I like Matt Nichols

On 7/2/2017 at 11:48 AM, TBURGESS said:

Nichols should have tossed 6 TD's last night. He missed 2 wide open receivers who were behind the defense.

In his first start of the season... You're complaining about two missed opportunities. He still threw 4 (career high, BTW).

Never satisfied with anything, eh? The life of TBURGESS. You were probably upset back in '90 when the Bombers only won by 39 points. "Should've been 40!"

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

In his first start of the season... You're complaining about two missed opportunities. He still threw 4 (career high, BTW).

Never satisfied with anything, eh? The life of TBURGESS. You were probably upset back in '90 when the Bombers only won by 39 points. "Should've been 40!"

he failed to mention the two times he hit wide open receivers for TDs...but why focus on the positive when there's so much to ***** about.

25 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Never satisfied with anything? An example of making stuff up that I didn't say just to complain about it.  Probably upset back in the 90's? A second thing you made up just to complain about. 

FTR: I wasn't satisfied with going 17 minutes into the game without a single first down. I wasn't satisfied with the defense giving up 14 and the offense not scoring any points in the last 12 minutes of the 4th quarter.  Anyone who was satisfied with those things must have an IV for their blue kool aid. 

25 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Never satisfied with anything? An example of making stuff up that I didn't say just to complain about it.  Probably upset back in the 90's? A second thing you made up just to complain about. 

FTR: I wasn't satisfied with going 17 minutes into the game without a single first down. I wasn't satisfied with the defense giving up 14 and the offense not scoring any points in the last 12 minutes of the 4th quarter.  Anyone who was satisfied with those things must have an IV for their blue kool aid. 

36 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

he failed to mention the two times he hit wide open receivers for TDs...but why focus on the positive when there's so much to ***** about.

That's because I expect starting CFL QB's to complete passes to wide open receivers. 

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

So, you've never seen Medlock ever miss a field goal?  And you know what, if they had simply set up for a field goal without trying to move the ball forward at all, and then he had missed, what do you think people would have said?  It's easy to sit at your keyboard and draw up these scenarios.  It's  a little different when you actually have to do it for a paycheque.  

I'd suggest that there isn't a coach in the CFL who would have done things any differently that O'Shea did because there is a difference between kicking a 32 yard FG and a 42 yard FG, even for someone like Medlock, who's attempted 281 FG's in that CFL and missed 34 of them.  That's 87.9%.  Harris has 1033 rushing attempts.  For him to fumble at the same rate that Medlock misses (87.9) he would have had to fumble about 125 times.  I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that statistically, it is more likely that Medlock misses a 42 yard FG than Harris fumbles.  So if that's the case, O'Shea is playing the percentages, moving the ball forward until the risk/reward favours the FG.  

In my opinion, O'Shea played this one just about as well as one could.

This is the same coach who sent Medlock out for a 57 yard field goal instead of going for it on 3rd and 5. In my opinion, he was compensating for one bad decision by making another (not nearly) as bad decision. Just for the record, through the first half of last year, Justin Medlock was 17/17 from 0-39 yards last season and a perfect 18/18 on converts. Even if you add in the 40-49 range, he was 9-11. That's clutch. 

I'll maintain the position that's more likely that Harris fumbles(or there's just a bad snap or a holding penalty or something) OR Medlock misses from 32 yards out than Medlock straight missing from 42.

Edited by Blueandgold

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

This is the same coach who sent Medlock out for a 57 yard field goal instead of going for it on 3rd and 5. In my opinion, he was compensating for one bad decision by making another (not nearly) as bad decision. Just for the record, through the first half of last year, Justin Medlock was 17/17 from 0-39 yards last season and a perfect 18/18 on converts. Even if you add in the 40-49 range, he was 9-11. That's clutch. 

I'll maintain the position that's more likely that Harris fumbles(or there's just a bad snap or a holding penalty or something) OR Medlock misses from 32 yards out than Medlock straight missing from 42.

Yes, Medlock was perfect in converts last year.  Remind me again what the distance of a convert is?

5 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I took it as Glenn as a Bomber.

That should be the proper way to view it.  No one is talking about Khari's time as a backup in BC or Nichols few starts in Edmonton.

Nichols has a ways to go to surpass Glenn simply because he hasn't been here long enough.  Glenn's 2007 season was the best of his career, and as much as people here don't like to give him credit for anything, he had a fantastic season for us.  Nichols has yet to have a season for us.  Seems pretty simple.

Nichols is playing great, but there's no reason to start comparing him to the greats yet.

10 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'd say the chances of Harris fumbling at that point was about the same as Medlock missing a 42 yarder, that is to say, very low.

There's fumbling, there's a bad snap, there's penalties that could take you back.  Middle of the field 42 yards is like 95% chance to win with Medlock, and even if there's a screwup on the snap or hold you still have a shot to keep possession.

