Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So the Riders are going 2 OL, RB, WR, LB, DL, S for the 7 NIs? Yikes given that Hurl can't play OLB, it would be Judge or Francis? Edem or MOB at S. Clark on the OL. An aging and declining Rob Bagg.

Brouilette and Edem are finished...  both those guys should probably be retired

I was laughing about Hurl - but its must be Francis/Bartlett planned at OLB...?

Zver must be feeling like an idiot for jumping ship from the Lions...

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Manziel is now even more likely to sign in the cfl which might shake a qb lose from Hamilton.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/report-new-england-patriots-no-longer-considering-signing-johnny-manziel/

If they sign manziel I think theyd keep vernon adams masoli and manziel for a bit. Eventually I think he would supplant vernon adams. Who would be a solid vet back up for most any team. 

59 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If they sign manziel I think theyd keep vernon adams masoli and manziel for a bit. Eventually I think he would supplant vernon adams. Who would be a solid vet back up for most any team. 

I think they would want to. Not sure how they could manage that salary cap wise.  But I guess for a few weeks they could pull it off.  Unless somebody like that gets cut I see us sticking with what we have untill such a point as Nichols gets a serious injury. At that point it’s worth giving up a draft pick for somebody. 

15 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

It will be interesting to see what Johnny Football brings to the CFL table. 

All this talk about him wanting a one-year contract so he can make a quick splash and bounce back to the NFL unencumbered doesn't show a lot of respect for the league, so he'll be easy to root against.

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

All this talk about him wanting a one-year contract so he can make a quick splash and bounce back to the NFL unencumbered doesn't show a lot of respect for the league, so he'll be easy to root against.

The funny thing is that he wouldn't even have to make a splash.  If he were to come into the league on a two-year-deal and just stay out of trouble for the length of the deal, he would be only 27 years old and could easily get some NFL interest.  He wouldn't even have to play.  Just show that he can be part of a team and not cause trouble and controversy.  But he'll never understand that.

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

Frankly both Manziel and the kneeling Qb are just a circus show.... who gives a rats ass if they come up...meh.

Manziel and Kaerpernick are entirely different cats. Manziel has shown some very troubling personal conduct issues, whereas Kaepernick took a principled stand against systemic violence perpetrated against minorities that have been around even prior to the birth of America. Whether Kaerpernick wants to come to the CFL, or if he can adapt to the Canadian game are still to be determined. So far as I know, he has no desire to come to the CFL, but he was a damned good quarterback.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

That's why I can't see the Ti-Cats seriously investing in Manziel, why mess around with Masoli, he may not be the best but there's a good chance he'll still be their QB in 5 years time.  I still believe they intend to trade Manziel off to the Als at some point.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

The issue with Kapernick and the cfl is he made way too much money in the nfl to risk his body for 200k Canadian in the cfl.

Quite probably. However, he might start missing the game and/or get bored or decide to come here and light up the league to spark interest from a desperate NFL club. Apparently there are rumours that there is an agreement by the NFL owners to freeze him out to make a point so that the hired help doesn't get uppity.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That's why I can't see the Ti-Cats seriously investing in Manziel, why mess around with Masoli, he may not be the best but there's a good chance he'll still be their QB in 5 years time.  I still believe they intend to trade Manziel off to the Als at some point.

At this point Maziel almost makes the most sense in Winnipeg. I think he could quickly turn into a guy who can start games in this league and we need a backup qb right now who could win us games. We aren't so concerned if he bounces back to the NFL in 2 years.

I've got a question: of players who have gone to the NFL but are subsequently cut by that team, how many initially sign with a team other than their original CFL squad?  The only one that comes to mind right away is Henoc. I know it's anecdotal but it *feels* like the norm is for players to return to their CFL club.

1 minute ago, voodoochylde said:

I've got a question: of players who have gone to the NFL but are subsequently cut by that team, how many initially sign with a team other than their original CFL squad?  The only one that comes to mind right away is Henoc. I know it's anecdotal but it *feels* like the norm is for players to return to their CFL club.

I think it happens more often than that.  Right off the top of my head, Okpalaugo signed with the Bombers after his NFL stint. 

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

At this point Manziel almost makes the most sense in Winnipeg. I think he could quickly turn into a guy who can start games in this league and we need a backup qb right now who could win us games. We aren't so concerned if he bounces back to the NFL in 2 years.

Given the lifespan of quarterbacks, in two years, Nichols will be close to the end of his playing career, and losing two QBs at the same time would not be good. Bomber track record in finding starting QBs is not good.

10 minutes ago, tracker said:

Given the lifespan of quarterbacks, in two years, Nichols will be close to the end of his playing career, and losing two QBs at the same time would not be good. Bomber track record in finding starting QBs is not good.

I could see Nichols playing until he's 35.  Most proven vets in the CFL play a while.