Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

11 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

i could go either way on mega threads or individual threads, but I'm curious what makes 1 announcement more deserving than another for it's own thread?  Using the above 2 mentioned transactions, is it because Okpalaugo has previously played in the CFL vs Jackson who is a rookie? Or is it because Okpalaugo is likely to start where at best Jackson will be a back up to Hardrick?

Yes, you're pretty much correct. Okpalaugo has previous experience in the CFL and made a solid impact with the team he played for, seen as as very solid signing from the Blue. Where as Jackson hasn't done anything yet. So while it's likely a solid pick up he doesn't bring the CFL "cred" with him.

8 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Speaking of which, here's the logo of our WHL team:

Image result for kelowna rockets

That's Ogopogo.  Apparently.  Holding a hockey stick. What that has to do with "Rockets" I don't know.  

Image result for rocky the raccoon kelowna rockets

Our team mascot is Rockie the Racoon.   I assume his name is Rockie because of the Rockets.  Not sure why he's a racoon.

What any of this has to do with hockey is beyond me, other than the hockey stick Ogopogo is holding I guess.  And yes, they smoke a lot of weed here.

my first thought was rocket raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

my first thought was rocket raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy

yeah I guess but you would think Marvel would have a problem with that.  This mascot has been around a lot longer than the Movie, but yes I realize that there was a comic book before the movie.

On 5/10/2017 at 9:57 PM, mbrg said:

40 separate threads about signing some guy from from somewhere U before camp and 40 separate threads about some guy from somewhere U getting cut at the end of camp...I'm fine with the superthread.

If a player transaction is worthy of his own thread it's usually obvious.

All that said, it's definitely time we overthrow Mike.

I just thought it was interesting enough the Bombers signed the starting RT from the 2016 National Champions, that has to of some significance doesn't it?

Edited by Gotmilt

10 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

.Jeebus....google the Beatles White Album and look at the song titles and you will get your answer.

I'm familiar with the song doesn't change the fact first thing i thought of was the marvel character who's currently in a pretty big movie that just came out a week ago,  

tidbit tho the marvel character's name and attributes were actually homage to the song 

25 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

I just thought it was interesting enough the Bombers signed the starting RT from the 2016 National Champions, that has to of some significance isn't it?

It's a nice thing for his resume but when you look deeper, he only had one year a a starter with Alabama and was cut twice by NFL teams without even making it to training camp.  The Redskins cut him after mini-camp last year & Detroit did the same a few weeks later.

Adrian Hubbard won 2 national championships with Alabama and we saw how well he did up here.

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It's a nice thing for his resume but when you look deeper, he only had one year a a starter with Alabama and was cut twice by NFL teams without even making it to training camp.  The Redskins cut him after mini-camp last year & Detroit did the same a few weeks later.

Adrian Hubbard won 2 national championships with Alabama and we saw how well he did up here.

Fair enough, from the scouting reports I've read there definitely are a lot of knocks to his game. I'm assuming he's one of those "mean" guys that Walters and Oshea like.

18 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'm familiar with the song doesn't change the fact first thing i thought of was the marvel character who's currently in a pretty big movie that just came out a week ago,  

tidbit tho the marvel character's name and attributes were actually homage to the song 

75a1c6d1-1f71-447f-b11d-474af6addb12.gif

1 hour ago, Gotmilt said:

I just thought it was interesting enough the Bombers signed the starting RT from the 2016 National Champions, that has to of some significance doesn't it?

It's certainly an interesting tidbit.  Most of these guys have an interesting tidbit.  Just like whatshisface played for the Lions and idolizes Megatron and Megatron dated his sister and he does everything right like Megatron and...nevermind, we already cut him.

The thing about the CFL is pedigree counts for very little here.  Guys from Buttcrack U have just as much success here (and it feels like more) as the guys from BigName U.  The field size?  The waggle?  Playing a yard off the line?  Coming to Canada with too much ego?  Can't bring their firearms along?  Not sure what it is, but it seems like the resume of a player on that side of the border isn't a great predictor of success on this side of the border.

I certainly don't care one way or the other how stuff is laid out on this site.  Not my site.  Didn't bother me that you started a new topic for it.  In either thread format the net result is the same; we talk about him for a day or two and then move onto the next thing.

39 minutes ago, mbrg said:

It's certainly an interesting tidbit.  Most of these guys have an interesting tidbit.  Just like whatshisface played for the Lions and idolizes Megatron and Megatron dated his sister and he does everything right like Megatron and...nevermind, we already cut him.

The thing about the CFL is pedigree counts for very little here.  Guys from Buttcrack U have just as much success here (and it feels like more) as the guys from BigName U.  The field size?  The waggle?  Playing a yard off the line?  Coming to Canada with too much ego?  Can't bring their firearms along?  Not sure what it is, but it seems like the resume of a player on that side of the border isn't a great predictor of success on this side of the border.

I certainly don't care one way or the other how stuff is laid out on this site.  Not my site.  Didn't bother me that you started a new topic for it.  In either thread format the net result is the same; we talk about him for a day or two and then move onto the next thing.

Seems like this guy loves football and doesn't care where he goes, said he was in JUCO before the SEC. I kinda doubt he would have an ego, I feel playing the SEC is a big deal for a lineman as the defenses are formidable and the pass rushers are often highly recruited in the NFL.

Club hasn't announced it but QB Austin Apodaca's training facility just announced he's signed with the Bombers.

Lots to like about this signing.

6'3", 215 ... very much a pro-style prospect. Absolute gun for an arm ... had he clocked it at the combine instead of a pro day, he would've set the all-time record with a 61 MPH toss. Can make all the CFL throws.

Few things not to like ... he didn't play much in college. Didn't get a lot of opportunity to throw the ball at UNM, ran the triple option offense. Receivers never really helped him out much, so he doesn't have the backing of any good statistics really. Pretty raw.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Club hasn't announced it but QB Austin Apodaca's training facility just announced he's signed with the Bombers.

6'3", 215 ... very much a pro-style prospect. Absolute gun for an arm ... had he clocked it at the combine instead of a pro day, he would've set the all-time record with a 61 MPH toss. Can make all the CFL throws.

Few things not to like ... he didn't play much in college. Didn't get a lot of opportunity to throw the ball at UNM, ran the triple option offense. Receivers never really helped him out much, so he doesn't have the backing of any good statistics really. Pretty raw.

Yup. There are likely a lot of quarterbacks out there who have all the physical tools but have gotten either the gameday experience or coaching to develop. Smarts can make up for a lot of things, but live-fire experience isn't one of them.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Woof.

Well, we could always take Nichols out and put him in for the one time (rounding up) Lapo runs that play this year.