall was retained once again, but to say the defence played well?! Wow. I'm glad I got in for free.

30 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That offensive performance was not very good.

D didn’t make a play for a very long stretch, but on the whole did a good job getting off the field when the offense was inconsistent as we knew it would be given the QB situation.

Blitzing Bighill and Loffler/JSK on almost every 2nd and medium/long was way too obvious, especially when they line up on the line most of the time too.  Leave way too much of the middle open for Reilly.

Pass rush was good in general, lots of holds, run game a non factor.

Streveler was alright but they need to get a little more creative and make the run more of a factor.  Teams are going to be scheming against what they saw.  Some good misdirection tonight but lacking that consistent run game.

Hated the play calling on the last drive, over a minute, just need a FG attempt, no need to rest the game on Streveler’s arm and reads.  Plenty of time under 3 to run and gain first downs, set up that kick or at least bleed the clock.

Huh? Our offence was better than theirs for large portions of that game. Streveler threw 3 touchdowns and once again we had more than 30 points. Maybe Bighill can double as D coordinator.

2 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Huh? Our offence was better than theirs for large portions of that game. Streveler threw 3 touchdowns and once again we had more than 30 points. Maybe Bighill can double as D coordinator.

500 yards of offense to 300.  We dominated field position for long stretch in first half and struggled to get first downs.  Came out of that rut and then couldn’t get more than a first down in the 4th quarter to close.

You can’t sit on a lead against a dynamic offense like Edmonton.  Maybe against Montreal or BC.