When do we fire Richie Hall?

BigBlue

When do we show Hall the door?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When do we show Hall the door?

• Immediately and decisively; before Grey cup week
    • Immediately after the Grey cup; thoughtfully
    • Before Christmas - - let's not torture the man
    • In January before the free agent deadline in February; let's make sure we can find somebody better first
    • Later in the spring when we are sure we have found somebody who will accept the job
    • No, let's re up him to another 3 year contract with a big bonus
    • Other: no swearwords please

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Amen to this. I had more fun watching the Bombers, and their whole Fort Hew campaign, than I have in many many years...can't even remember. The legit love all the players have for one another and the coach is so cool to see, and when I see Wade Miller out shoveling snow off the seats before a playoff game, I know the team cares about their fans. This week I'm buying my plane ticket home for CFL Week in March, and I can't WAIT to get the 2018 season rolling...

Giving up 500 yards a game is entertaining. It won't win a Grey Cup championship but you'll be on the edge of your seat unless the offense can't move the ball & score. 

Entertainment is all well and good, but at some point you need to have a happy ending. Bomber fans have been patient long enough and witnessed enough mistakes and shortcomings over the past four years of this regime that 2018 has to be the "or else" season. 

Edited by tracker

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Giving up 500 yards a game is entertaining. It won't win a Grey Cup championship but you'll be on the edge of your seat unless the offense can't move the ball & score. 

there's far more to it than that....you're always so focused on the negative. 

Yes, I think Bomber fans deserve a Grey Cup and I think it's quite incredible that we haven't had one since 1990.

But games happen at the micro-level. We've been to the GC and we've been with the best team and it has not worked out. Glenn's arm, Westwood's foot... whatever.

Build a good team, attract good coaches and players and we'll get another chance to hoist the GC. Do that on the macro-level and I'll be happy. We'll get ours.

My point is, just because we aren't winning the cup, if the product on the field is entertaining, and we are winning more than we are losing, there's no reason to blow it up.  Consistency is key, and constantly changing up the management and coaching staff has proven to provide more losing records than winning ones.  The current regime may be taking longer to get things rolling at the playoff level than Toronto did, but I honestly feel that we are built for a long term run of winning seasons and consistent playoff appearances which will eventually pay off.

Everybody, including an expansion team, has won the GC since we last did. That should be incentive enough for any organization with a shred of pride to do anything and everything to win now, not just put an entertaining product on the field. If that isn't a priority for the current football operations regime, then we have the wrong people in charge.

15 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Everybody, including an expansion team, has won the GC since we last did. That should be incentive enough for any organization with a shred of pride to do anything and everything to win now, not just put an entertaining product on the field. If that isn't a priority for the current football operations regime, then we have the wrong people in charge.

Firstly, I think they've made it very clear, on many occasions, that the goal is a Cup.  Unfortunately, they can't just wave a magic wand and make it happen.  Also, although saying this won't stop anyone from yet again bemoaning "the streak", you cannot blame the current regime for the fact that we haven't won the Cup since 1990.   The past four years, and only those years are in their control.  But please, don't let logic get in the way of a good rant. 

51 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Firstly, I think they've made it very clear, on many occasions, that the goal is a Cup.  Unfortunately, they can't just wave a magic wand and make it happen.  Also, although saying this won't stop anyone from yet again bemoaning "the streak", you cannot blame the current regime for the fact that we haven't won the Cup since 1990.   The past four years, and only those years are in their control.  But please, don't let logic get in the way of a good rant. 

/thread.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

They fired Dave Ritchie cause they were impatient for a cup, made the team worse and set it back years. They fired Doug Berry for the same reasons, made the team worse put it into a huge hole. 

I'd rather let this regime keep on putting up winning seasons rather than canning them thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. If they start missing the playoffs then we will talk, but until then forget about the streak. It matters not. 

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They fired Dave Ritchie cause they were impatient for a cup, made the team worse and set it back years. They fired Doug Berry for the same reasons, made the team worse put it into a huge hole. 

I'd rather let this regime keep on putting up winning seasons rather than canning them thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. If they start missing the playoffs then we will talk, but until then forget about the streak. It matters not. 

At some point championships have to matter more than just being entertaining. People will stop caring. If we keep winning regular season games but lose in the playoffs, then changes will be made. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Disagree. Dave Ritchie got fired because he lost his ability to assess when a veteran needed to be moved.  Doug Berry got fired for his public feud with a certain kicker and his prickliness with the public and media, and besides, Bauer wanted his man in place. Making the playoff is not enough any more. 

