Around The League Off Season Discussion

On 5/12/2017 at 2:00 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

You need to qualify that.  It's not that simple, football has to deal with this issue and not pretend that there isn't a serious problem with their game-plan. 

Football really needs an evolution of PPE around shoulders/head, and better protection of players. No easy answers, no one wants it to become touch football but no one wants players maimed either.  And you cant deal with a problem until you admit its a problem. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Football really needs an evolution of PPE around shoulders/head, and better protection of players. No easy answers, no one wants it to become touch football but no one wants players maimed either.  And you cant deal with a problem until you admit its a problem. 

That protection is coming. Helmet technology is getting better. Head trauma will never totally be eliminated but if the helmet manufacturers can reduce concussions by half then things will be a lot better for football as a sport. Teaching proper tackling techniques at the community & high school level rather than "hitting" & leading with the helmet will reduce head injuries as well.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That protection is coming. Helmet technology is getting better. Head trauma will never totally be eliminated but if the helmet manufacturers can reduce concussions by half then things will be a lot better for football as a sport. Teaching proper tackling techniques at the community & high school level rather than "hitting" & leading with the helmet will reduce head injuries as well.

That's probably the biggest thing. I don't imagine that rugby has any more concussion problems than football and those guys play a physical game, they just have to make proper tackles and aren't trying to turn themselves into missiles to take the lazy way out of tackling. 

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That's probably the biggest thing. I don't imagine that rugby has any more concussion problems than football and those guys play a physical game, they just have to make proper tackles and aren't trying to turn themselves into missiles to take the lazy way out of tackling. 

That's the thing, the more protective equipment becomes the more it gets used as a weapon.  If we only had flubber.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think it comes down to the physics of motion and equipment no matter how advanced will only be able to do so much to alleviate concussions.  Our bodies are just not designed for that level of impact.  The brain is like a bowl of jello in a contained space, if somebody can figure out how to keep it from sloshing around when it goes from 10 km to zero in a half second then that would be the basis for improvement, imo equipment will not conquer physics. 

25 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think it comes down to the physics of motion and equipment no matter how advanced will only be able to do so much to alleviate concussions.  Our bodies are just not designed for that level of impact.  The brain is like a bowl of jello in a contained space, if somebody can figure out how to keep it from sloshing around when it goes from 10 km to zero in a half second then that would be the basis for improvement, imo equipment will not conquer physics. 

You are exactly right.  Helmets can't prevent concussions from force, only protect from direct blows to the head.

They need to start severely penalizing illegal tackles, high tackles and ones where players launch themselves head first into any part of an opponent.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Exactly. Seattle Seahawk coaching staff teach the rugby way of tackling. It involves proper positioning prior to the tackle & turning the head away upon contact. Wrap & finish the tackle.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Absolutely true but hopefully teaching kids the right way to tackle & the improving technology that goes into modern helmets will help cut down the # of head trauma incidents. You still see the odd defensive player deliberately lead with the crown of the helmet which is now illegal. A few years that would have been a legal hit.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

This is from Wayne Shaw (Clamps) on the Riders forum.

" When I played my first year of football in Grade 12 at Notre Dame College and then with the Hilltops Junior club for 2 years it just seemed to be more natural for me to tackle with my arms and shoulders than with my head. I believe it came from all my teen years of fighting off my 2 older brothers who were better at boxing than I and so I would try to duck their punches and finally just grab them with my arms & shoulders and sit on them. I had become stronger in the arms & shoulders than my 2 older brother by doing more physical labour on the farm like rock picking , hay bale loading milking cows etc. etc. while my 2 older brothers got to drive tractors which didn't build their muscles in a natural way like mine. During my first 2 years with the Riders when old Steve Owens & Len Younce who had played & coached with the New York Giants and they never stopped coaching or bugging me too put more of my head into the tackles. When Eagle Keys became our Head coach he liked the way I tackled with my arms & shoulders and nicknamed me "Clamps" for making good tackles to bring runners & receivers down with my arms & shoulders without my head. I am quite sure I got at least one concussion per year for my 12 years tackling with my arms & shoulders and I am quite sure I would be with my 4 Brothers in the after life if I would have tackled what they called the proper way in the 60's & 7o's so I guess I have Eagle Keys to Thank for being still here and for making 7 AllStar teams in my 12 years with the Riders. It is amazing to me that it took some many years from the 1960's for all those smart American players & coaches to catch up to Eagle Keys & I about tackling to save your brain somewhat."

