Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?

Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?

• Yes
    • No

No it seems like the Bombers are content on being mediocre this season. No sense of urgency from O'shea to Walters to Miller. Anything less then a playoff birth from the bombers should be the kiss of death but I feel like another 5-13 year will be acceptable. But don't worry. Next year will be different. *sarcasm

If we don't look like a playoff contender late season, O'Shea can start packing his bags..We've given him enough time to put a winner together (AND BY WINNER I MEAN AT LEAST A PLAY-OFF SPOT) and IF that doesn't transpire....adios Mike O by seasons end....Bomber management will be perusing the names for head coach for 2017 at that time...O'Shea still has time to turn things around.... BUT right now it ain't looking too good.

I think it would take 1-9 or 1-10 (whatever losing labour day and banjo bowl would put us at) before a mid-season firing happens...

As far as firing at the end of last season... I wonder if there is a serious lack of good candidates right now... we held on to O'Shea when he (arguably) could have been fired... Mtl and BC decided to stick with Popp and Buano rather than bring in a dedicated HC... interesting...

If I recall, MOS contract is up this year. He will not be renewed after another losing season. Fired during season? no

plus, we'll need time to "look at the film"

In 2011 BC started 0-5 and went on to Win GC. What if Wally was fired after 0-5 start that year. Not comparing MOS to Buono....at least not yet.

Wait a minute, if they had fired Buono, would he be our head coach now?

Edited by SteMar_67

There is also a big difference in the phrasing of the question.  

"Does" means you should answer in terms of what you believe Kyle Walters and Wade Miller will do.

"Should" means you should answer in terms of what you think the team should do.

8 minutes ago, do or die said:

Hear what you are saying....but, playing out the string with a lame duck coach, (one more time) does has some drawbacks from the ole fan perspective...

team is still going to lose games with a different coach which is the real reason fans lose interest. The #1 reason I don't want to see a midseason firing is I don't want them to have the easy way out of just sticking with whichever interim guy they hire. Hall and Lapo are both too passive for my liking as head coaches. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

team is still going to lose games with a different coach which is the real reason fans lose interest. The #1 reason I don't want to see a midseason firing is I don't want them to have the easy way out of just sticking with whichever interim guy they hire. Hall and Lapo are both too passive for my liking as head coaches. 

Exactly, this past time we went with a rookie CEO, rookie Gm and a rookie HC. They have a plan and need to stay the course, but If this doesn't work out, we don't need any knee jerk reactions to fill holes.

Next time, we need experienced GM and HC with proven winning track record. If there are none available, we're just continuing the poor decision cycle.

The midseason firings rarely do anything positive really.  That said, if we go something ridiculous and are say 1-10...I don't think Wade &/or Kyle would have any other choice but to act and fire Oshea.  I'd rather we wait until the season is over to avoid what 17to85 posted about the interim HC getting the HC next year by default.  Which is a huge mistake IMO.

The old fatalist 'lets do nothing cuz it won't get any better anyway' argument, read in your best Eeyore voice. Might as well call it what it is the 'lets keep my guy around cuz I like him' argument.

Three things can happen if we fire O'Shea, better, worse, or about the same. The highest probability IMO is about the same, but management will have to do something to try and win back the fans if we go 1-6 and they can't fire the whole team so firing the HC as good as gets. No... that doesn't mean we have to keep the Interim coach or the GM or even the CEO for that matter. It means we should have seen this coming last year, but we did't.

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The old fatalist 'lets do nothing cuz it won't get any better anyway' argument, read in your best Eeyore voice. Might as well call it what it is the 'lets keep my guy around cuz I like him' argument.

Three things can happen if we fire O'Shea, better, worse, or about the same. The highest probability IMO is about the same, but management will have to do something to try and win back the fans if we go 1-6 and they can't fire the whole team so firing the HC as good as gets. No... that doesn't mean we have to keep the Interim coach or the GM or even the CEO for that matter. It means we should have seen this coming last year, but we did't.

