I like Matt Nichols

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Why is there a Rider fan Hall Loyalist here attempting to sway favour for Hall? lol me thinks hes an agent provocateur and hoping to make sure Hall's here next season and beyond..

dirty pool old man.

He's probably "jealous" that we have Hurl too.

We're on to him.

1 hour ago, mfranc said:

Really?  O'Shea sets the roster.  If O'Shea says they need to start a NI at linebacker what choices are Hall left with?  

When Westerman was healthy, they had the ability to start 7 Nationals without  a  National at MLB - this was the case for most of the season.

Heck, they found ways to start 4 Americans on the DL in recent weeks.

40 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

When Westerman was healthy, they had the ability to start 7 Nationals without  a  National at MLB (1) - this was the case for most of the season.

Heck, they found ways to start 4 Americans on the DL in recent weeks.(2)

(1) Having an Imp MLB would require putting 2 Canadians on the D-line at all times... our D-line was clearly most dominant with Nevis and Poop playing together...

(2) They were able to start 4 Americans on the D-line b/c they were starting 5 Canadians on offense with Bond out (Neufeld, Goose, Chungh, Harris, Coates)...

I really think we can look at starting 5 Canadians on offense next year... if Bond leaves we can start Neufeld, Coture or Gray (fingers crosed) at LG... if Bond is still around, I think we can start Adams, Dressler, new impact wr (not really holding my breath), Coates and JFG/Wolitarsky...

29 minutes ago, pigseye said:

As mush as I detest agreeing with a rider fan, he is spot on here. Give Hall better players and things are different.

He isn't spot on all at all. Hall had a boatload of talent with which to work, some upgrades were made, and the results remained the same as the previous two seasons.

A DC who employed a risky system without making proper adjustments should receive ample blame for his errors.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He isn't spot on all at all. Hall had a boatload of talent with which to work, some upgrades were made, and the results remained the same as the previous two seasons.

A DC who employed a risky system without making proper adjustments should receive ample blame for his errors.

and I don't think O'shea is going to let him off the hook so easily.  I know he is fond of his defenses and rightfully so, the amount of takeaways it generates is next level type stuff.. BUT its the other nuances of the defense that he doesn't like and rightfully so. 

Can Hall be retained and re-vamp the defense to not give up the massive amounts of yardage?  I don't believe so.. it hasn't happened yet.  I'd like to move on to another DC.  IF we don't though, I hope that O'shea's stamp is on it next season because if he does retain him and we give up the same abysmal stats as we have been.... O'shea might be shown the door as well as Hall, which would be a shame imo.

I still dont think we retain Hall though. so many season's of so many yards, points, explosion plays, etc etc.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

As mush as I detest agreeing with a rider fan, he is spot on here. Give Hall better players and things are different.

What coach doesn't want this though? Of course they are always  looking/wanting to upgrade their existing talent base.  But this can't be the only reason  (and sometimes it's not even a viable reason)a coach justifies the limitations  of his area of responsibility.   It's a shared responsibility, players, coaches, management, scouts etc. 

I'm wondering what Richie Hall would say about this year, other than him needing  increased talent at key positions and key injuries hurting us on defense. What things could he have done better himself?  Nothing?

If I'm Micheal O'Shea, that's the question I'm asking my coordinators and myself.

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

(1) Having an Imp MLB would require putting 2 Canadians on the D-line at all times... our D-line was clearly most dominant with Nevis and Poop playing together...

(2) They were able to start 4 Americans on the D-line b/c they were starting 5 Canadians on offense with Bond out (Neufeld, Goose, Chungh, Harris, Coates)...

I really think we can look at starting 5 Canadians on offense next year... if Bond leaves we can start Neufeld, Coture or Gray (fingers crosed) at LG... if Bond is still around, I think we can start Adams, Dressler, new impact wr (not really holding my breath), Coates and JFG/Wolitarsky...

All and/or any of the above is what I was referring to.  Any of those scenarios have got to be better for the team than what we were seeing from the MLB position.

I really hope we have Bond back next year, but if not, two Canadian receivers is still better than what transpired this past season.  

I  also hope they're telling a guy like Trent Corney that a starting spot is available if he amps up his game.

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

A top notch DL, two DB's that for long stretches were hardly ever thrown at and an absolute stud at SAM. 

Exactly, the players are there. There could always be upgrades, but it's not like he was working with a 2015 Rider defence. He had an all star at almost every position (before injuries started). Corner, HB, DL, Safety and LB (though not MLB or WIL)

34 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Exactly, the players are there. There could always be upgrades, but it's not like he was working with a 2015 Rider defence. He had an all star at almost every position (before injuries started). Corner, HB, DL, Safety and LB (though not MLB or WIL)

Honourable mention to Santos - Knox at WIL. 

58 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Wondering if Trevor Harris will shake loose?  Nichols Harris 1a/1b would be great... worth the $$

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Collaros signs here?  He is a good QB who was in a tough spot under Austin.... I think they are going to run with Massoli given the late season success, and possibility of Manziel signing there.

2 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Collaros signs here?  He is a good QB who was in a tough spot under Austin.... I think they are going to run with Massoli given the late season success, and possibility of Manziel signing there.

Can't see him choosing WPG when MTL and even BC/SSK have dicey QB situations at best.

I think BC will stick with what they have and give Jennings another year... he's got talent, and I don't see them giving up in that project so soon.   I could see Montreal going after Franklin, if he hasn't already back door agreed with Jones to head to Regina.

Collaros needs a good situation without all the pressure on him to rebuild his confidence.

besides... the ALS have Drew Willy, and I think he's ready to finally break out!! Haha