Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?

Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

If firing him means hiring his mid-season replacement in the off season, that is a failing on management and shouldn’t be the reason we keep him

Initially last night, I didn't think I wanted O'Shea gone. For that exact reason - I don't want LaPolice or Hall as the head coach either.

Because we've seen that story one too many times before.

But you're right - if the best reason we can keep a guy is that at least it's not another guy, that's not a reason at all. Get rid of him and make sure management does the right thing in the offseason.

O'Shea is done.

Count me in the same boat as Mike. I've gone to similar lengths in my life. I used to watch "Fever Pitch" with potential girlfriends just to kind of explain things a little bit and say "listen, if you're not in at this level...it's not going to work". Luckily, I've found someone who gets it and is on board. 

I think most would agree I'm one of the most positive on this board...one of the last to ever criticize the team or jump on any one player or coach. But I'm just done right now...emotionally exhausted. I can't keep watching all the losing. I'm an Oilers fan and a Bombers fan....it's just too much, year in and year out.

I'm coming home in a week and we'd planned on coming in from Victoria Beach (where we spend most of our holidays) to go to the game on the Wednesday night vs Hamilton, but now I'm questioning whether I want to make the drive, buy tickets, etc.....I think maybe I'll just watch it on tv at the cabin, so I can shut it off, if it's a **** show.

I don't know what the problem is, or how you fix it, but something has to be done to fix the core of the problem....when even the most diehard among us are giving up....that's a really serious problem.

Edited by Noeller

I gotta say that I'm feeling somewhat disillusioned with the situation right now, just like so many of you.  Until last night, I was firmly in the "O'Shea should stay until the end of the season." but after watching the game (until half time) and then watching his post game interviews, it's pretty clear to me that he's got zero solutions for this team and there's really no point in keeping him around.  If he showed even a tenth of the passion and fire he had as a player, he'd probably be ok, but he just looks lost.  Too bad really.

I'm still on the fence about Walters but I'll say this - if he allows this to go on much more than the next game, then he's demonstrated to me that he's not got the ability to do whatever needs to be done in order to make this team as good as it can be NOW.  Not next week, next month or next year, now, and in my opinion, O'Shea is holding this team back because he's out of ideas.  So either Walters needs to put on the big boy pants and do what needs to be done, or he should be shown the door too. 

But I will say this, I know we suck, but that's the point WE suck.  I'll always support this team, wear their colours, take the ridicule of all the green and white folk that surround me because of what that W stands for, or at least, what it used to stand for.  

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Count me in the same boat as Mike. I've gone to similar lengths in my life. I used to watch "Fever Pitch" with potential girlfriends just to kind of explain things a little bit and say "listen, if you're not in at this level...it's not going to work". Luckily, I've found someone who gets it and is on board. 

I think most would agree I'm one of the most positive on this board...one of the last to ever criticize the team or jump on any one player or coach. But I'm just done right now...emotionally exhausted. I can't keep watching all the losing. I'm an Oilers fan and a Bombers fan....it's just too much, year in and year out. I'm coming home in a week and we'd planned on coming in from Victoria Beach (where we spend most of our holidays) to go to the game on the Wednesday night vs Hamilton, but now I'm questioning whether I want to make the drive, buy tickets, etc.....I think maybe I'll just watch it on tv at the cabin, so I can shut it off, if it's a **** show.

I don't know what the problem is, or how you fix it, but something has to be done to fix the core of the problem....when even the most diehard among us are giving up....that's a really serious problem.

That's the big issue facing the club right now. Fairweather fans will come and go, but once you start losing the diehards it's awfully tough to rebound from. With a brand new stadium built this was a glorious opportunity to usher in a new era of Bomber football and create the next generation of diehard Bomber fans (like my sons) but it has fallen flat on it's face out of the gate.

We as fans have put up with an awful lot of mismanagement and poor product over the recent years and it's unfair to expect my boys to put up with the same garbage. My son left the game yesterday with his fandom intact but I fear that the perpetual losing of this club will wane his interest with all the options kids have these days to spend their time. I wax nostalgic to him of all the fun I had as a kid driving in from an hour south of the city, listening to Knuckles with my family on the pre and post game show. Watching Blink, Khari, Milt, Mike Sellers etc. put up points at ease and Doug Brown plugging the middle up preventing these backbreaking 20 yard runs we have seen far too often lately.