Even though he employed better tackling technique he is currently suffering from the effects of CTE.  Incidental contact and full body collisions over the course of a career will cause some amount of brain damage and there is unlikely any way to avoid it.  It's the nature of the game, as long as the contestants are well aware of the consequences, then it's their personal decision to participate.

13 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

" When I played my first year of football in Grade 12 at Notre Dame College and then with the Hilltops Junior club for 2 years it just seemed to be more natural for me to tackle with my arms and shoulders than with my head. I believe it came from all my teen years of fighting off my 2 older brothers who were better at boxing than I and so I would try to duck their punches and finally just grab them with my arms & shoulders and sit on them. I had become stronger in the arms & shoulders than my 2 older brother by doing more physical labour on the farm like rock picking , hay bale loading milking cows etc. etc. while my 2 older brothers got to drive tractors which didn't build their muscles in a natural way like mine. During my first 2 years with the Riders when old Steve Owens & Len Younce who had played & coached with the New York Giants and they never stopped coaching or bugging me too put more of my head into the tackles. When Eagle Keys became our Head coach he liked the way I tackled with my arms & shoulders and nicknamed me "Clamps" for making good tackles to bring runners & receivers down with my arms & shoulders without my head. I am quite sure I got at least one concussion per year for my 12 years tackling with my arms & shoulders and I am quite sure I would be with my 4 Brothers in the after life if I would have tackled what they called the proper way in the 60's & 7o's so I guess I have Eagle Keys to Thank for being still here and for making 7 AllStar teams in my 12 years with the Riders. It is amazing to me that it took some many years from the 1960's for all those smart American players & coaches to catch up to Eagle Keys & I about tackling to save your brain somewhat."

Even though he employed better tackling technique he is currently suffering from the effects of CTE.  Incidental contact and full body collisions over the course of a career will cause some amount of brain damage and there is unlikely any way to avoid it.  It's the nature of the game, as long as the contestants are well aware of the consequences, then it's their personal decision to participate.

Helmets just had a bit of foam in the shell back then.

On 2017-5-13 at 9:44 AM, Ripper said:

Are you interested in the Bombers signing him for big money?

25 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

International Hockey does not allow fighting yet some of the best hockey is in that arena. NHL does not want to stop fighting because it brings in money.  Employers in all businesses have a responsibility to ensure the safety of their employees if they fail they will have to pay. Professional sports put the onus on the players to look after themselves. It should not be the responsibility of a rookie to insure no one goes nuts on him and knocks him out with a head shot. 

11 minutes ago, LeBird said:

International Hockey does not allow fighting yet some of the best hockey is in that arena. NHL does not want to stop fighting because it brings in money.  Employers in all businesses have a responsibility to ensure the safety of their employees if they fail they will have to pay. Professional sports put the onus on the players to look after themselves. It should not be the responsibility of a rookie to insure no one goes nuts on him and knocks him out with a head shot. 

I agree, game disqualification for head-shots on any player should send a clear message.

44 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I agree, game disqualification for head-shots on any player should send a clear message.

I am a huge fan of Loffler but that hit on Manny A. in the semi-final last year was just brutal.  When you see a player doing the funky chicken after a hit it used to be funny, but knowing what we know now it's extremely scary.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I just don't see it in him as a pro player.

Canadian defensive ends in his body just don't seem to make the transition.

Have absolutely zero reason to disagree with you........I laugh because my favourite posts around here are when someone posts something as fact, and then you quote it and tell them they're a moron without saying they're a moron. Best posts by a mile....laugh every time.

29 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Have absolutely zero reason to disagree with you........I laugh because my favourite posts around here are when someone posts something as fact, and then you quote it and tell them they're a moron without saying they're a moron. Best posts by a mile....laugh every time.

Man, the season needs to start soon.  Must be bad air in Alberta or something.

When I say I think Boateng is a good fifth round pick... that is not stating something as a 'fact'