Odds and Sods - XGame 1 - Montreal at Winnipeg

Bob Irving was talking about the "nice crowd"

......not sure what he was looking at, there..

Bomber unis looked like winners, from the get go...

A. Harris first carry....7 yds and a round of applause...

Medlock's first FG attempt good from 48....more applause..

Westerman's motor still going......and going....

Beautiful TD run on screen by Harris.....

...called back on penalty to Smith..

S. J. Green still gives us problems....

Glenn completed a lot of throws in his stint.....

....as in short, quick release, timing pattern stuff....

At this rate.....Green may catch 120 balls this year.....

Bruce johnson having a busy evening....good and bad....

Too many missed tackles and Als YAC....in first half...

Bombers try WR screens and reverses......

....but blocking on those....still not a Bomber specialty....

Couple of nice punts from Medlock.....

....and one brutal looking shank job....

Jeff Keeping goes down, .... not looking too good....

Tim Flanders getting a lot of work at RB....

....and making the most of it....100 or so total yds...

Glenn leaves....along with the Montreal O.....for the evening..

Dom Davis...pretty good looking athlete at QB.....

....needs to work on pocket presence.....

Castillo the Captain tonight..... 4-5 on long FGs 

None of the Blue kick returners made a move tonight....

...at least, not fumbling and stumbling like Montreal's...

...although at R ..McDuffie made some things happen....

...till he let a pass go right through his hands for goal line INT

Corney has some pretty good speed on the edge, at DE......

Refereeing was in mid-season form......

...as far as the ole ticky tack interference calls......

QB Bennett had a play action TD run.....

....and a TD pass to Fred Williams in limited snaps....

Some pretty good pass rush on the Als second liners...

...from a lot of different guys in front 7 D.....

Tony Burnett got a lot of snaps at LB...

Appears to be more overall team speed in this years edition.....

Appears to be some more Canadian depth, this year....

The first game...especially the 2nd half... is always a grab bag....

This could be the start of a new era....

..or simply the start of a new gin bottle.....

...will get to the bottom of it, either way.....

6 hours ago, do or die said:

Glenn completed a lot of throws in his stint.....

....as in short, quick release, timing pattern stuff....

I thought the Lapo O was supposed to look more like this.  It seemed maybe 20% to 25% more "get the ball out quick" than last year. 
First pre-season game I admit but if it's going to be there later shouldn't they be working on it more now?

And I have to mention Cato's down field blocking....  He must watch a lot of soccer.  And Duron Carter's attitude has improved?  I hate to think what it was like before.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

They didn't show Duron Carter with his mouth shut all night, he just went on and on yapping at anyone in his vicinity. All the talent but so annoying. 

But Carter is good enough that he can get away with all that mouthing off. Besides, he's really just a rookie still and has some growing up to do.

Live..at the game. Good to be in the stadium once again!

1st team against 1st team - must say Glenn looked pretty sharp and their specific play calling got a few receivers wide open. We ran, at first, a pretty Bellefeuille kind of offense and I thought we went deep too much to start. Drew Willy neither looked here nor there, but he did survive his first hit. 1st quarter belonged to Montreal because they moved the ball better.
Once the subs starting coming in, the bombers took over. 13-3 Montreal - with 1st teams - the rest of the game? 33-0 bombers.
Simply put, our backups crushed their backups.
Led by the 3rd and 4th string QBs, the bombers steadily moved the ball and made watching the game a pleasure. Davis and Bennett got a good feel for playing a CFL game following a game plan that gave them alternate times to go in and show what could do. And show they did. Playing against second stringers was easier, no doubt, but it was good practice in live action. Brian who? Marve who?

Major announcement - we now have a running attack. Harris, Anderson and Flanders. When Anderson came in, it seemed to be a perfect complement to Harris. Anderson with his darting and cutting. But make no mistake, for the remaining time in the game, and all of the 4th quarter, it was Flanders field. He made it real tough to ignore giving him a spot somewhere with the bombers.

Play of the game - screen play to Harris. It had all the right ingredients for a great play - except for the penalty.
Play of the game, part 2 - that lovely loft pass by Bennett to Williams that resulted in a TD. Pass - very good, reception better. We don't always see plays like that.

Individually speaking -

Castillo - just when you think he's going (missed his 1st attempt) he strikes for 4 non-too-easy FGs
Adrian Hubbard - the DE opposite Westerman? Could be..
Trent Corney - not a bad start for a rookie. He's going to be exciting.
Tony Burnett - was all over the field
Ryan Smith - going to be a good one for us.
McDuffie - exciting and quick
Addison Richards is real.
Ian Wild - what can I say? He flies all over the field and never seems to give up on a play.
Vertung? Don't know if he did enough.
Hardrick - can't say too much on his actual play, but he's a teamer! Lots of animation and energy!
Teague Sherman - was involved, in a good way.
Khalil Bass - thank goodness.
Westerman - guy doesn't quit.

At first glance - 
Bomber O-line had its moments, specifically staying relevant when Keeping went down, and with the subs playing, including Intzandt.
The players who had spot duty, such as Waggoner, Butcher, Loffler and such, represented themselves well. 
Plug and play never looked so good.

I'm still seething over our last pathetic pre season showing the last year Burke was coached - 3 points in two games and two blowout losses set the tone for the rest of the year. 

This shows what stability in both the front office and on the sidelines (HC) can do. It's only one game but we looked like a team, even the backups, and the backups to the backups, seemed to be playing with a purpose. 

The win inofitself means absolutely nothing of course - but how we play in these games does. Bombers look like they are set to make some noise this year. With all the coaching changes in the west, you'd think we'd have an advantage to start the season with. I guess we'll see.

Duane Ford kept talking about the Man Mountain Rupert Butcher.  That guy is just massive.  Loved watching him bull rush and take on two line men, forcing a hold on one play as he was so dominant.

Butcher and Bennett, my two pleasant surprises last night.

18 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Duane Ford kept talking about the Man Mountain Rupert Butcher.  That guy is just massive.  Loved watching him bull rush and take on two line men, forcing a hold on one play as he was so dominant.

Butcher and Bennett, my two pleasant surprises last night.

I could see us keeping butcher on the active roster to play the line on special teams. That push up the middle against punts n kick and putting him off tackle on the goal line set could be huge. 

10 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Looks like we have some solid depth for a change. Castillo might be a guy we have to stash out on the injured list. 

Only if he's willing. Im guessing we could carry him on the expanded roster, but I think the future is trading him to hamilton. 

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Isn't Justin Medlock black? Lol. Or maybe not but I think he is 

Absolutely Justin Medlock is black. My Raiders have a black punter, Marquette King. Can't think of too many others however