Around The League Off Season Discussion

The risk of signing a vet who has an injury history is you may own him if he gets hurt. Hoping that a quality National is going to get released from another team is not a good plan. National depth is paramount and teams know it. You better hoard, hide or fake injure them to secure depth.

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

The risk of signing a vet who has an injury history is you may own him if he gets hurt. Hoping that a quality National is going to get released from another team is not a good plan. National depth is paramount and teams know it. You better hoard, hide or fake injure them to secure depth.

In the cfl the vet cut day is soo far back in the season you arent likely to be stuck paying some one hurt and regret it unless its a QB.

Hoping for it, no thats a bad plan. Taking it if it comes is fine. Like JFG, remple (iirc) and a few others. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

He got paid more because he was a free agent coming off a relatively big year.

That's the same thing just worded differently, IMO. A rookie always gets paid less than a veteran. The Ti Cats want to go younger & cheaper at the SB position so Watt was released.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

To argue the other side, it can be said that A.C.'s scrapheap year of 2007 where he threw for over 3600 yards, 17 tds versus 8ints in only 13 games is better than any season Willy has ever had.

I remember AC was ready to pack it in after his years in Hamilton. He had lost all his confidence & credits playing behind Tracy Ham as well as Trestman for making him a better qb. He certainly had a great later career while with the Als.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can Marc Trestman pull Drew Willy off the scrap heap the same way he did Anthony Calvillo? Not a better qb coach to learn the game from as a qb than Trestman. We'll see as the jury is still out on Willy.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/05/16/willy-ready-for-whatever-comes-with-argos

How did he pull ac off the heap? he joined in 07, ac threw for 3600 17-8. in 06 4700/20. The three years before that 5500+ 6k+ 5800+ with 37/34/31. The don in 02 and dave ritchie before him would be far more the guys who pulled him off the heap.

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

How did he pull ac off the heap? he joined in 07, ac threw for 3600 17-8. in 06 4700/20. The three years before that 5500+ 6k+ 5800+ with 37/34/31. The don in 02 and dave ritchie before him would be far more the guys who pulled him off the heap.

Okay whatever but AC's best years were still with Trestman. His years in Hamilton were losing seasons. He has said on multiple occasions he was ready to quit when he left the Ti Cats until he went to the Als. He went 8-10 (1995), 8-10 (1996) & 2-16 (1997) with the Ti Cats. Calvillo gives a ton of credit to Trestman for designing an offense that really suited his style of play. My point is can Trestman turn Willy's career around? That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

58 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Okay whatever but AC's best years were still with Trestman. His years in Hamilton were losing seasons. He has said on multiple occasions he was ready to quit when he left the Ti Cats until he went to the Als. He went 8-10 (1995), 8-10 (1996) & 2-16 (1997) with the Ti Cats. Calvillo gives a ton of credit to Trestman for designing an offense that really suited his style of play. My point is can Trestman turn Willy's career around? That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

except for the 3 years he flirted with 6k before trestman. 

Yes, he was in bad shape in his career going to MTL. but in that era trestman was in the nfl. he didnt come to the cfl till 2007. what does he have to do with the time when AC first went to the als?

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

except for the 3 years he flirted with 6k before trestman. 

Yes, he was in bad shape in his career going to MTL. but in that era trestman was in the nfl. he didnt come to the cfl till 2007. what does he have to do with the time when AC first went to the als?

I don't know. You take a simple quote I said & then make a huge deal about it when the point was about Trestman working with Drew Willy to perhaps make him into a great CFL qb. You win. You got me. I screwed up. I admit that I made a mistake on the AC timeline. Horror of horrors, I effed up.  Imagine, what an embarrassment making a mistake like that in front of everyone here like I did. I feel just terrible right now.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't know. You take a simple quote I said & then make a huge deal about it when the point was about Trestman working with Drew Willy to perhaps make him into a great CFL qb. You win. You got me. I screwed up. I admit that I made a mistake on the AC timeline. Horror of horrors, I effed up.  Imagine, what an embarrassment making a mistake like that in front of everyone here like I did. I feel just terrible right now.

Welcome to my world.

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Trestman joined the Als in 2008. Jim Popp was HC in 2007.

After the 2007 season it was widely reported that AC was considering retiring and many wondered whether he was done because of the pounding he took (Als gave up over 60 sacks that year).

Edited by Jacquie