What does his generation have to boast about so far?

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think most would agree I'm one of the most positive on this board...one of the last to ever criticize the team or jump on any one player or coach. But I'm just done right now...emotionally exhausted. I can't keep watching all the losing. I'm an Oilers fan and a Bombers fan....it's just too much, year in and year out.

I'm coming home in a week and we'd planned on coming in from Victoria Beach (where we spend most of our holidays) to go to the game on the Wednesday night vs Hamilton, but now I'm questioning whether I want to make the drive, buy tickets, etc.....I think maybe I'll just watch it on tv at the cabin, so I can shut it off, if it's a **** show.

Well Noeller, I'm travelling to Winnipeg to take my son to the Hamilton game so if you decide to go, let me know.  I'll be the guy in the cheap seats wearing a Bomber jersey.  Shouldn't be that many of us...

Edited by WBBFanWest

1 hour ago, BlueGoldBozo said:

Too soon 2 weeks yet

1 hour ago, Captain Blue said:

Would have been leaked by now. My guess would be that it'll be that Matt Nichols is the starter.

Past 10:30 and mos is still a coach. That doesn't mean a decision hasn't been made respecting his current employment. Conceivably the decision has been made and it's now about timing. Do they throw him out of the plane heading back from Edmonton? That is a bit draconian but appealing. Do they let Austin give him a clinc on August 3, and he decides on his own that he has to leave, to save face? That would be a first. However a stuck pig always gets to squeal for mercy. The two more game scenario before being axed sounds about right. Doesn't matter now how Nichols performs, it's way too little, way too late for the humble coach. 

Edited by Rod Black

He probably gets one more game because it's an away game. 

Fire him after that blowout to try and get the fans excited for something before the next home game. 

Dont want to waste that opportunity for the fans to see the new coach lose on tv. 

However, either way, not sure the fans will be back.  They won't get any more mulligans until they can put a winning team on the field. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I'm done with going to Bomber games.

Pretty epic rant Mike (no need to quote the whole)... and I appreciate it because it perfectly exemplifies how I, and apparently most others on the board, feel about the team right now... last night I said to my friend "IF we fire O'Shea, name LaPo interim coach, then name him HC after the season, I'm giving up my season tickets... even a few years ago, I never thought I would ever consider not going to games... 

Mike, I'm a few years older than you but we're essentially in the same boat... I was alive for the last two Bomber Grey Cup wins, but not old enough to remember them... Almost none of my friends are fans anymore, no one cares to watch this team.... I have season tix with 2 other guys and when one guy can't come I have to basically beg someone to join for a free game... it's gotten to a point beyond apathy and it's gonna take something (it kills me to say this) Rider-esque* to show me the team is serious about winning and gain my financial support back...

*shelling out big cash to bring in proven winners...

I was firmly on the side of not firing MOS until year end but the more I watch, the more I'm fine with him getting the axe sooner rather than later.

Even if the season is a write off, canning him now at least sends the message to the players that nobody's job is safe so they better bust their asses if they want to stay employed.

For me, O'Shea and Walters go hand in hand.  Get rid of one, get rid of the other.  If you're going to do it mid season, do it soon so we can try and salvage what's left.

I know a lot of people won't like this idea because of what happened in Montreal (although I think he was used as a scape goat), but bring in Higgins for the rest of the year and see if he can turn things around.  At least he's had winning seasons in the past.  Plus, he's the only person I can think of that might be available to bring in mid-season.

Edited by Logan007

Firing the GM during the mid season is all but pointless.  Better to do that during the off season when the pool of potential candidates is greatest.  Firing O'Shea now will be ok, but only if it's made very clear that either LaPolice or Hall (assuming they go that way) is an interim HC only and that a search for a new HC will take place at the end of the season.  Of course, if Wade Miller gets involved in the hiring process, do not be surprised if the very best candidate in all the CFL just happens to be someone who's already in the building, cause Wade is all about the hunt...

Edited by WBBFanWest

For the love of God, no LaPolice, but I need to qualify that. We don't know how much freedom LaPo has in setting the personnel on the field, but we do know that O'Shea has been determining that Willy is the starter. If O'Shea has been calling the offensive shots, then LaPolice may be a decent interim head coach.

