Cuts and Keepers

Nolby

6 hours ago, JCon said:

I'm going to love see Corney coming in behind Westerman. They're going to wear out the hogs on the other side. Just keep going at them and going at them. By the fourth quarter, we should be getting to the QB regularly.

(That's how I see it in my head, at least.)

Listening to Walters' interview with Lawless yesterday and he sees Corney doing plenty of platooning this season. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

I cannot remember a time when we saw our draft picks, plus, get in a game and get noticed, in a good way.

Corney on D, nice sacks and stuffing the line. 

Couture filling in on the O-Line.

Loffler, looking like a safety.

Butcher, slicing up the D.

Intzandt getting some 'real' reps.

Even John Rush got some action.

Nice to see..

The new class is going to push some of the old class right out the door.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Anderson is certainly smaller, but that isnt a big issue to me. 1) weve seen high usage durable small backs in this league before. Its not nearly as big an issue as in the nfl. Lbers are a ton bigger then Dbs and Des are only a bit bigger on average then LBers. A side from the odd miracle worker all rbs need a hole. If the OL gets gaps eliminated unless you have an off tackle play called its making the best of a bad situation. 

If any thing the type of runner anderson is he has more of a chance then flanders if no hole is available. Hes shown the ability to scrape the line and find the edge, cut back in a small window and make people miss. Flanders is bigger, but he will still only push through bad angle arm tackles. He took advantage of good gaps and basically ran to defenders. He isnt a tackle breaker, he doesnt seem to have the ability to move a pile even small groups of LBers. Anderson's ability to be a threat returning kicks, and being a change of pace from harris is a great fit for us. If it was for a no1 rb, id say split carrys feature flanders and let anderson be the change of pace back again. His skill set is just really well set up for that. But luckily we have harris to start. 

A low potential grinder of a rb flanders doesnt seem to do any thing poorly. But he doesnt do any thing great either. Hes the kind of guy thatll run for 4 or 5 yards with a decent push from the Ol with high regularity. Not a bad fit at all for the cfl, but a guy like that needs a lot of touches to be effective. 

Main complaint with smaller scat backs is getting wrapped up in the backfield which leads to 2 and outs far too often.  I'll take a "low potential grinder" like Curtis Steele who can get 4-5 yards on almost every carry over the occasional flash any day.  Hopefully the O-line can make the holes this year so that will not be an issue.

Round two goes next Monday, there will be blood.  Don't miss it sports fans!

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Main complaint with smaller scat backs is getting wrapped up in the backfield which leads to 2 and outs far too often.  I'll take a "low potential grinder" like Curtis Steele who can get 4-5 yards on almost every carry over the occasional flash any day.  Hopefully the O-line can make the holes this year so that will not be an issue.

Round two goes next Monday, there will be blood.  Don't miss it sports fans!

Thats a drastically out dated notion. There is a reason why we didnt use mike sellers running short yardage and used blink instead. Ive got much love for tackle breaking, pile pushing power backs, but flanders isnt one. Messam, ranek those guys are few and far between up here. What im saying is flanders is the kind of guy who will run for a steady 5 yards when a back like anderson would run for 7+. 

I heard Addison Richards' name last night. That's progress, right?

Seriously though, great game. Looking forward to seeing them against some stronger competition. Still, it looks like we finally have some depth. It will be nice to be able to breathe while the starters are getting some rest. Also, isn't it nice to feel confident in your kicker?

Richards dropped an easy one and also made a catch.

The Williams td was both a solid pass and reception.

I was happy to see that the newer qbs have arms and can zing it. Also mobile.

The new Canadians looked like they belong.

McDuffie made one bad play but also made several real good plays.

What impressed me the most was the low penalties we had and the team seemed organized and not confused 

17 minutes ago, ediger said:

I heard Addison Richards' name last night. That's progress, right?

Seriously though, great game. Looking forward to seeing them against some stronger competition. Still, it looks like we finally have some depth. It will be nice to be able to breathe while the starters are getting some rest. Also, isn't it nice to feel confident in your kicker?

richards all in all didnt look bad. Had some flashes. Small sigh of relief hope fully he can keep it up and progress into a factor.

14 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Richards dropped an easy one and also made a catch.

The Williams td was both a solid pass and reception.

I was happy to see that the newer qbs have arms and can zing it. Also mobile.

The new Canadians looked like they belong.

McDuffie made one bad play but also made several real good plays.

What impressed me the most was the low penalties we had and the team seemed organized and not confused 

Good post.

One minor correction - Richards had 2 catches.

10 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

The third strings may have been playing against lesser comp but usually our 3rd stringers are getting rolled over on. 

Yep - as I mentioned in the Odds and Sods thread - Burkes' last year here we scored a whopping 3 points in two game, and that was mostly against players who were cut anyway. We were atrocious, a joke, an embarrasment and it carried over into the season.

This season looks really good for the Bombers. Cuts will be tough because we have so many players making so many good plays, and it's not even the starters (whom I'm not worried about - they know their status and are just working out kinks, they have nothing to prove).

I think this is going to be a huge year for the big blue - one game in I know - and lots of things can happen (injuries) but I like what I saw last night. 

10 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

the year still depends on the health of Drew Willy.  Matt Nichols just doesn't have what it takes to be a starter.

People would have said the same thin of kerwin bell his last year here. :P He did pretty good in a brutal offense last year. That said Its dang hard to imagine us being better then if willy is healthy and his old self. I hope he's just shaking off rust, he hasnt looked as sharp as usual. But a new system running vanilla plays and lots of changes will add to that too. And no dressler. 

14 hours ago, KptKrunch said:

Yep - as I mentioned in the Odds and Sods thread - Burkes' last year here we scored a whopping 3 points in two game, and that was mostly against players who were cut anyway. We were atrocious, a joke, an embarrasment and it carried over into the season.

This season looks really good for the Bombers. Cuts will be tough because we have so many players making so many good plays, and it's not even the starters (whom I'm not worried about - they know their status and are just working out kinks, they have nothing to prove).

I think this is going to be a huge year for the big blue - one game in I know - and lots of things can happen (injuries) but I like what I saw last night. 

you think we're going to let you back on the bandwagon though? You disowned the team and went to the esks so pardon my bluntness, but **** you, you're not a Bomber fan anymore. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Fwiw, I feel the same way about Iso...

i feel the same about both of them. For what it's worth I've been in Edmonton 7.5 years now. I own 0 pieces of Eskimos gear. Last year as bad as the team was I went to Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa to watch them play. This year the Vancouver bombers trip will be on again, not sure about others.

If anything, my love for all things Manitoba grows larger with every passing year that I'm in Alberta. Being around Calgary sports fans just makes me an even bigger Bombers fan. I consider myself an Oilers fan, too, but that's been a thing since Gretzky, and it's amped up now that I live around Flames fans, who just make me ill. They're basically Riders fans.....a gross society unto itself.