When do we fire Richie Hall?

BigBlue

When do we show Hall the door?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When do we show Hall the door?

• Immediately and decisively; before Grey cup week
    • Immediately after the Grey cup; thoughtfully
    • Before Christmas - - let's not torture the man
    • In January before the free agent deadline in February; let's make sure we can find somebody better first
    • Later in the spring when we are sure we have found somebody who will accept the job
    • No, let's re up him to another 3 year contract with a big bonus
    • Other: no swearwords please

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You don't hold players accountable in the media, and if you think that's how it happens you are hilariously mistaken. All talking **** about guys in the media does is throw them on the bus. 

Nope, totally disagree. I didn't realize you had the coaching handbook on this.

There have been many successful coaches over time in all sports who have found that sweet spot of holding his player (s) accountable while still having their backs done through the media. 

The joker in this deck is that we do not know how the job descriptions are laid out- specifically if O'Shea makes the final decisions on who goes out onto the field or if that is left to Hall on the defensive side.  Knowing this would certainly help us figure out who to hang.

Might never know.

If they   bring in a new DC and keep Hurl at linebacker, and it works... or does not improve, then what?

and if they bring in a new guy and get a better linebacker and it works, or doesn't work....

• But If they  keep richie and bring in elimimian or some such guy, and it doesn't work,  then we'll know. :lol:

Edited by Mark F

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Anyone who thinks that holding your players publicly accountable is the right way to do it is wrong, period. Full stop. 

Based on what? Seriously it's not an all or none argument here.  Again, there are successful coaches that have held his team accountable in an intelligent coherent compassionate way.

And saying full stop at the end of your sentences doesn't act as gospel.

11 minutes ago, Tehedra said:

I completely agree with 17to85 and noeller, you don't get accountability by airing out your dirty laundry

I didn't say anything about airing dirty laundry in the media.

Airing dirty laundry is different than holding players accountable. There are certain things that don't leave the dressing room. 

There are however things that need to be done by the coach during times of adversity to challenge players to be better and sometimes using the media venue can work depending on the personalities of your players.

39 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Based on what? Seriously it's not an all or none argument here.  Again, there are successful coaches that have held his team accountable in an intelligent coherent compassionate way.

Damn well should..... Full stop. 

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I didn't say anything about airing dirty laundry in the media.

Airing dirty laundry is different than holding players accountable. There are certain things that don't leave the dressing room. 

There are however things that need to be done by the coach during times of adversity to challenge players to be better and sometimes using the media venue can work depending on the personalities of your players.

So are you implying then that O'Shea doesn't hold players accountable? Cause the original comments were in regards to what O'Shea was saying to the media. I can guarantee that there is accountability within the locker room, it goes completely against a guy like O'Sheas personality for players to not be accountable. That doesn't mean however that he's going to start doing what some fans want and using the media to hold them accountable. 

8 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Holding a team/players accountable, and doing it publicly is a huge huge difference. Where is the counter evidence?  Ritchie, the don, and buono are all their player type of guys. Each did things differently. In some cases to an extreme. Don mathews would go to the wall and beyond for his guys. And if they horribly let him down or crossed him he'd send em packing in a heart beat. Ritchie rode with his guys till the wheels fell off. Buono handled media prodding about his starting QB more times then can be counted. And all his stuff was behind closed doors. Between those three guys, in a full season of coaching, they missed the play offs what once? Id love to see an example of a great coach who publicly called out his own football players.

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Damn well should..... Full stop. 

It worked for vince coleman so idk. 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

So are you implying then that O'Shea doesn't hold players accountable? Cause the original comments were in regards to what O'Shea was saying to the media. I can guarantee that there is accountability within the locker room, it goes completely against a guy like O'Sheas personality for players to not be accountable. That doesn't mean however that he's going to start doing what some fans want and using the media to hold them accountable. 

Not many coaches use the media anymore to air dirty laundry. 

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

Anyone who thinks that holding your players publicly accountable is the right way to do it is wrong, period. Full stop. 

I don't necessarily agree with this... different coaches have different strategies... I think it is unwise to use the media to call out players, and clearly Mike O'Shea operates that way also... and I'm happy he's that way... but some players respond to public criticism and some coahces have successfully manipulated them this way... 

Something to consider (this is not directed at you)... Bill Belichick is (arguably) the best coach in pro football  history... how often does he publicly call out players?.... and for those wondering, he has, reportedly, ripped Brady on many occasions during team meetings and film sessions... he'll never go to the media and say Tom Brady fcked this up... but you can guarantee Tom will hear about it behind closed doors...

54 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes. There would be some obvious outs like if they quit to become a HC or do something illegal but they are not at all like player contracts.

I'm not positive if this exists on the CFL (I know it's a thing in the NFL)... but if a coordinator gets fired with a year left on his contract at, let's say, $100,000... the firing team is on the hook for that money... if he signs with a new team at the same salary then the firing team is off the hook... but if he signs for say $80,000, the original team would still owe him $20,000 of salary...

On 11/25/2017 at 9:00 AM, DR. CFL said:

Until you can win in the playoffs what difference does it make?

At the end of the day, football is an entertainment business.  Throughout the season, I was thoroughly entertained by the Bombers.  I think there were maybe 2 games this season where I felt that I didn't get my money's worth (and although they lost in the WSF, it was an entertaining game).  I want nothing more than to have the Bombers win a cup, but at the end of the day as a season ticket holder, I put more value on being entertained week in and week out rather than whether they have won a playoff game or not.

3 hours ago, Sard said:

At the end of the day, football is an entertainment business.  Throughout the season, I was thoroughly entertained by the Bombers.  I think there were maybe 2 games this season where I felt that I didn't get my money's worth (and although they lost in the WSF, it was an entertaining game).  I want nothing more than to have the Bombers win a cup, but at the end of the day as a season ticket holder, I put more value on being entertained week in and week out rather than whether they have won a playoff game or not.

Amen to this. I had more fun watching the Bombers, and their whole Fort Hew campaign, than I have in many many years...can't even remember. The legit love all the players have for one another and the coach is so cool to see, and when I see Wade Miller out shoveling snow off the seats before a playoff game, I know the team cares about their fans. This week I'm buying my plane ticket home for CFL Week in March, and I can't WAIT to get the 2018 season rolling...