Canadian Politics

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

this is an example of why PP's "popularity" was tanking according to the last national poll done. Grits once again ahead of the Tories, and PP's personal "favourability" falling every day...

You have wonder what kind of staff he has working for him. It was completely predictable that this would happen. 

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Because the motion wasn't limited to China.  PP needs Russian help.

I don't understand this as I haven't been closely following the story. The tweet doesn't really give much background story. Any help as to why he didn't vote?

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

This is what happens when you put guys who only know how to be angry st those in charge in a leadership role. They are wholly unsuited to the task.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup F Trudeau can only go so far.

All true, but it still gets you pretty far. Like the Presidency. Name the last Government that truly got voted in as opposed to one getting voted out. Now it’s F Trudeau, before it was Stop Harper, before that it was the scandal-ridden Martin/Chrétien regime, before that it was lame duck Campbell paying for the Corrupt Mulroney regime (now being repeated with Stefanson/Pallister in MB).

Rage works because the typical voter would rather be angry and have someone to blame instead of researching actual policies. Politicians know this and play the game for power, giving people a villain to vote against rather than having policies that most will tune out anyway. 

14 hours ago, WildPath said:

I don't understand this as I haven't been closely following the story. The tweet doesn't really give much background story. Any help as to why he didn't vote?

My best guess is he abstained to vote because he has something to hide and an inquiry could potentially expose him. He just chooses to stir up his braindead supporters to get them frothing at the mouth over fabricated narratives and unsubstantiated conjecture, which is clearly all he has as leader of the opposition.

He offers nothing of substance because he has none himself. He's a self-absorbed career politician who has done nothing to make this country a better place.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

My best guess is he abstained to vote because he has something to hide and an inquiry could potentially expose him. He just chooses to stir up his braindead supporters to get them frothing at the mouth over fabricated narratives and unsubstantiated conjecture, which is clearly all he has as leader of the opposition.

He offers nothing of substance because he has none himself. He's a self-absorbed career politician who has done nothing to make this country a better place.

When this all started, I saw a comment on Twitter replying to PP about him not really wanting this to go through because it would also expose him/the PCs. And low and behold...anyone who thinks China was ONLY on the side of the liberals is naïve. Why would they limit their chance of winning like that? Pay both teams and you are 100% going to win.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

All true, but it still gets you pretty far. Like the Presidency. Name the last Government that truly got voted in as opposed to one getting voted out. Now it’s F Trudeau, before it was Stop Harper, before that it was the scandal-ridden Martin/Chrétien regime, before that it was lame duck Campbell paying for the Corrupt Mulroney regime (now being repeated with Stefanson/Pallister in MB).

Rage works because the typical voter would rather be angry and have someone to blame instead of researching actual policies. Politicians know this and play the game for power, giving people a villain to vote against rather than having policies that most will tune out anyway. 

True, but I think the pendulum is starting to swing back to people wanting policies. Under most SM posts by most politicians people aren't buying in to the rage anymore and want to hear ideas/policies. I see it happening more and more. Now does that translate to the public??? Who knows...but hopefully!!

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I actually think Trudeau was voted in more than Harper being voted out. Yes he had been in long enough etc etc but Trudeau was seen favorably at the time as a breath of fresh air.

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I actually think Trudeau was voted in more than Harper being voted out. Yes he had been in long enough etc etc but Trudeau was seen favorably at the time as a breath of fresh air.

Trudeau also committed to a positive campaign and stuck with it.  We hadn't seen a non-negative campaign in quite a while.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

6 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Trudeau also committed to a positive campaign and stuck with it.  We hadn't seen a non-negative campaign in quite a while.

The 2011 election was unique and very unlikely to be repeated

A very weak Liberal party and strength of Jack Layton leading the NDP

No disrespect to Singh or Mulcair, but they are not of Layton's calibre and never will be

We had the NDP not only form the official opposition, but also split the vote in ridings that usually go to the Liberals

4 years later, it was obvious that people were ready to have the Liberals in power again

The current NDP are not going to do for Pollievere what they did for Harper 

Even if they wanted to, I doubt PP is savvy enough to work with them

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

The 2011 election was unique and very unlikely to be repeated

A very weak Liberal party and strength of Jack Layton leading the NDP

No disrespect to Singh or Mulcair, but they are not of Layton's calibre and never will be

We had the NDP not only form the official opposition, but also split the vote in ridings that usually go to the Liberals

4 years later, it was obvious that people were ready to have the Liberals in power again

The current NDP are not going to do for Pollievere what they did for Harper 

Even if they wanted to, I doubt PP is savvy enough to work with them

Certainly agree with the last two comments!

