Around The League Off Season Discussion

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

I just don't see it in him as a pro player.

Canadian defensive ends in his body just don't seem to make the transition.

So you don't have much hope for Corney?  

What makes Corney are great pick at 9th overall yet Boateng isn't a value pick in the 5th.  Same size.

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

What makes Corney are great pick at 9th overall yet Boateng isn't a value pick in the 5th.  Same size.

Corney has the prototypical DE build tho, doesn't he? Big, fast, speed rusher..

15 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Are they?  I thought Boateng was kinda small for a DE, like 6'0" 235 type deal.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Are they?  I thought Boateng was kinda small for a DE, like 6'0" 235 type deal.

Depends where you look... but mostly what I've seen he's 6'2 250

I just don't believe he would have got an NFL camp invite being lighter than that...?

Corney is 6'3", 254; Boateng is 6', 233 - they're not even close to the same size.

What is there to like about Boateng? Seriously. He's slow, he's not explosive and he made his mark at Wilfrid Laurier being able to out-athlete guys who aren't athletes. He's a less athletic version of a guy like Evan Foster, who nobody views as a serious threat to be anything but a special teams guy. Is it any surprise that he was ranked as a top prospect until teams found out he was basically 2 1/2 inches shorter than what his university team touted him as?

I'm not trying to tell anyone their opinion is wrong. I just don't see what the difference is between a guy like Boateng and a guy like, let's say ... Mark Mackie, who was touted as the "not good enough, underdog, too small" guy all combine long.

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Corney 6'3 254 LB

Boateng 6'0 235 LBs

I'd think Boateng is more an undersized tackle almost.

University sites listing him around 250... anyway, not too hung up on height/weight

If he's the next Shomari Williams, this is still great value in the fifth round.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Corney is 6'3", 254; Boateng is 6', 233 - they're not even close to the same size.

What is there to like about Boateng? Seriously. He's slow, he's not explosive and he made his mark at Wilfrid Laurier being able to out-athlete guys who aren't athletes. He's a less athletic version of a guy like Evan Foster, who nobody views as a serious threat to be anything but a special teams guy. Is it any surprise that he was ranked as a top prospect until teams found out he was basically 2 1/2 inches shorter than what his university team touted him as?

I'm not trying to tell anyone their opinion is wrong. I just don't see what the difference is between a guy like Boateng and a guy like, let's say ... Mark Mackie, who was touted as the "not good enough, underdog, too small" guy all combine long.

Bears still listed him as 6'2 250 too...

Yeah, I'm not pumping Boateng for top pick.  But Bears obviously saw something in him and his CIS stats are very good so I'd say there's a higher ceiling for a guy like this than Mackie, etc...  

17 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Bears still listed him as 6'2 250 too...

Yeah, I'm not pumping Boateng for top pick.  But Bears obviously saw something in him and his CIS stats are very good so I'd say there's a higher ceiling for a guy like this than Mackie, etc...  

He was measured at the combine. I'd say that's as official as it gets unless you believe his height is like his shirt and he can change it every day.

Argos release Spencer Watt, and Twitter speculating that the Bombers will have interest because Watt spent 4 years with MOS and they're quite amicable....also, Bombers (apparently) need a NI REC and have Waggoner's salary space...

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Argos release Spencer Watt, and Twitter speculating that the Bombers will have interest because Watt spent 4 years with MOS and they're quite amicable....also, Bombers (apparently) need a NI REC and have Waggoner's salary space...

Can't see it, he played 6 years and his best season was 34/424 yds. playing catch with Ricky Ray.  Hope they can do better.

On 5/14/2017 at 0:16 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

1967: 04d6db0a0ed59534f2c5c595b476dc00.jpg

2017:  610462.jpg

Helmet technology & design improvements in 50 years. The research will continue to bring new & safer helmets for players

nailed it. What we need is gear that doesnt make you feel like the juggernaut when hitting but protects like it from hits. 

41 minutes ago, Floyd said:

University sites listing him around 250... anyway, not too hung up on height/weight

If he's the next Shomari Williams, this is still great value in the fifth round.

college listings are all too often hokum.

Being 230s and playing end against tackles even in the cfl is a huge task. 

Gavin walls and joe the monster are the only ones i can recall that really pulled it off. Gavin was a thorough breed pass rusher and phenomenal athlete. And so was montford That was also a whole other era athletically.  

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not sure if that's a need (Coates, Feoli-Gudino, Richards) but if the price point is reasonable, Watt could be a good addition. The familiarity with O'Shea is another plus.

19 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Not sure if that's a need (Coates, Feoli-Gudino, Richards) but if the price point is reasonable, Watt could be a good addition. The familiarity with O'Shea is another plus.

I'm a firm believer that we don't *need* a NI REC......talking heads are another story. I'm excited to see the scrap between D'Italiano and the others in camp...

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I think a nice comparison for Boateng and predictor for his future success could potentially be Ettore Lattanzio.

That's exactly who I thought of as I was reading everyone's descriptions of Boateng. Lattanzio might be more muscly but he's also 6'0 and not exceptionally fast... but still good enough to pick up 5 sacks and play teams with OTT last season. There is room on most defenses for Nationals like these.

On 2017-05-14 at 1:56 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Helmets just had a bit of foam in the shell back then.

Back then there was no foam, worked with webbing suspended and attached to the plastic so your head floated around in the middle.

On 2017-05-14 at 0:16 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

1967: 04d6db0a0ed59534f2c5c595b476dc00.jpg

2017:  610462.jpg

Helmet technology & design improvements in 50 years. The research will continue to bring new & safer helmets for players

But concussions occur when the brain slaps the inside of your skull after an abrupt stop. No helmet is going to stop that from happening. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I'm a firm believer that we don't *need* a NI REC......talking heads are another story. I'm excited to see the scrap between D'Italiano and the others in camp...

Other than Feoli-Gudino we have no idea if the others are actual CFLers or if they can stay healthy enough to show either way.  We'll probably dress 3-4 NI receivers over 18 games assuming some injuries.  We need someone, or we will most likely, and very likely we'll need someone other than Feoli-Gudino to start some games unless he makes it through 18.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

He was measured at the combine. I'd say that's as official as it gets unless you believe his height is like his shirt and he can change it every day.

Not arguing with the combine measurements... just interesting that he's marketed as 6'2 250... really explains his drop in rankings

But if his game film got him ranked top 15 by scouts, there's something there... and in the fifth round, he's a value pick.