I like Matt Nichols

11 minutes ago, tracker said:

As good as our defensive tackles have been this year, if Mulumba magically appears at training camp and is as good as hoped, this will solve a lot of our problems.

No, no it really will not. He is too big to play MLber in the cfl. Too raw to take a rush end spot and be an upgrade over westerman, jeffcoat, ogopogo or even corney. Mulumba is not henoc muamba. He is getting to the point hed be a huge DE, forget lber. 

Was the back half of the 4th quarter when the offense woke up "garbage" time?

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

No, no it really will not. He is too big to play MLber in the cfl. Too raw to take a rush end spot and be an upgrade over westerman, jeffcoat, ogopogo or even corney. Mulumba is not henoc muamba. He is getting to the point hed be a huge DE, forget lber. 

I was thinking of him as a tackle.

1 minute ago, tracker said:

I was thinking of him as a tackle.

lol. Well jake thomas is a good tackle. Nevis and poop are just better. Thomas is not nearly as effective as nevis playing on the nose, and idk if another dt in the league is as good as pass rushing as poop. We have no problems on the DL. If nevis is a FA (idr the details of his deal) and we lose him, thomas and ekakitie at one spot is solid. Course if corney comes in with more then 10 pounds of lean mass added again he will no doubt be a DT. Maybe as little 5 pounds even. 

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

lol. Well jake thomas is a good tackle. Nevis and poop are just better. Thomas is not nearly as effective as nevis playing on the nose, and idk if another dt in the league is as good as pass rushing as poop. We have no problems on the DL. If nevis is a FA (idr the details of his deal) and we lose him, thomas and ekakitie at one spot is solid. Course if corney comes in with more then 10 pounds of lean mass added again he will no doubt be a DT. Maybe as little 5 pounds even. 

Mulumba ought to be good enough that we would not lose too much in the middle, and I would be willing to give up that in exchange for a good import MLB. 

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

He'd be hardly too raw to be a rush end guy...thats nonesense.  He's maybe 260 now and that is hardly too big to be an end, as he is a  mid 4.7 forty guy.

Don't be fooled by posted weights and stats as most DE's here are ranging from 240 to 265 pounds...theres a few lighter guys but not that many...

Also if we are back with HALL and this apparent scheme Mulumba would be head and shoulders above what Hurl or anyone else gave us in that position.

He's bigger, yet faster, has better explosion, a better blitzer and can get off blocks to make a tackle...so him in the middle isn't such a longshot or bad idea...also...have you ever heard of a player dropping weight or adding weight to adapt to a position?..happens all the time and if he dropped weight,,,he becomes faster too and he already can run a 4.7 forty at that weight...which matches many a MLB speed in the CFL...Many of the big hitters are in the high 4.6 to high 4.7's..

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

He'd be hardly too raw to be a rush end guy...thats nonesense.  He's maybe 260 now and that is hardly too big to be an end, as he is a  mid 4.7 forty guy.

Don't be fooled by posted weights and stats as most DE's here are ranging from 240 to 265 pounds...theres a few lighter guys but not that many...

Also if we are back with HALL and this apparent scheme Mulumba would be head and shoulders above what Hurl or anyone else gave us in that position.

He's bigger, yet faster, has better explosion, a better blitzer and can get off blocks to make a tackle...so him in the middle isn't such a longshot or bad idea...also...have you ever heard of a player dropping weight or adding weight to adapt to a position?..happens all the time and if he dropped weight,,,he becomes faster too and he already can run a 4.7 forty at that weight...which matches many a MLB speed in the CFL...Many of the big hitters are in the high 4.6 to high 4.7's..

Can you be our next DC please?

Heard an interview (radio) with Walters before Calgary game I think.

My impression from the interview was  that  Mulumba doesn't have a lot of interest in coming to the CFL.

I think (could be remembering incorrectly here) Walters said that the Bombers made an offer to Mulumba through his agent, and did not hear back from them.

Maybe trueblue could correct me if I am wrong.

On 11/15/2017 at 9:18 AM, Booch said:

Trent corney played end in college, and with the bombers for 2 years and is a 4.6 guy at 260+. Hes STILL raw. Too raw to be a starter quality DE in this league. Mulumba wasnt a book end in college. Or in the nfl.

More are under 240 then over 260. By a good margin. 260+ lbs ends arent common in the cfl. 

Jake thomas might be an upgrade at MLBer from hurl. Corney, a particularly tough sack of potatoes would be an upgrade. 

You are basing explosion off a 40 number, not game play. 40 isnt a tool to judge a first step by, which is what counts. corney is much faster in the 40 then westerman, but westermans first step makes the rest of our ends look like OL running the 100 backwards. 

Re constituting your body can be done. After the first time though it is hard. Also the older you are the harder it is. Mulumba is 27 going on 28. The chances of him doing all that, and changing position for the cfl pay day after 4 years of taking a check down south doesnt make it some thing you bank on as a plug and play starter.  28, re constituted body, coming to the cfl game for the first time, playing a new role or position, = a hope. Not the savior. 

We dont need a hitter at mlber. Especially not if we run the same system. We need the opposite. A guy who will wrap and tackle, fill the gaps, can do some thing other then be a pan cake to an OL and get back a little. Most mlbers in the league are smaller and quicker then you think. 

On 11/15/2017 at 8:50 AM, tracker said:

Mulumba ought to be good enough that we would not lose too much in the middle, and I would be willing to give up that in exchange for a good import MLB. 

Weve brought in far more decorated americans to no avail. Especially front 7 guys.  If you want a plug and play replacement at MLBer, you look in the cfl FA pool. 