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

Disagree. Dave Ritchie got fired because he lost his ability to assess when a veteran needed to be moved.  Doug Berry got fired for his public feud with a certain kicker and his prickliness with the public and media, and besides, Bauer wanted his man in place. Making the playoff is not enough any more. 

Teams play to win championships. They don't just play. Give me a boring defensive team that wins championships over an entertaining one that doesn't anytime. 

Dave Ritchie was relieved because he had a heart condition.....his health was in jeopardy and he wouldn't step down for his own good.  Doug Berry may have been a good assistance coach but as a Head Coach he had challenges relating to both his staff and the players, the team was dysfunctional under his direction. 

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Dave Ritchie was relieved because he had a heart condition.....his health was in jeopardy and he wouldn't step down for his own good.  Doug Berry may have been a good assistance coach but as a Head Coach he had challenges relating to both his staff and the players, the team was dysfunctional under his direction. 

But they won in spite of some really bad quarterbacks. I still hold to my opinion about Ritchie,

8 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Penton article from the Sun back in the day:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers management faced its public yesterday to officially announce -- and defend -- the firing of head coach Dave Ritchie.

Bombers president and CEO Lyle Bauer said the team has been under-achieving for almost a year, and that the organization couldn't afford to give Ritchie anymore time to turn it around.

The 65-year-old's last chance came Saturday night, when the Calgary Stampeders hammered the visiting Bombers 49-27.

"If you listened to coach Ritchie after the Calgary game, he did state that he had no answers," Bauer said. "And when you have no answers in that position, it is very, very difficult to move forward and continue because we do have to have answers out of the person who leads our football team.

Edited by Jacquie

11 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

In 2013, we'd have taken his kind of dysfunctional. 

Ritchie was in decline.

2011 cup appearance

2012 WF loss

2013 WSF loss to riders. 

Berry - made progress.

2006 - 9-9 and ESF appearance

2007 - grey cup appearance

2008 - 8 and 10. fired. 

Oshea is on the right track with 80 percent of the players. Keep the core, supplement the defence and get rid of Hall and we have  a winner.

CFL coaching record[edit]
Team    Year    Regular season    Postseason
Won    Lost    Ties    Win %    Finish    Won    Lost    Result
WPG    2014    7    11    0    .389    5th in West Division    -    -    Missed playoffs
WPG    2015    5    13    0    .278    4th in West Division    -    -    Missed playoffs
WPG    2016    11    7    0    .611    3rd in West Division    0    1    Lost in Division Semi-Finals
WPG    2017    12    6    0    .667    2nd in West Division    0    1    Lost in Division Semi-Finals
Total    35    37    0    .486    0 Division
Championships    0    2    0 Grey Cups

His first two years sucked, but we can argue he didn't have solid players to work with and was green.  

23 and 13 last two years is pretty solid. I will take that in a heartbeat. We were 3 close games away from hosting the west final. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

15 hours ago, tracker said:

They both got fired cause Lyle Bauer wanted to replace them because he was desperate to be the man who brought a cup to Winnipeg. See how it works? You think there's something better out there and you make these rash moves and it winds up setting you back. 

There was talk that Bauer wanted to replace Ritchie way back in 2001, but they won enough games that year that an extension automatically kicked in and how can you move on when that season just happens? So Ritchie held tight to his veterans as the years moved on cause those were the guys he trusted when he knew Bauer was just waiting for any excuse to can him. 

Berry was a casualty of Bauer wanting to bring in Mike Kelly for sure, but it was the step back after making the Grey Cup in 07 that made it possible. Again, thinking the grass was greener on the other side. Look how long it took for the team to get back on stable footing after that disaster. 

Why are we in such a rush to fire people when they are winning more than they are losing currently and we are finally starting to rebuild some NI depth for the first time in god knows how long? 

Wins and loses are certainly a significant factor in coaches getting fired but other factors also enter into play.  Philosophical differences, people's ability to fit into the overall dynamics of an organization.  Some of the same internal mechanics of a successful business structure certainly apply in a successful professional sports franchise.

21 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

And how has that strategy worked out? It's not about how long you stick with somebody, it's about hiring the right people to begin with, which is where our problems have been.