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

For the love of God, no LaPolice, but I need to qualify that. We don't know how much freedom LaPo has in setting the personnel on the field, but we do know that O'Shea has been determining that Willy is the starter. If O'Shea has been calling the offensive shots, then LaPolice may be a decent interim head coach.

As much as I don't want Lapo, even as interim...to be fair to him, he was fired after we had 7 of our main starters injured.  I mean, he went 10-8 the year before.  It's unusual for someone to just fluke a good season.

And it sounds to me, if he's not allowed to choose the QB, his hands may be tied elsewhere as well.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I am sorry to hear that they have murdered your faith. I really am. Though you have annoyed me to no end some days with that faith I do not like to see it so ruthlessly slaughtered.

I also have to strongly agree with your comment about not knowing what the problem is or how to fix it. I believe I have said as much in the last few years. There IS SOMETHING rotten in the core of this franchise and it goes much deeper than what is on the field, who the GM or coaches are. We have had a wealth of talented coaches and players through this franchise but mostly it has just sucked the chrome off the trailer hitch. How is that possible? Several teams have gone through their periods of suck and pulled out of it, some a few times in that 26 years. However, Winnipeg hasn't. That speaks volumes to me.

They need an independent party to come in and try and figure out where the rot is because this team is dying a slow and incredibly painful death. When the light goes out there may be few who care.

Edited by Dragon37
fixed grammar/spelling

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

As much as I don't want Lapo, even as interim...to be fair to him, he was fired after we had 7 of our main starters injured.  I mean, he went 10-8 the year before.  It's unusual for someone to just fluke a good season.

And it sounds to me, if he's not allowed to choose the QB, his hands may be tied elsewhere as well.

Lapolice was fired because he was coaching not to get blown out rather than coaching to win. That 10-8 record is attributed to a defense that played with aggression and swagger that forced a lot of turnovers and dragged a passive head coach along for the win. Lapo is a  great coach if you only want to lose by a little bit, but he doesn't have the balls to win those tight games. Nothing has changed with him, we still see that passive guy as the offensive coordinator. 

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm done with going to Bomber games.

I'm not done watching the team. I'm done making the 40 minute drive and 20 minute walk to the stadium to subject myself to the product that we're being given. I'm still going to watch religiously every single game, but I want the ability to turn this garbage off with the push of a button instead of having to travel another hour back home.

We absolutely ****ing suck. I'm sure it's a combination of things and I'm sure the blame isn't on any singular person, but this team just lacks any entertainment value whatsoever. I'm 26 years old now, I've had season tickets since 1999, when I was 9 years old and I used to have so much team spirit that I would save up birthday and Christmas money to buy my own so I could go with my dad. I didn't want my parents to buy my tickets, because I wanted to support the team myself. Sure, it was all their money anyways but that was the pride I had in being a Bomber fan, I thought at 9 years old that I could proudly support them MYSELF.

I never used to miss a game for anything. I've missed birthdays. Weddings. Parties. I've gotten in fights with girlfriends because I wanted to watch a Bomber game on TV instead of going out to a BBQ or some kind of other social function. I missed half of my high school graduation to listen to preseason football on the radio. I've driven to Calgary, Edmonton and Regina to watch games, despite it taking all the way until last year to ever see a road win. Two years ago, I went to Los Angeles during Bomber season and they were playing Hamilton (the game where McDuffie returned a TD on us) and I missed watching half of a Dodger game because I stayed in their team store until the end of the Bomber game because that was the only place in the stadium I could get consistent wifi. There are literally no ends to what I've done to expose myself to as much Bomber football as I possibly can and I really just don't give a **** anymore.