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Trent corney played end in college, and with the bombers for 2 years and is a 4.6 guy at 260+. Hes STILL raw. Too raw to be a starter quality DE in this league. Mulumba wasnt a book end in college. Or in the nfl.

More are under 240 then over 260. By a good margin. 260+ lbs ends arent common in the cfl. 

Jake thomas might be an upgrade at MLBer from hurl. Corney, a particularly tough sack of potatoes would be an upgrade. 

You are basing explosion off a 40 number, not game play. 40 isnt a tool to judge a first step by, which is what counts. corney is much faster in the 40 then westerman, but westermans first step makes the rest of our ends look like OL running the 100 backwards. 

Re constituting your body can be done. After the first time though it is hard. Also the older you are the harder it is. Mulumba is 27 going on 28. The chances of him doing all that, and changing position for the cfl pay day after 4 years of taking a check down south doesnt make it some thing you bank on as a plug and play starter.  28, re constituted body, coming to the cfl game for the first time, playing a new role or position, = a hope. Not the savior. 

We dont need a hitter at mlber. Especially not if we run the same system. We need the opposite. A guy who will wrap and tackle, fill the gaps, can do some thing other then be a pan cake to an OL and get back a little. Most mlbers in the league are smaller and quicker then you think. 

explosion is never a determination of 40 time at all..never said that. At combines we can judge and rank a players potential for explosion based on broad jump and vertical...never 40 time.

Also, we use a thing we refer to as 6 inch burst and look for that aspect of a players skill set...Mulumba has played a rush end and the defensive end in the 3-4 set soley his last 3 years down south and translate very well to a stand up end here...he basically played (minimally) and practices at the same thing Westerman did.

Jake Thomas would be a horrible linebacker 

Just now, Booch said:

explosion is never a determination of 40 time at all..never said that. At combines we can judge and rank a players potential for explosion based on broad jump and vertical...never 40 time.

Also, we use a thing we refer to as 6 inch burst and look for that aspect of a players skill set...Mulumba has played a rush end and the defensive end in the 3-4 set soley his last 3 years down south and translate very well to a stand up end here...he basically played (minimally) and practices at the same thing Westerman did.

Jake Thomas would be a horrible linebacker 

You are quantifying him as a 4.7 end and capable of this and that explosion, this and no further explanation does insinuate that. vert doesnt really give an idea of explosion by its stat.  2 step jumpers, 1 step, no step and slow risers  can all have the same vert and drastically different explosivity. 

He played the OLB in 3-4s and a very limited bit of end in 4-3 in college. In which he didnt pass rush or produce as such.  Hes been a Lber not an outter end or a 3-4 over end jack lber.  Playing the 3-4 end down south, or the jack does not translate well to playing mlber here. 

The difference is westerman was a thorough breed pass rusher. College, nfl, thats what he did. He came up here, and did it here too. 

Dont be pedantic. That was the point, because hurl is a horrible lber. :rolleyes:

On 11/15/2017 at 11:52 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I believe Hall had a big say in who played and who was let go, as all coordinators should.

Not only is he responsible for defensive schemes but he's responsible for player recruitment and retention.   No wonder poor Richie wilted under the pressure.

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Awwww - there, there

Richie Hall's defence was pretty solid in 2007 and 2013 when he had a middle linebacker that didn't suck.  A lot of posters here are taking the easy out and scapegoating a coordinator when the truth is Walters and O'Shea are as much or more to blame for the defence's shortcomings.

Avoiding the real issues will never solve anything so I hope the Bomber braintrust follows what most of you are proposing.

Unfortunately, as a Rider fan, I think they are smarter then that.

3 hours ago, mfranc said:

Richie Hall's defence was pretty solid in 2007 and 2013 when he had a middle linebacker that didn't suck.  A lot of posters here are taking the easy out and scapegoating a coordinator when the truth is Walters and O'Shea are as much or more to blame for the defence's shortcomings.

Avoiding the real issues will never solve anything so I hope the Bomber braintrust follows what most of you are proposing.

Unfortunately, as a Rider fan, I think they are smarter then that.

Here's the thing.  Hall used Hurl in Regina too, as I recall.  Then, once Hall escaped the pit, he managed to drag Hurl out of it as well.  Now, while helping anyone escape Saskatchewan is a good thing, Hall didn't have to also provide employment too but yet, here Hurl is.  If Hall really didn't want Hurl and truly believed that Hurl was hurting the defense, he sure has a funny way of showing that.  I find it difficult to believe that someone would put them self  in a position to fail on purpose.  

23 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Here's the thing.  Hall used Hurl in Regina too, as I recall.  Then, once Hall escaped the pit, he managed to drag Hurl out of it as well.  Now, while helping anyone escape Saskatchewan is a good thing, Hall didn't have to also provide employment too but yet, here Hurl is.  If Hall really didn't want Hurl and truly believed that Hurl was hurting the defense, he sure has a funny way of showing that.  I find it difficult to believe that someone would put them self  in a position to fail on purpose.  

Richie Hall had a combination of Rey Williams and Mike McColluough in 2013 with Diamond Ferri brought aboard for the playoffs.

Quite a far cry from Hurl (who's a decent back-up/teamer).

Hurl is a good depth guy for the Bombers and has his place but again depth problems at NI necessitated a weak starter in a key position.  No way that's on Hall.

Edited by mfranc

2 hours ago, mfranc said:

Richie Hall had a combination of Rey Williams and Mike McColluough in 2013 with Diamond Ferri brought aboard for the playoffs.

Quite a far cry from Hurl (who's a decent back-up/teamer).

Hurl is a good depth guy for the Bombers and has his place but again depth problems at NI necessitated a weak starter in a key position.  No way that's on Hall.

Playing Hurl as a starting MLB is.