Odds and Sods - XGame 1 - Montreal at Winnipeg

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Think maybe one of the cleanest pre season games I have watched. No time count penalties, not procedure penalties, no illegal formation penalties, only a couple guys lined up off side. A real credit to the coaching staff for having them ready to go last night.

One thing I noticed (and maybe this was the Crown talking) last night was how much more confident O'Shea looks on the sidelines now with Lapo in there running the offense and being involved.  Bellfool would just stand there with his head-set on and it never looked like he was really doing much actual coaching.  Lapo was all over the place getting in the ears of the offense and showing them stuff on his Ipad.  O'Shea just looked, I don't know if this is the right word, but "relieved" in a sense.  He's finally got some veteran experience on the sidelines to help him out.  I think they will make a great team.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Absolutely Justin Medlock is black. My Raiders have a black punter, Marquette King. Can't think of too many others however

The first placekicker I can remember was Donald Igwebuike, the Nigerian-born Baltimore Stallions (nee CFLers) kicker, who started in the NFL in 1985 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Using a healthy tail-wind, he scraped a 50 yard field goal just over the bar with 2 minutes left to beat the Bombers 14-12 in the Eastern Final in 1994 to send them to the Grey Cup. And Reggie Roby was a black punter who played most of his 16 year career in Miami, starting in 1983. 3 time Pro Bowler, 2 time all-star, and made the all-decade team in the 1980's.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The first placekicker I can remember was Donald Igwebuike, the Nigerian-born Baltimore Stallions (nee CFLers) kicker, who started in the NFL in 1985 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Using a healthy tail-wind, he scraped a 50 yard field goal just over the bar with 2 minutes left to beat the Bombers 14-12 in the Eastern Final in 1994 to send them to the Grey Cup. And Reggie Roby was a black punter who played most of his 16 year career in Miami, starting in 1983. 3 time Pro Bowler, 2 time all-star, and made the all-decade team in the 1980's.

I remember him.  How could you forget a name like Igwebuike.  I was so proud of myself for being able to pronounce it back then.

So pumped at how decent Davis and Bennett looked. Sure they were playing against backups, but the rookie pivots we've rolled through here in the past didn't look like they could even execute the game plan, let alone execute it against opposition.

Liked to see them standing in the pocket, delivering balls, scrambling when needed. They looked like CFL quarterbacks.

Really curious to see how our import RBs stack up against actual CFL linebackers, Montreal was playing all backups the whole game at LB.

Kevin Glenn is Mr. June, that guy always rolls out hot when the weather's nice.  He's gonna do some damage with that stacked receiving corps that Montreal has. Hope a young QB emerges on the Alouettes, though -- gotta keep the fresh supply of young QBs coming into the league.

Edited by johnzo

34 minutes ago, johnzo said:

So pumped at how decent Davis and Bennett looked. Sure they were playing against backups, but the rookie pivots we've rolled through here in the past didn't look like they could even execute the game plan, let alone execute it against opposition.

Liked to see them standing in the pocket, delivering balls, scrambling when needed. They looked like CFL quarterbacks.

Really curious to see how our import RBs stack up against actual CFL linebackers, Montreal was playing all backups the whole game at LB.

Kevin Glenn is Mr. June, that guy always rolls out hot when the weather's nice.  He's gonna do some damage with that stacked receiving corps that Montreal has. Hope a young QB emerges on the Alouettes, though -- gotta keep the fresh supply of young QBs coming into the league.

Kevin Glenn is a CFL all star. A Winnipeg fan was sad to see him leave this city. It was great to see bobsleder Sam "mr. Physique" Giguere back with his squad. The venerable Anthony Cavillo still looks like he has few more seasons left in him. The Alouettes certainly will miss Okie bo bokie Bo Bowling. He could have been somebody. Looking forward to the Polish Prince Dave Sticky Stala coming to entertain the fans. 

Really impressed with Justin Medlocks headlock on his position with the special teams. He could have record numbers this year kicking them right down Main Street. 

Edited by Rod Black

33 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I don't think that's really true of Glenn at all, Glenn has just always been a guy that when he's on and can make quick reads and deliver the ball quickly he'll be good but when adversity hits and it gets to be tough going he wilts a bit. He also requires a team around him that can bring it because his limitation is that he can't will a team to perform better all by his lonesome. 

okay, in retrospect "Mr. June" is less praise than I intended.

It just seems like the guy is always in midseason form at the start of the season.  Look at how burning hot he was in the first month last year for Saskatchewan.  New team, new offense, new receivers, no big deal, he just slings the ball and puts up the numbers wherever he goes.

21 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

In 1964 Leo Lewis was pressed into duty and went 2 for 2 with an average FG distance of 42.5 yds :o .

But that was after our regular kicker George Fleming (also black) got injured.

Injuries ended up cutting short what appeared to be a very promising CFL career for George [Fleming].  After starring at Washington, Fleming led the Huskies to Rose Bowl victories in both 1959 and 1960.  Fleming went on to spend one year with the Oakland Raiders before joining The Toronto Argonauts in 1963.  The Argos, for whatever reasons, released Fleming and Winnipeg wasted no time in picking him up.  Fleming led he West in scoring that year with 135 point, scoring both with his foot and with his offensive talents.  Flemming's multi-talented abilities seemed perfect for the smaller roster of the CFL.  Fraser scored 9 touchdowns, three rushing on 227 yards, 5 receiving on 21 catches and 566 yards and one on a 93 yard kickoff return.  With his foot, Fleming added 15 fieldgoals in 30 attempts, 25 converts and 11 singles.  He also handled kickoffs with a quite respectable 58.8 yard average. A pelvis injury limited Fleming to just 7 games in 1964, but he still managed to tie for the Bomber team lead in scoring with 41 points.  Fleming attempted a comeback in 1965, but further injuries forced him to retire.  Following his retirement from football, Fleming went into politics, being elected first to the Washington State house of representatives and then to the state senate.

You have to navigate to get to the player's pages but this is from http://cflapedia.com/

BTW, Fleming had a very successful post football career and ended up spending 20 years as a Washington State  senator.

While in office, Fleming was an advocate for the underprivileged, a state Martin Luther King Day holiday, control of illicit drugs, improvements in the quality of education, small business and economic development, and civil rights.  He also fought to improve the quality of nursing homes for senior citizens and was an advocate of low income housing and emergency meals and shelter for the homeless.  George Fleming retired in 1990 after twenty two years of service in the state legislature.

http://www.blackpast.org/aaw/fleming-george-1937

Glenn's biggest issue is... he's a good quarterback... UNTIL he gets hit a few times then he starts to turtle early and collapse a bit. Hit him once or twice and he starts to get happy feet for sure. It's always been a knock on him, good quarterback for sure but can be easily rattled after a few hits.