I'm tired of Mike O'Shea and his "I don't know what's going on" attitude. His post game interview last night was depressing and apparently his halftime interview with Sara Orlesky was even worse. I'm tired of no answers for anything. I'm tired of trying the same **** over and over again and expecting it to worth the 17th time when it didn't work the first 16. I'm tired of watching teams run the same plays we do for 15, 20, 30 yards when we can barely run them for 2. We've seen 7 wins in 30 tries at Investors Group Field and it's ****ing pathetic. If it's not the QB, it's the defense. If it's not the defense, it's the playcalling. If it's not the playcalling, the kicker misses. If the kicker doesn't miss, it's the QB. Whatever it is, we never put it together and I'm just so defeated watching this unentertaining product. Even 5-6 years ago, we weren't very good but we could see progress. Now? Nothing. I was talking with my dad at the last game and we were trying to recall all the good memories we've had of watching the team play at IGF. My fondest ****ing memory is the game where Jason Boltus somehow managed to throw a pass backwards and I laughed at how pathetic we were. That's the only positive memory I have of IGF. Some "so bad it's funny" bull**** that only the Bombers could pull off. That's not how I want to remember Bomber football. At Canad Inns? I remember the TD record. I remember Khari Jones instilling confidence in a fanbase that knew even if we were down going into the fourth quarter, we sure as **** had a chance to win - a good chance. I remember the Stegall 4 catch, 4 TD game. I remember the Thanksgiving comeback. I remember Swaggerville coming up into Section S to celebrate with the fans after a Eastern Final win against Hamilton when Chris Garrett ran over, around and by everything near him in the snow. Remember watching football in the snow? Not at IGF, because our lockers are cleaned out by then.

Remember when we fired Doug Berry because making the playoffs 3 years in a row but not winning a Grey Cup was unacceptable? Can you imagine making the playoffs 3 years in a row now? I'd kill for it. I can't remember the last time I actually had to pay for my playoff ticket because it's been carried over from the previous year for what? I dunno, 5 years now? Another 5 before that? Who even knows at this point. All I know is I can't subject myself to this garbage anymore. I just laugh. What else am I supposed to do? Getting mad doesn't do anything. It's not worth investing the effort. The team sure doesn't. All I know is I've gone from a fan who would've missed my mom's birthday to listen to a Bomber radio broadcast through a broken walkie talkie to a fan who literally would rather stay at home so he can go pull weeds after we get run outta the building in the first quarter. We ****ing stink. And I can't be bothered to care anymore.

baby-crying-450.jpg

I never would of pegged Mike for being a crying baby about the Blue and Gold?  

Has the world turned upside down?  For years I've been complaining about how **** the product has been on the field and Mike has always been one of the few who disagreed and vilified my comments for being to negative.

In all seriousness though.... I've joked around last season and more this season that I watch the games in fast forward off the PVR...  it's completely true.  I usually fast forward into the 2nd quarter to see if they are down by 14 + points... if they are down then I look at the box score usually to see them lose the game. 

Mike ... wait until you are a bit older and if you decide to have kids and when your free time is severely limited.   I only have so many free nights or time to myself without a newborn and toddler responsibilities... it makes it very hard for me to justify spending that free time getting angry at the tv.    I've watched more complete CFL games with other teams in the last few years then I have of the Blue and Gold.... it's much more entertaining to watch.....

8 hours ago, Mike said:

That's not what you did at all and we both know it. You pledged your loyalty to another team, which is probably the worst thing a fan can claim to do in my mind. That's fake fan BS and that's why you get "vilified".

Oh really? Well you just did the same thing didn't you? Pot calling kettle - Pot calling Kettle - helloooooooo Kettle

edit - and just to add Mike - I've said, and never made any bones about it, and never have, that I'm a C - F - L fan first. I support the CFL no matter where I am. If I were to move to Vancouver tomorrow, I'd be a Lions season ticket holder. If I moved back to Wpg - Yep I'd buy Bomber Season Tickets. So don't you dare get all 'high and mighty' with me. You pretty much just said what I said last year - only it took you a bit longer to reach your breaking point.

Know what finally turned me? Eskimo fans, they used to jab me and mock me when I was wearing my blue and gold while at Eskimo games (Bombers playing or not). I loved it, I gave it right back. Last year, they were genuinely 'feeling sorry' for me. Feeling sorry? Really? When the Esks pounded on them here at Commonwealth, I didn't even have the dignity of being razzed (It's all part of the fun IMO). Now that is embarrassing, the ultimate insult. This doesn't mean I wish the bombers any ill will at all. In fact I still cheer for them (so what - I can do whatever I want) 'cept when they play the Eskimos'

And as an FYI - I'm really enjoying the season so far this year - though not the bombers side of it but at least I have one team that is doing something - makes the CFL fun. So sue me. 

Edited by KptKrunch