Around The League Off Season Discussion

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Other than Feoli-Gudino we have no idea if the others are actual CFLers or if they can stay healthy enough to show either way.  We'll probably dress 3-4 NI receivers over 18 games assuming some injuries.  We need someone, or we will most likely, and very likely we'll need someone other than Feoli-Gudino to start some games unless he makes it through 18.

Spencer Watt just came free. he was released by the Ti Cats today.

35 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Spencer Watt just came free. he was released by the Ti Cats today.

You missed a big chunk of off conversation.... That's what they're talking about. Twitter said this afternoon they think Watt is Winnipeg bound... 

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

Not arguing with the combine measurements... just interesting that he's marketed as 6'2 250... really explains his drop in rankings

But if his game film got him ranked top 15 by scouts, there's something there... and in the fifth round, he's a value pick.

This CFL.ca guy seems to like him (this article is also 3 months old)...

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/22/lauriers-boateng-gives-new-meaning-hard-work/

I have no idea if he is any good or not... but I would probably agree with you that he's a good value for the 5th round... If he sucks, no big deal, just release him... if he ends up being a good rotational player or even starter, that's a steal... even if he ends up being a decent special teamer for some years that's a pretty good pick...

24 minutes ago, bearpants said:

This CFL.ca guy seems to like him (this article is also 3 months old)...

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/22/lauriers-boateng-gives-new-meaning-hard-work/

I have no idea if he is any good or not... but I would probably agree with you that he's a good value for the 5th round... If he sucks, no big deal, just release him... if he ends up being a good rotational player or even starter, that's a steal... even if he ends up being a decent special teamer for some years that's a pretty good pick...

He kinda reminds me of another DE who dropped in the draft....  Elie Ngoyi... was ranked in the top 20 and ended up going to the Esks in the sixth round in 2013.  He's ended up being a pretty decent special teamer for 4 years, going on 5 now.  Boateng could have a similar trajectory and there's nothing wrong with that for a fifth rounder.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Who is John Hodge anyway? Is he just a fan who writes a blog & was picked up by 3 Down Nation?

Yah...great fan who likes to crunch numbers and can write some great articles...no real inside info apart from his connection with the 3rd down nation folks...his podcast is pretty good and he gets some interesting guests.  Pretty neat to see how he has been able to get some exposure all starting with his "Firejoemack" twitter handle years ago.  Went to school in Brandon and is a teacher - comes from a super nice family...There you go...

Watt would be nice. I also like vaughan. Wouldnt mind having him case one of our 2nd year guys take a step back. 

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

He pretty much instantly would be in a dead heat with JFG for the starting job,

Imop watt would be the better WR while JFG the better teams, blocker etc. 

Just now, Atomic said:

I'm still hoping Addison Richards can make good on his potential this year.  But if not, Spencer Watt would be a fine option.

yea me too.. this should really be his make or break year.. if he stays healthy I think we get to see what we have been waiting for.. good or bad lol.

I'm pulling for the kid tho, has the tool kit and physical specs.. lets hope it comes together.

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Now we're excited to sign Spencer Watt...?  An undersized journeyman receiver coming off his worst career season after an achilles injury...

I'm failing to see the benefit to the bombers here.

This is a 'hey we recognize this guys name' thread...

I think Walters is expected to bring in competition for all positions, including an area of weakness for the club.

At the right price, I don't see how bringing in a capable NI receiver hurts the club?

Just now, JCon said:

I think Walters is expected to bring in competition for all positions, including an area of weakness for the club.

At the right price, I don't see how bringing in a capable NI receiver hurts the club?

It doesn't... but 28 years old coming off a 200 yard season is not 'capable'.

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Now we're excited to sign Spencer Watt...?  An undersized journeyman receiver coming off his worst career season after an achilles injury...

I'm failing to see the benefit to the bombers here.

This is a 'hey we recognize this guys name' thread...

excited may be a bit of a stretch. Seeing a lot of "he'd be a decent back-up/role filler" etc. And some "no thanks".

Worst season after backing up one of the best NI's rec in the league. It's not like he was starting every game as a slot or something. Context is important.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

excited may be a bit of a stretch. Seeing a lot of "he'd be a decent back-up/role filler" etc. And some "no thanks".

Worst season after backing up one of the best NI's rec in the league. It's not like he was starting every game as a slot or something. Context is important.

Context is also 'coming off achilles injury'...