Canadian Politics

7 hours ago, JCon said:

Wait until you find out how many live in Toronto and don't have equal representation!

Ontario has 10.5 times the population of MB., with 121 seats in parliament

Alberta has 4.7 times the population of MB, with 34 seats in parliament

Use the population increase factors (ON = 10.5, AB = 4.7)

Take the MB. federal seats and multiply:

ON: 4 X 10.5 = 147

AB: 14 x 4.7 = 66

ON is 26 seats short, while AB is 32 seats short

Bottom Line: it's close, and MB is getting a more than fair shake

On 3/5/2023 at 4:03 PM, Bigblue204 said:

Prove it

Prove me wrong. 

8 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Alberta has a legitimate beef about federal representation:

Alberta population: 4.37 million

Alberta seats in Parliament: 34

Manitoba population: 1.37 million

Manitoba seats in Parliament: 14

AB has 4 times the population of MB, but only 2.5 times the number of seats

Look at PEI. Why the hell is that place even a province? The suburb I live in here in Calgary has more people. They have 4 seats.

30 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Prove me wrong. 

Look at PEI. Why the hell is that place even a province? The suburb I live in here in Calgary has more people. They have 4 seats.

It's a historic agreement that was made in 1873 - when they joined Confederation - enticement tactics from Old John A.

Estoppel and long - term legal precedence would make changing that number very difficult, if not impossbile

40 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It's a historic agreement that was made in 1873 - when they joined Confederation - enticement tactics from Old John A.

Estoppel and long - term legal precedence would make changing that number very difficult, if not impossbile

Understood & I know they were part of the original provinces in Co0nfederation. However, a province with 173,000 people having 4 seats. That is disproportionately unfair. Alberta with 34 seats & a population of 4.3 million works out to an average of 126,701 people per seat. In PEI that works out to 43,250 seats per riding.

18 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Canadians need to do a better job learning about their history and governmental structures.

It's not Canadians fault that they know little about their country historically & politically. Canadian history isn't compulsory from Grades 10-12. It's not even taught in high schools anymore. 

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's not Canadians fault that they know little about their country historically & politically. Canadian history isn't compulsory from Grades 10-12. It's not even taught in high schools anymore. 

It's compulsory in MB, I teach it every year.  I also teach Canadian Law and get pretty solid enrollment each time.

#dowhatyoucan

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Understood & I know they were part of the original provinces in Co0nfederation. However, a province with 173,000 people having 4 seats. That is disproportionately unfair. Alberta with 34 seats & a population of 4.3 million works out to an average of 126,701 people per seat. In PEI that works out to 43,250 seats per riding.

It is what it is, it's not going to change. AB politicians need to lobby for more seats. Instead of chanting "triple, triple, triple" in question period.

Just now, Mark H. said:

It's compulsory in MB, I teach it every year.  I also teach Canadian Law and get pretty solid enrollment each time.

#dowhatyoucan

So, has their been a curriculum change across Canada? My sons know nothing about Canadian history. They graduated in 2005 & 09. Canadian history was not offered in junior or senior high in Alberta. That means there are Canadians in their late 20's & up who know nothing about our history, heritage & political system.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, has their been a curriculum change across Canada? My sons know nothing about Canadian history. They graduated in 2005 & 09. Canadian history was not offered in junior or senior high in Alberta. That means there are Canadians in their late 20's & up who know nothing about our history, heritage & political system.

CH has always been mandatory in MB - I can't speak for other provinces, though 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This explains so much.

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Whose fault is it, then?

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

This explains so much.

Yup. Lots of ignorant, uneducated, and uniformed people in many parts of this country.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't believe you and will need to see proof of this claim. Perhaps it's called something other than history in Alberta but there is no chance you are correct on this. (and no I'm not taking your anecdotal "my kids didn't take it" as proof)

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't believe you and will need to see proof of this claim. Perhaps it's called something other than history in Alberta but there is no chance you are correct on this. (and no I'm not taking your anecdotal "my kids didn't take it" as proof)

History is not mentioned as a requirement to graduate in this link, but Social Studies is:

https://www.alberta.ca/education-guide-alberta-high-school-diploma-graduation-requirements-english.aspx

The Social Studies page makes no specific mention of history.  I'm as surprised as you are, I'd imagine.

https://www.learnalberta.ca/content/mychildslearning/highschool_social.html#2

SOCIAL STUDIES 10-1

What is globalization and how does it affect us? Social Studies 10-1 students explore the changing meaning of identity and citizenship in a globalizing world, while also understanding the impacts of globalization, both positive and negative, on people worldwide.

SOCIAL STUDIES 10-2

What is globalization and how does it impact me? Social Studies 10-2 students explore the history and effects of globalization. They develop an understanding of the impact that globalization has on people’s identity and citizenship, while addressing emerging issues that globalization presents.blank.png

KNOWLEDGE AND EMPLOYABILITY SOCIAL STUDIES 10-4

What is globalization and how does it affect me? Knowledge and Employability Social Studies 10-4 students will look at the history of globalization and understand various viewpoints on the effects that globalization has on individuals, local communities and the world as a whole. Students who have experienced challenges or difficulty with their skills will be provided with additional strategies for success in the Knowledge and Employability -4 course sequence.