22 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The difference is almost everyone here can see the big picture, there was bad, there was good, but we got 2 points. We will have to play a lot better next week.

WE GET IT.

What you fail to mention is any positives what-so-ever, if you go back and read your posts you would think we lost the game by a couple scores.

Blue kool-aid drinkers? I have hopes based on reality, I also have my doubts but so far the only thing that matters is the 2 points. On paper our roster looks solid and it passed the eye test for 2 quarters and a bit.

If you want to ***** that's fine but your narrative is getting old.

Edited by Gotmilt

18 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

The difference is almost everyone here can see the big picture, there was bad, there was good, but we got 2 points. We will have to play a lot better next week.

WE GET IT.

What you fail to mention is any positives what-so-ever, if you go back and read your posts you would think we lost the game by a couple scores.

Blue kool-aid drinkers? I have hopes based on reality, I also have my doubts but so far the only thing that matters is the 2 points. On paper our roster looks solid and it passed the eye test for 2 quarters and a bit.

If you want to ***** that's fine but your narrative is getting old.

This thread started when folks said how great Nichols played. If you read those posts, you'd think that we'd just routed the Riders or even a good team like the Stamps. None of the negatives were mentioned and folks got upset that I dared to even mention the other side of the story. It quickly went from complaining about things I didn't say to simply complaining about me in general. I let it go until BlueAndGold84 & BigBlue204 started it back up by quoting a day old post. Hint: Just let it go and don't bring me back in if you don't want to read what I have to say.

I get it. You want to make stuff up I didn't say, complain about it and start this all over again. If you read my very first post in this thread you'll see I started with "Nichols had a great 20 minutes last night". I'd call that positive. You'd think we lost by a couple of scores? Really? That's not even possible in OT.

If you want to complain about something? How about complaining about how we often start slow or let other teams back into games we should win going away?

23 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

That's because I expect starting CFL QB's to complete passes to wide open receivers. 

Given there are starting NFL quarterbacks who miss wide open receivers (It's sports. Mistakes happen shockingly enough), it just goes to show how absolutely clueless this comment is.

Players in the CFL are here for a reason. That's not a shot against the league or players, but it's just a fact. You're going to see a lot of mistakes not just by quarterbacks, but at other positions as well because of the quality of players.

Idiocy. 

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

This thread started when folks said how great Nichols played. If you read those posts, you'd think that we'd just routed the Riders or even a good team like the Stamps. None of the negatives were mentioned and folks got upset that I dared to even mention the other side of the story. It quickly went from complaining about things I didn't say to simply complaining about me in general. I let it go until BlueAndGold84 & BigBlue204 started it back up by quoting a day old post. Hint: Just let it go and don't bring me back in if you don't want to read what I have to say.

I get it. You want to make stuff up I didn't say, complain about it and start this all over again. If you read my very first post in this thread you'll see I started with "Nichols had a great 20 minutes last night". I'd call that positive. You'd think we lost by a couple of scores? Really? That's not even possible in OT.

If you want to complain about something? How about complaining about how we often start slow or let other teams back into games we should win going away?

I think you missed the point of my post, you like to direct a narrative, try to bring people down with you. If I didn't watch the game and came here reading your posts would lead me to believe Nichols is the second coming of Drew Willy.

You say you gave him all this praise for 20 minutes of good play then you're very quick to criticize everything he does.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Given there are starting NFL quarterbacks who miss wide open receivers (It's sports. Mistakes happen shockingly enough), it just goes to show how absolutely clueless this comment is.

Players in the CFL are here for a reason. That's not a shot against the league or players, but it's just a fact. You're going to see a lot of mistakes not just by quarterbacks, but at other positions as well because of the quality of players.

Idiocy. 

Twice in one game? Nope, that's not the sign of a good QB having a great game.

I'll never cease to be amazed at someone's willingness to continually be the bearer of bad news that everyone cringes to hear from.

We get it. There are negatives to go with the positives. Congratulations for being the hero nobody wants for bringing them all to light for those of us who are too blind (see: uninterested) to constantly dwell on the bad things.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'll never cease to be amazed at someone's willingness to continually be the bearer of bad news that everyone cringes to hear from.

We get it. There are negatives to go with the positives. Congratulations for being the hero nobody wants for bringing them all to light for those of us who are too blind (see: uninterested) to constantly dwell on the bad things.

The thing that really grinds my gears is when someone continually does this and then acts all surprised and hurt when they get the exact reaction that they are going for.

17 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The thing that really grinds my gears is when someone continually does this and then acts all surprised and hurt when they get the exact reaction that they are going for.

More stuff you make up just to complain about.

FTR: I never surprises or hurts me when folks make stuff up or complain about my posts. 

38 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

More stuff you make up just to complain about.

FTR: I never surprises or hurts me when folks make stuff up or complain about my posts. 

There it is!  In life consistency is important.  Here's the thing.  If a person in a community like this one develops a reputation, good or bad, it doesn't happen by accident.