Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

More transactions for the Riders.

Which makes me ask the question...

I heard the riders are going to have a healthy stack of money to sign players for next year. I also know that the Riders were close in many games this year. But, if you put those two facts together, it makes me wonder why Jones couldn't have paid a couple of players the money that might have pushed them over the top, and kept the fans more engaged..
Chick, Dressler, and a couple more vets, maybe get them closer?

Would the CFL West division have been even tighter if Jones had followed a more even approach to building a roster?

I have to wonder if he didn't outthink himself...

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

More transactions for the Riders.

Which makes me ask the question...

I heard the riders are going to have a healthy stack of money to sign players for next year. I also know that the Riders were close in many games this year. But, if you put those two facts together, it makes me wonder why Jones couldn't have paid a couple of players the money that might have pushed them over the top, and kept the fans more engaged..
Chick, Dressler, and a couple more vets, maybe get them closer?

Would the CFL West division have been even tighter if Jones had followed a more even approach to building a roster?

I have to wonder if he didn't outthink himself...

I think people don't realize how many key injuries the riders had to starting players this year. That's why they were able to have some extra money left over. It will be nice though when we can sign a few more players next year. However, free agency didn't go well with us this year.

6 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

I think people don't realize how many key injuries the riders had to starting players this year. That's why they were able to have some extra money left over. It will be nice though when we can sign a few more players next year. However, free agency didn't go well with us this year.

Yes, there were injuries..lots of injuries. But it doesn't change the premise of what I was saying. All teams suffer injuries, but the deeper depth of veteran players helps alleviate that. There's a balance, and the Riders didn't have that.

Anyone have an idea how the Riders can break the CFL record for going through the most players in one season and not violate the salary cap?  Sure a lot of them were only paid for a game or two but when you burn through 120 plus signings in a year, little by little it eats up the salary cap.  Add this to the $26,000 salary cap deduction for earlier roster violations and the financial damage done by numerous retirement after cashing signing bonus scenarios they went through, there can't be much room left.  The auditors better take their fine tooth-ed comb when they go through the greasy green bastards books this off-season.

49 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Anyone have an idea how the Riders can break the CFL record for going through the most players in one season and not violate the salary cap?  Sure a lot of them were only paid for a game or two but when you burn through 120 plus signings in a year, little by little it eats up the salary cap.  Add this to the $26,000 salary cap deduction for earlier roster violations and the financial damage done by numerous retirement after cashing signing bonus scenarios they went through, there can't be much room left.  The auditors better take their fine tooth-ed comb when they go through the greasy green bastards books this off-season.

It's already been said several times by credible sources that the Riders are currently the top of the league in respect to financial security this year. they'll be well below the salary cap.

3 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

It's already been said several times by credible sources that the Riders are currently the top of the league in respect to financial security this year. they'll be well below the salary cap.

The problem is though, you can't always believe everything you read on the internet.  For example, I recall reading someone who was so sure that there was no possible way that the Riders could lose to Montreal.  

10 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

The problem is though, you can't always believe everything you read on the internet.  For example, I recall reading someone who was so sure that there was no possible way that the Riders could lose to Montreal.  

But they didn't lose you see. They won because it means that they may finish lower than Montreal and secure a better draft pick. Rider math.

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Can we draw the conclusion that there is an issue with the plays Winnipeg runs if they have 2 different guys that high on the list? Both guys seem to catch a lot of passes and then get smoked. 

lol No.

Considering one guy on that list is our CND rec who will never ever be a yac contributor and the other is someone who is our clutch rec/TD machine. Hard to get yac yards when your catching passes in the endzone. or two yards away from it.

I like Derek Taylor's statistics, but this statistical category carries no weight. I've never considered Kohlert to be a yac-yard guy. I want him to be where he's supposed to be, and make that catch. 

As for Denmark, yes, Tds do restrict his count, but give him open space and he does fine. He makes tough catches, often in close quarters...same as Tasker. And some of the catches Cunningham makes are ridiculous.

No use following this stat category...it gets no yardage in my books.

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I like Derek Taylor's statistics, but this statistical category carries no weight. I've never considered Kohlert to be a yac-yard guy. I want him to be where he's supposed to be, and make that catch. 

As for Denmark, yes, Tds do restrict his count, but give him open space and he does fine. He makes tough catches, often in close quarters...same as Tasker. And some of the catches Cunningham makes are ridiculous.

I completely understand what you're saying.

I would add, it depends a lot on who's throwing to you. Nicholls (great guy, great guy) has struggled to hit receivers on the run at times. So, if a receiver is forced to come back or wait for a pass, it could affect YAC.

I can also see where this statistic can be important, with the given limitations. A team like the Bombers, who often throw short and rely on the receivers to make first downs with their legs, would see some value in this statistic.

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

If you watch Denmark for long enough, you realize he tries to avoid gang tackling situations as much as possible.  Going up for a high throw over the middle just isn't his style.  He either goes down on first contact or he angles for the sidelines to avoid a serious smack-down.  Last game he had one guy to beat for a sure TD and instead of heading towards the middle of the field and fighting through the tackle, he angles for the sidelines and gets ushered out of bounds.  Call it self-preservation or whatever but this has allowed him to stay healthy throughout his career and contribute game after game as a reliable target. 

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If you watch Denmark for long enough, you realize he tries to avoid gang tackling situations as much as possible.  Going up for a high throw over the middle just isn't his style.  He either goes down on first contact or he angles for the sidelines to avoid a serious smack-down.  Last game he had one guy to beat for a sure TD and instead of heading towards the middle of the field and fighting through the tackle, he angles for the sidelines and gets ushered out of bounds.  Call it self-preservation or whatever but this has allowed him to stay healthy throughout his career and contribute game after game as a reliable target. 

Self preservation and no fumbles!