SOCIAL STUDIES 20-1

What is nationalism and how does it affect us? Social Studies 20-1 students look at the origins and effects of nationalism and weigh its benefits and limitations. They examine issues related to nationalism and consider impacts on individuals, international relations and citizenship.

SOCIAL STUDIES 20-2

What is nationalism and how does it affect me? In Social Studies 20-2, students examine the origins and effects of nationalism from various perspectives, developing an understanding of the impact of nationalism on individuals, international relations and citizenship in Canada.

KNOWLEDGE AND EMPLOYABILITY SOCIAL STUDIES 20-4

What is nationalism and how does it affect us? In Knowledge and Employability Social Studies 20-4, students explore the development of nationalism as well as its effects, considering various perspectives on the idea of nation in Canada. They develop an understanding of the impact of nationalism on individuals, international relations and citizenship. Students who have experienced challenges or difficulty with their skills will be provided with additional strategies for success in the Knowledge and Employability -4 course sequence.

SOCIAL STUDIES 30-1

What are ideologies and how do they affect us? Social Studies 30-1 students examine multiple perspectives on various ideologies and on the influence of these ideologies, focusing particularly on liberalism. They develop an understanding of how ideologies can shape us and our world.

SOCIAL STUDIES 30-2

What are ideologies and how do they affect us? Social Studies 30-2 students will examine multiple perspectives on various ideologies, focusing in particular on liberalism. They will develop an understanding of how ideologies can shape us and our world.

Middle School isn't much better:

Grade 7 Social Studies:

Canada has undergone some major changes during its history, and your Grade 7 child will uncover the stories behind these changes. They will become familiar with the people and events that led to Canadian Confederation and with the political, economic and social changes that took place afterward. Your child will gain an understanding of Canada’s development into the multicultural, bilingual, pluralistic and diverse society we know today. For more about Grade 7 Social Studies, refer to the program of studies.

Grade 8 Social Studies:

Contact between peoples who view the world in different ways has shaped society. By using the historical examples of Japan, Renaissance Europe and Spanish and Aztec civilizations, your teen will examine how societies with differing cultures can affect each other when they come into contact. By exploring how people in different places and times have viewed the world, your teen will think about their own worldview. For more about Grade 8 Social Studies, refer to the program of studies.

Knowledge and Employability Social Studies
Grade 8 Knowledge and Employability Social Studies examines issues related to contact between societies with differing worldviews. Contact between peoples who view the world in different ways has shaped society. By exploring how people in different places and times have viewed the world, your teen will think about their own worldview. Examples of worldviews may be drawn from Japan, Renaissance Europe and Spanish and Aztec societies. Your teen will be provided with additional strategies for success in this Knowledge and Employability course. For more about Grade 8 Knowledge and Employability Social Studies, refer to the program of studies.

Grade 9 Social Studies:

Your teen will discover the important influences that government and economics have on our lives. They’ll focus on the rights, roles and responsibilities of citizens in decision-making processes and in the Canadian justice system. Your teen will also explore issues related to immigration and consider the impact of economic decisions on the quality of life experienced in Canada and in the United States. For more about Grade 9 Social Studies, refer to the program of studies.

Knowledge and Employability Social Studies
Grade 9 Knowledge and Employability Social Studies focuses on citizenship, identity and quality of life. Your teen will discover the important influences that government and economics have on their life. They will focus on the rights, roles and responsibilities of citizens in decision-making processes and in the Canadian justice system. Your teen will also explore issues related to immigration and will consider the impact of economic decisions on the quality of life experienced in Canada and in the United States. They will be provided with additional strategies for success in this course. For more about Grade 9 Knowledge and Employability Social Studies, refer to the program of studies.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-foreign-interference-1.6770511

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre used a morning news conference to cast doubt on the independence of a soon-to-be-announced special rapporteur to investigate claims that China meddled in Canada's last two elections.

On Monday night, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he will name an "eminent" and independent person as a special rapporteur on election interference "who will have a wide mandate and make expert recommendations on combating interference and strengthening our democracy."

Trudeau said he is open to consulting with the opposition parties and would hear their suggestions.

"He could pick someone independent, but he won't," Poilievre told reporters Tuesday morning.

"He'll pick another Liberal establishment insider, a real Ottawa insider with some grey hair who looks like a reasonable fellow, but we all know that it will be someone tied to him, tied to the Liberals."

The irony of career politician like Skippy labeling anyone else a "real Ottawa insider" is priceless.

What a scoundrel.

Some provinces have CH as a compulsory subject in grade 11

Others say you satisfy the requirements - as long as you take some type of grade 11 Social Studies course

Manitoba:

Grade 4: a unit on the History of Manitoba

Grade 5: First Nations - Confederation

Grade 6: Confederation up to the Current era 

(Including an extensive government unit, which is really annoying to teach to 11 and 12 year olds)

Grade 9: Contemporary Canada

Grade 11: a full Canadian History course

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I can absolutely see how Alberta governments wouldn't want people being taught about the real history of Canada.....just some white-washed version of it. That would make all kinds of sense...

That's their whole plan with the new curriculum. Alberta used to have a very well regarded education system. So naturally the UCP wants to gut that because educated voters are bad for their election chances. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

That's their whole plan with the new curriculum. Alberta used to have a very well regarded education system. So naturally the UCP wants to gut that because educated voters are bad for their election chances. 

money pulled from Uni's and put into trade schools........ they know where their bread is buttered.