When do we fire Richie Hall?

BigBlue

When do we show Hall the door?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When do we show Hall the door?

• Immediately and decisively; before Grey cup week
    • Immediately after the Grey cup; thoughtfully
    • Before Christmas - - let's not torture the man
    • In January before the free agent deadline in February; let's make sure we can find somebody better first
    • Later in the spring when we are sure we have found somebody who will accept the job
    • No, let's re up him to another 3 year contract with a big bonus
    • Other: no swearwords please

On 2017-11-16 at 3:47 PM, pigseye said:

Spinning what? MOS was a game or two away of being given an apple and a road map. Nichols basically saved his and everybody else's job. The only reason for the recent success is Nichols at qb. The rest of the team is no better than when he took over 4 years ago and I'm not counting Medlock because he costs us a DI and we shouldn't have to rely on 7 field goals a game to squeak out wins.

If Nichols could finish drives, we wouldn't have to kick 7 field goals a game..... the last 2 months of the season, most of his TDs were in garbage time.   I like the guy, but he's still gotta take another big step next season to get into the Elite category, regardless of his 2nd overall ranking this season.

9 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

If Nichols could finish drives, we wouldn't have to kick 7 field goals a game..... the last 2 months of the season, most of his TDs were in garbage time.   I like the guy, but he's still gotta take another big step next season to get into the Elite category, regardless of his 2nd overall ranking this season.

Wow, are we going through this "He's not elite" **** again??? We'd be nowhere without Nichols. Unbelievable. Some fans are just never satisfied. Sad. QB is NOT one of our problems. Get a grip. 

10 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Regardless of the facts, you've decided you will never like him.

54 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Playing with a broken finger and losing his top weapon surely had no effect on Nichols' production in the final few regular season games or anything.

At least inside the 20s.

I agree with the poster who said we need to finish more drives.  This has been a problem with our offense going on two seasons now (and is in part why Medlock had such a tremendous season last year. He had a glut of opportunity).  That's not to say Nichols isn't a solid quarterback and I am *not* heaping blame solely on his shoulders but we settle for 3s far more often than we should.  That's a problem.

1 minute ago, voodoochylde said:

At least inside the 20s.

I agree with the poster who said we need to finish more drives.  This has been a problem with our offense going on two seasons now (and is in part why Medlock had such a tremendous season last year. He had a glut of opportunity).  That's not to say Nichols isn't a solid quarterback and I am *not* heaping blame solely on his shoulders but we settle for 3s far more often than we should.  That's a problem.

One issue with this offense is that it in the red zone, it seems to shy away from what works outside of the red zone. LaPolice seems to go for the kill shot rather than take advantage of the tailbacks and use both downs effectively.

Not sure how much blame, if any, falls at Nichols' feet for that, but maybe calling an audible is something he can  consider going forward...?

Can't resist, I have to weigh in on this Nichols and Walters/MOS thing.

Is there a giant memory wipe going on? Do people not remember the mood around the team last july before Nichols started? This team was in free fall. Maybe MOS isn't fired at 1-4, but, do people really think he survives a 4 or 5 win season? It's great that we're experiencing success but let's not pretend that Nichols didn't save MOS' job and perhaps Walters.  That is the revisionist history here. 

The Bombers were struggling before Nichols went down due to Hall's defence and/or the quality of the players he had to work with.  Nichols and the offence had to score a ton of points to keep ahead of the flaccid defence, and if the defence was even average, Nichols would have run away with MOP honours.

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

At least inside the 20s.

Lapo problems. Stops doing what works when he gets into the redzone and goes from a short passing and running attack and tries to throw it to the back of the endzone. It bottles the mind why he keeps trying to do that. 

2 hours ago, do or die said:

As, well.....A wideout  who could actually scare people opposite Adams......would really, really open up some room, for other things.................

No kidding. Why did we use our token Canadian receiver as a deep threat as often as we did? That's not playing to guys strengths at all....

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No kidding. Why did we use our token Canadian receiver as a deep threat as often as we did? That's not playing to guys strengths at all....

is Coates fast?  He did seem to leave his DB behind the few times they sent him out on a fly route.

52 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Assuming that replacing  Hall is the sole solution to the success of this team is perhaps a little naive .

I do not think just replacing Hall is the sole solution - however I believe it is the first step in the right direction. Finding a suitable replacement would be the next step - Replacing Hurl at MLB with a real MLB would be next followed by a significant upgrade in our receiving corps.

But first things first - Hall needs to be replaced immediately after Grey Cup at least IMHO.

4 minutes ago, BBRT said:

I do not think just replacing Hall is the sole solution - however I believe it is the first step in the right direction. Finding a suitable replacement would be the next step - Replacing Hurl at MLB with a real MLB would be next followed by a significant upgrade in our receiving corps.

But first things first - Hall needs to be replaced immediately after Grey Cup at least IMHO.

Its frustrating because this defense does do some very good things.   They are just overshadowed (rightly so) by the negatives.   I think that boils down to Hall.  I think the talent is there on the field, its just using it to its best potential..

You have to start with the common denominators:

1.  Defensive collapses - assignment breakdowns, soft zone D, etc.....
2.  Subpar linebacking play (Hurl, K. Knox)
3.  Lack of 50/50 ball, D stretcher (opposite Adams)
4.  Backup QB who can do a job

The Hall situation is just the first - the rest is on Walters and the scouting....

Just now, do or die said:

The Hall situation is just the first - the rest is on Walters and the scouting....

And, fix that without letting everything else fall apart, like the O-Line.

17 minutes ago, do or die said:

Got to throw O'Shea in there too.  He's the one who decided those players should start.

8 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Got to throw O'Shea in there too.  He's the one who decided those players should start.

Was there a better option on the roster? Temple, Knox, Santos-Knox, Hurl, and Miles... Not a MLB group that strikes fear by any means. That's on management, who did a lousy job scouting that key position. That was only exacerbated during the season by standing pat, which I'd argue is on the coaches and on management alike.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Was there a better option on the roster? Temple, Knox, Santos-Knox, Hurl, and Miles... Not a MLB group that strikes fear by any means. That's on management, who did a lousy job scouting that key position. That was only exacerbated during the season by standing pat, which I'd argue is on the coaches and on management alike.

That's gotta be on Walters to be honest. We have seen this team make changes to the roster so if they had a guy in the middle who was that much better I have no doubt that he'd be in there. Our scouting has been an issue for a while, this year was the first year they brought in some DL worth a damn, we've had a hell of a time bringing in receivers where every other team seems to find more than enough. 

Walters needs to be better at getting guys up here who can step in and contribute.  They do it for defensive back, how about the rest of the roster?

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

We definitely needed a better option in the middle, no doubt, but O’Shea started Knox over Santos-Knox and we know how that went.

Who knows, maybe O’Shea insisted that Hurl was his guy at MLB?  I doubt it, but we have no idea.

All I was saying is that O’Shea is part of the whole process.