Canadian Politics

21 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

That was an article about just Harris though...not sure the Argos are using it.

Yeah....it's a little misleading...I didn't read it through as it made me gag but you're right ....five for our former star .....that's about it....In any event we'll do our best to deny that attempt

3 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Only explicit mention of "Canadian History" is in Grade 7, but I don't pretend to be an expert on the Alberta History Curriculum.

But the discussions regarding the topics include history of them so really history is baked into social studies. Which IMO is ok. Gives a more fluid teaching on how history has shaped current society.

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't believe you and will need to see proof of this claim. Perhaps it's called something other than history in Alberta but there is no chance you are correct on this. (and no I'm not taking your anecdotal "my kids didn't take it" as proof)

Proof? What proof??? Why would I lie to prove a point here? What you're asking is impossible to do.. That would be like asking for proof what the Grade 12 curriculum at Churchill High School in Winnipeg was like in 1968.

I worked at Centennial High School in Calgary for nearly 10 years as an Educational Assistant. From 2005 to 2014. They had no history courses available to students back then, They had one Geography class that studied the rise of European Nationalism. I wanted both my sons to have studied Canadian history but there wasn't anything they could take. Other than that, it's all I can tell you. Same thing at Lord Beaverbrook with my older son. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

that is gross.... and absolutely explains a lot about our current society (especially politically)

That's my point. Isn't it up to the canadian educational system to teach students about our history?? People aren't going to suddenly wake up at age 35 wanting to know who Wilfred Laurier was. Or what was this jet fighter in the 50's our Canadian engineers developed & Diefenbaker killed at the strongly urgent demands of US President Dwight Eisenhower?? Those things are just getting washed away in the rivers of time. 

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Proof? What proof??? Why would I lie to prove a point here? What you're asking is impossible to do.. That would be like asking for proof what the Grade 12 curriculum at Churchill High School in Winnipeg was like in 1968.

I worked at Centennial High School in Calgary for nearly 10 years as an Educational Assistant. From 2005 to 2014. They had no history courses available to students back then, They had one Geography class that studied the rise of European Nationalism. I wanted both my sons to have studied Canadian history but there wasn't anything they could take. Other than that, it's all I can tell you. Same thing at Lord Beaverbrook with my older son. 

That's mind-numbing...I can't even begin to wrap my brain around it.

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That's mind-numbing...I can't even begin to wrap my brain around it.

I couldn't believe it myself. Kids in Alberta have no clue about Canadian history. My youngest actually read up on our history over the years & knows quite a bit about it. So, where does he end up living? Seattle. My oldest here in Calgary doesn't care about Canadian history. Knows nothing about & doesn't give a ****. Ask him about Vimy Ridge or Dunkirk & he knows nothing about it. 

The Alberta Conservatives took Canadian history out of the curriculum many years ago. Interesting that the NDP didn't put it back in when they had the chance.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vern-white-nsicop-china-poilievre-1.6774671

Vern White, a former member of the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians (NSICOP), didn't mince words when describing Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's characterization of the oversight group.

At the start of the week, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced he had asked NSICOP to review foreign interference in Canada's elections.

Poilievre accused him of covering up the issue "with a secret process that he controls." Michael Chong, the Conservative critic for foreign affairs, described NSICOP's work as "secret hearings, secret evidence and secret conclusions, all controlled by the prime minister."

"Obviously, that's BS," White, a former Conservative senator, told CBC's The House.

"Our work was done unfettered, totally unfettered."

NSICOP is a bipartisan assembly of MPs and senators who are sworn to secrecy in order to receive top-secret briefings.

Their classified reports are sent to the prime minister before a redacted version is made public.

"And then there are strict rules on the things that need to be redacted. Read the legislation. It's very clear," said White. 

"It's too bad politics is becoming the player here."

According to NSICOP's legislation, if publicly disclosing certain information would be "injurious to national security, national defence or international relations," or if information is "protected by litigation privilege or by solicitor-client privilege or the professional secrecy of advocates and notaries," the prime minister can direct the committee to redact it from the public versions of its reports.

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Truth and facts don't matter. Point the finger, get the soundbite out, raise alarm, cause divisions based on misinformation. All in the desire for power and control.

It doesn't really matter if you are proven completely incorrect as the followers dismiss that as bias. The damage has already been done.

24 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Truth and facts don't matter. Point the finger, get the soundbite out, raise alarm, cause divisions based on misinformation. All in the desire for power and control.

It doesn't really matter if you are proven completely incorrect as the followers dismiss that as bias. The damage has already been done.

Many people recall only the accusation but not the retraction or correction. 

14 hours ago, WildPath said:

Spot on. This is so our current environment. And when someone calls me on my bullshit all I have to do is yell back Cancel Culture!

14 hours ago, WildPath said:

I guess the only question is: is this resonating only with his base?  Or is it carrying further?

Anyone that really wants to, can look up the opinion of someone like Colin Robertson (he was on CJOB).  

It's quite clear what's going on: foreign countries are influencing areas with high recent immigrant populations - to vote for their party of choice

China does it, Dubai does it, others do it too.  

45 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

This is something that's missing from the convo imo. They do, we do it. Everyone that has the ability to do it...does it. This fake outrage over it is ridiculous.

I did hear it from Cloutier on CJOB & various journalists on CBC. 

I think Trudeau should've said 'yes' when Polliviere was pushing him during question period.  

And then let's have a conversation about what's actually going on.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I did hear it from Cloutier on CJOB & various journalists on CBC. 

I think Trudeau should've said 'yes' when Polliviere was pushing him during question period.  

And then let's have a conversation about what's actually going on.

Agreed. 

You can't have a public inquiry because so much would be classified to make any sense but parliamentarins have special clearances and can investigate. 

But, this picking up random leaks of random intel does a disservice to Canadians. 

We need clarity on what has happened or we need our parliamentarians to be informed. 

They need to get on this now. 

49 minutes ago, JCon said:

Agreed. 

You can't have a public inquiry because so much would be classified to make any sense but parliamentarins have special clearances and can investigate. 

But, this picking up random leaks of random intel does a disservice to Canadians. 

We need clarity on what has happened or we need our parliamentarians to be informed. 

They need to get on this now. 

There is a multi-party committee overseeing CSIS and national security and Poilievre has been called out by a Conservative MP who sits on that committee. The gist of what was said is that every member of that committee has had full updates and disclosures but are sworn to secrecy to protect sources and the degree of awareness that CSIS has about any meddling by foreign governments and actors in Canadian political affairs. Poilievre has carte blanche to huff and puff knowing full well that the government and committee cannot speak candidly on these matters.

29 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There is a multi-party committee overseeing CSIS and national security and Poilievre has been called out by a Conservative MP who sits on that committee. The gist of what was said is that every member of that committee has had full updates and disclosures but are sworn to secrecy to protect sources and the degree of awareness that CSIS has about any meddling by foreign governments and actors in Canadian political affairs. Poilievre has carte blanche to huff and puff knowing full well that the government and committee cannot speak candidly on these matters.

To the point of referring to two Liberal ministers as 'two stooges.'  

Start listening at 5:00.  In my opinion, the speaker needs to remove Polliviere from QP, at some point.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:53 PM, Tracker said:

Poilievre has been called out by a Conservative MP who sits on that committee. The gist of what was said is that every member of that committee has had full updates and disclosures but are sworn to secrecy to protect sources and the degree of awareness that CSIS has about any meddling by foreign governments and actors in Canadian political affairs. Poilievre has carte blanche to huff and puff knowing full well that the government and committee cannot speak candidly on these matters.

Who was the MP that called him out?