Canadian Politics

On 3/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, Noeller said:

so much anti-French sentiment in this thread.... it's interesting. I understand hate for separation, but is Alberta's current situation any different?? Maybe I've just been living in rural AB for too long (definitely...) but people getting their backs up immediately over anything French related just makes me roll my eyes. 

It's not anti French related. It's anti Canada. Paladeau wants to breaak the country up. He sat as a member of the PQ in the Quebec legislature & ran for its leadership a decade ago. No separatist govt has ever been elected in Alberta. No one separatist has ever been elected to the AB legislature. There are a lot of people in A;berta sniping about Ottawa & especially Trudeau but to say we're somehow lesser Canadians here in Alberta because we complain about Ottawa than someone from Quebec who actually espouses the breakup of our country is mind boggling. You're talking apples & oranges. I have no idea why you act so  surprised when people mention Paladeau is a separatist & that's somehow anti French. No, it's not. Like what country have you lived in the past 40 years??? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 3/3/2023 at 1:45 PM, Noeller said:

I have a relative that was a prof in Montreal for a long time. Anglophone, but fully bilingual obvs, and he told me about that once. Said the Habs are very much the team for French-Quebec, and the Als are more Anglo-Quebec's team. Obviously that's not 100%, but "for the most part..." kinda thing. 

Quebecor would certainly know how to market the team to French Canadians that owners like Stern & Wettenhal couldn't have done. The problem I see is that Quebecor doesn't have a broadcast platform with RDS owned by Bell Canada. I don't know how they can make any money off the team. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Quebecor would certainly know how to market the team to French Canadians that owners like Stern & Wettenhal couldn't have done. The problem I see is that Quebecor doesn't have a broadcast platform with RDS owned by Bell Canada. I don't know how they can make any money off the team. 

I hate to say it but too many of the well heeled corps....such as this is, the club just becomes a tax write off.....I wish it were much more AND it can be with the right owner and marketing....We'll see....Right now it's Quebecor that has stood up, maybe there's other people interested.....big maybe

Edited by Stickem

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's not anti French related. It's anti Canada. Paladeau wants to breaak the country up. He sat as a member of the PQ in the Quebec legislature & ran for its leadership a decade ago. No separatist govt has ever been elected in Alberta. No one separatist has ever been elected to the AB legislature. There are a lot of people in A;berta sniping about Ottawa & especially Trudeau but to say we're somehow lesser Canadians here in Alberta because we complain about Ottawa than someone from Quebec who actually espouses the breakup of our country is mind boggling. You're talking apples & oranges. I have no idea why you act so  surprised when people mention Paladeau is a separatist & that's somehow anti French. No, it's not. Like what country have you lived in the past 40 years??? 

Disagree. Peladeau is doubtless aware that if somehow Quebec were to separate from the rest of Canada, Quebec would instantly become a third-world country and his net worth would plummet. He is smart enough to woo the separatists in Quebec and fan the flames of discontent in Alberta with much the same rhetoric as his papers use in Quebec. Its the same tactic as Faux News uses to bilk the suckers in the US (and a bit in Canada) where what is being stated as fact is well known as BS but its what the mouth-breathers want to hear and will pay for.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Disagree. Peladeau is doubtless aware that if somehow Quebec were to separate from the rest of Canada, Quebec would instantly become a third-world country and his net worth would plummet. He is smart enough to woo the separatists in Quebec and fan the flames of discontent in Alberta with much the same rhetoric as his papers use in Quebec. Its the same tactic as Faux News uses to bilk the suckers in the US (and a bit in Canada) where what is being stated as fact is well known as BS but its what the mouth-breathers want to hear and will pay for.

Separatists including Paladeau don't think like that. They're idealogues. They don't care about Quebec becoming a third world country. It's about language & preserving culture that somehow English Canada has or have tried to have taken away. Sure, their language, culture & finances would suffer more as the language of business with the largest economy in the world is English. Instead of trailblazing  Quebec culture it would shrivel up but that doesn't matter. They want out & that's all there is to it. 