Funny how no one here is talking about the Global TV story that (now former) Liberal MP Han Dong supposedly telling a senior official at the Chinese Consulate in Toronto not to release the two Michaels in 2021 as he felt their release would help the Conservatives. Yeah, those damned Conservatives are always scumbags but the Liberals never are. 

MP Han Dong leaving Liberal caucus, denies allegations of working against release of 2 Michaels (msn.com)

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Funny how no one here is talking about the Global TV story that (now former) Liberal MP Han Dong supposedly telling a senior official at the Chinese Consulate in Toronto not to release the two Michaels in 2021 as he felt their release would help the Conservatives. Yeah, those damned Conservatives are always scumbags but the Liberals never are. 

MP Han Dong leaving Liberal caucus, denies allegations of working against release of 2 Michaels (msn.com)

I've been following it and it doesn't make sense.  The motivations stated are entirely counter-intuitive.

Could be another Maher Arar journalistic disaster,  but I need more information.

https://thewalrus.ca/hear-no-evil-write-no-lies/

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, Cons are always scumbags. 

Remember the time everyone here defended the liberals? Oh, wait... That never happened.

Good on him for stepping down; it's the necessary thing to do.

However, let's not jump to any conclusions yet based on conjecture and hearsay from an "anonymous source" in a gov't agency leaking sensitive information to a media outlet.

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Yeah! Those rotten scumbags with their...(checks notes)... desire for a limited and less intrusive government!

You're huffing the bad stuff if you seriously believe such nonsense.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/us-strategist-apologizes-joke-prime-minister-trudeau-1.6787514

An American conservative strategist is apologizing for making what he called a "dumb joke" about having an opportunity to kill the prime minister.

Steven Sutton (profile), an executive of the Leadership Institute — a U.S. conservative strategy firm — was delivering a presentation in Ottawa on Wednesday at the Canada Strong and Free Networking Conference, formerly known as the Manning Networking Conference.

Sutton's presentation focused on campaign messaging. He was speaking about what he heard during a Tuesday visit to the House of Commons when he made the remark about Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

"Trudeau crossed us. He was within two feet of us," he said. "I had my chance. That was it … I went to the [U.S.] Naval Academy so I could have killed him 20 different ways."

Immediately after he made the remark, it appeared that someone in the crowd suggested his comment might be taken the wrong way.

"I don't care if I get cancelled in Canada," he replied. "I don't care if I get cancelled anywhere."

Following his presentation, Sutton told CBC that the remark was a "dumb joke" and apologized.

"I apologize if anyone was offended. Obviously it was a meaningless thing," he said.

The Canada Strong and Free Network was founded in 2005 as the Manning Centre for Building Democracy. The organization hosts regular events, including an annual networking conference, to share ideas about advancing the conservative movement in Canada.

Idiot.

39 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I've been following it and it doesn't make sense.  The motivations stated are entirely counter-intuitive.

Could be another Maher Arar journalistic disaster,  but I need more information.

https://thewalrus.ca/hear-no-evil-write-no-lies/

I haven't been able to make sense of any of those election interference allegations

Trudeau deflections and Pollievere snide marks - are mostly adding more mud to the water

35 minutes ago, bluto said:

Yeah! Those rotten scumbags with their...(checks notes)... desire for a limited and less intrusive government!

I know right!  Damn fresh air and a paltry 40-hour work week are making it hard for a guy to get a solid 8-hour sleep each night.  I think I need more exhaustion and pollution in my "diet",

19 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yup, dangerous idiot.

You know it's not a genuine apology when someone says I'm sorry if . . . .

A genuine apology is I'm sorry for . . . and here's how I'm going to make it better . . .