Do you really honestly think that a midseason firing would get more out of this team? Would be the same coordinators (minuss special teams coordinator of course) It's the same players, what's really going to change? You might see the dead cat bounce but then the GM can just pat himself on the back and go "see I knew my players were fine, I just had the wrong coach, problem solved, here you go Lapo, be the head coach of this team again" How does that help us next season? If the season is going to be a write off already why not just wait until the appropriate time to fire people? Would be the first time in a long time they actually did that. 

I hope they can turn this thing around and start getting W's - then the question will be moot.

Barring that, I hope we at least wait until Labour Day to assess and possibly make changes.  I'm no fan of coaching/GM changes mid-season, but if the record doesn't improve, do we have a choice? 

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Do you really honestly think that a midseason firing would get more out of this team? Would be the same coordinators (minuss special teams coordinator of course) It's the same players, what's really going to change? You might see the dead cat bounce but then the GM can just pat himself on the back and go "see I knew my players were fine, I just had the wrong coach, problem solved, here you go Lapo, be the head coach of this team again" How does that help us next season? If the season is going to be a write off already why not just wait until the appropriate time to fire people? Would be the first time in a long time they actually did that. 

If you actually read what I typed, you'll see that I expect that things would stay pretty much the same over the end of the season but they need to sell hope which they can't do with Mike 'win every 3rd game' O'Shea. As I've said before, if the GM even suggests keeping the interim HC on, he should be fired too.

The appropriate time to fire O'Shea was at the end of last year, but they decided to ignore CFL history and keep him on even tho most HCs don't get 3rd year out of the playoffs and the couple who did never amounted to anything. There's no reason to keep him on for the rest of the year unless he manages to turn it around RFN. Sometimes the Devil you don't know is better than the Devil you do.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If you actually read what I typed, you'll see that I expect that things would stay pretty much the same over the end of the season but they need to sell hope which they can't do with Mike 'win every 3rd game' O'Shea. As I've said before, if the GM even suggests keeping the interim HC on, he should be fired too.

The appropriate time to fire O'Shea was at the end of last year, but they decided to ignore CFL history and keep him on even tho most HCs don't get 3rd year out of the playoffs and the couple who did never amounted to anything. There's no reason to keep him on for the rest of the year unless he manages to turn it around RFN. Sometimes the Devil you don't know is better than the Devil you do.

but you're not going to sell hope by firing a coach. Is anyone going to go to more games just because they fire the coach? It's wins and losses and how good a team looks in games that sell tickets. None of that is going to change simply by firing a coach. 

I've been banging this drum for more than 10 years but firing a coach midseason only wastes 2 seasons. The current one and the next one. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

but you're not going to sell hope by firing a coach. Is anyone going to go to more games just because they fire the coach? It's wins and losses and how good a team looks in games that sell tickets. None of that is going to change simply by firing a coach. 

I've been banging this drum for more than 10 years but firing a coach midseason only wastes 2 seasons. The current one and the next one. 

I guess you've been wrong for 10 years then. ;)

Moving on from a bad coach, and that's what O'Shea is, can make a big difference. It can make players worry about their jobs that gets them out of their comfort zone and maybe makes them play better. Players may have 'tuned out' the old coach and may not be able to 'tune out' the new one. The new coach may pull the QB when he's not being effective. He may call the game more aggressively. He may demand changes from the coordinators to match his philosophy. He may sit players who aren't pulling their weight. He may change the way practices are run. He may want to bring in his kind of players from the NFL cuts. He may take the gags off of the players when they talk with the media. 

Keeping a losing coach just because you made the wrong decision to keep him at the end of last year doesn't do anyone any good and you only lose 2 seasons if you gift the new HC the next season AND he doesn't do any better than the fired one.

This thread has morphed into something I didn't quite want, another fire MOS thread. Was a simple question. But I am genuinely surprised to see people taking the position you can't or shouldn't fire MOS no matter what before the season ends. 1-6 should invite the conversation about his firing. 1-8 should, in a reasonable world, mean he gets fired. I can't see a justification for him being kept around in a 2 or 3 and 10 start either. 

Obviously we aren't there yet and thats all premature but if you make a blanket statement like "MOS isn't getting fired this year" or "shouldn't" then your kind of exposing yourself to that hypothetical.