As far as Paladeau losing his economic self worth? he did run for the leadership of the PQ. he's not stupid. He knows what the outcome would be if Quebec did separate. 

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Separatists including Paladeau don't think like that. They're idealogues. They don't care about Quebec becoming a third world country. It's about language & preserving culture that somehow English Canada has or have tried to have taken away. Sure, their language, culture & finances would suffer more as the language of business with the largest economy in the world is English. Instead of trailblazing  Quebec culture it would shrivel up but that doesn't matter. They want out & that's all there is to it. 

As far as Paladeau losing his economic self worth? he did run for the leadership of the PQ. he's not stupid. He knows what the outcome would be if Quebec did separate. 

I still disagree. The very rich got that way by putting the accumulation of wealth ahead of politics and almost everything else. The sociopaths among them don't care how their choices affect anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I still disagree. The very rich got that way by putting the accumulation of wealth ahead of politics and almost everything else. The sociopaths among them don't care how their choices affect anyone else.  EG:

And that kids is how rich people stay rich

Bezos is a POS but I don't get the connection to separaratism. Paladeau still believes in it even though it hurts his financial bottom line. I think he also believes that if Quebec separated he'd control the media in a country of $8 million & still be rich. Besides, a media company can do business in other countries so it doesn't matter anyway.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Bezos is a POS but I don't get the connection to separatism. Paladeau still believes in it even though it hurts his financial bottom line. I think he also believes that if Quebec separated he'd control the media in a country of $8 million & still be rich. Besides, a media company can do business in other countries so it doesn't matter anyway.

Its all a facade to sell newspapers. In Alberta, the Sun papers hype how poorly Alberta is treated by the rest of Canada along with railings against the preferential treatment given to Quebec. In Quebec, they portray Quebec as a victim of a Canada that does not understand or care about the province's unique status.

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

Its all a facade to sell newspapers. In Alberta, the Sun papers hype how poorly Alberta is treated by the rest of Canada along with railings against the preferential treatment given to Quebec. In Quebec, they portray Quebec as a victim of a Canada that does not understand or care about the province's unique status.

Pretty simple to figure out the preferential treatment between Alta. and Que.......one has oil.....the other has population and the votes....Governments will always kiss arse with vote getting.....so Alta. is bringing up the ass end

13 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Pretty simple to figure out the preferential treatment between Alta. and Que.......one has oil.....the other has population and the votes....Governments will always kiss arse with vote getting.....so Alta. is bringing up the ass end

Alberta has a legitimate beef about federal representation:

Alberta population: 4.37 million

Alberta seats in Parliament: 34

Manitoba population: 1.37 million

Manitoba seats in Parliament: 14

AB has 4 times the population of MB, but only 2.5 times the number of seats

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Alberta has a legitimate beef about federal representation:

Alberta population: 4.37 million

Alberta seats in Parliament: 34

Manitoba population: 1.37 million

Manitoba seats in Parliament: 14

AB has 4 times the population of MB, but only 2.5 times the number of seats

Wait until you find out how many live in Toronto and don't have equal representation!

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Eastern bias is a real thing in Canada. The Laurentian elites still view western Canada as the backwater hinterland.  

Imagine believing Laurentian Elites would stoop to that level and acknowledge the mere existence of the West. 

T.O. ....using the phrase in 23' ...'drive for five' (in reality an attempt at 2 cups as a team)....Maybe Harris can have that distinction of five ....the rest of the argos ...not so much.....BUT when we notch no. 3 delayed....the heap Big Smoke &No Fire will have had to retire that slogan along with Harris

Edited by Stickem

10 minutes ago, Stickem said:

T.O. ....using the phrase in 23' ...'drive for five' (in reality an attempt at 2 cups as a team)....Maybe Harris can have that distinction of five ....the rest of the argos ...not so much.....BUT when we notch no. 3 delayed....the heap Big Smoke &No Fire will have had to retire that slogan along with Harris

We are?

24 minutes ago, Stickem said:

That was an article about just Harris though...not sure the Argos are using it.