Main Camp

Floyd

FWIW I'm getting tired of hearing of all these great catches where the receivers have to reach behind themselves fully extended. I'd rather hear that the QB's are placing the ball in front of the receivers so they can catch on the run. In real games, DB's will kill receivers who have to reach behind for the ball or maybe even pick it off.

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

FWIW I'm getting tired of hearing of all these great catches where the receivers have to reach behind themselves fully extended. I'd rather hear that the QB's are placing the ball in front of the receivers so they can catch on the run. In real games, DB's will kill receivers who have to reach behind for the ball or maybe even pick it off.

We've seen a lot of that in the past, Willy badly under-threw Darvin Adams in the first Q drawing an interference call.  If he would have put the ball in the vicinity of where it needed to be it would have been an easy TD.

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

We've seen a lot of that in the past, Willy badly under-threw Darvin Adams in the first Q drawing an interference call.  If he would have put the ball in the vicinity of where it needed to be it would have been an easy TD.

Smith also reached back to break up an Int by Herbert on a ball thrown behind by Willy.

18 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

On the other hand it's nice to know that we have some receivers who can make the play when things don't go exactly according to plan. Because things never go exactly according to plan in bomber land.

Really.

It's a good thing to know that we have receivers will do what they are paid to do..catch the ball, if at all possible. Do we really think QBs can make that perfect pass the majority of the time? Too many factors can interfere with that scenario. We want a QB who can deliver the football in a manner that will result in a Bomber completion. I don't care if it's underhand, overhand or slight-of-hand. 

Performance..without pressure, or under pressure, is what I like to see from my QB.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Welcome to football. No qb is ever putting the ball exactly where it needs to be all the time, you sometimes, often times, need the receiver to be able to help out. The best qbs have always had receivers that make them look better because if every throw had to be perfect there would be a lot less completions than there are in the game. 

I don't expect the QB's to be perfect. I'm just saying about 3/4's of the reported 'great catches' in this years TC have been the ball thrown behind the receiver and they've pulled them in. In our first game, Willy was 3 for 6 and he had 2 under thrown balls. One got a PI because the DB didn't look back the other was almost an INT but Smith saved him. That's too high IMO and yes... I get that it was preseason.

47 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't expect the QB's to be perfect. I'm just saying about 3/4's of the reported 'great catches' in this years TC have been the ball thrown behind the receiver and they've pulled them in. In our first game, Willy was 3 for 6 and he had 2 under thrown balls. One got a PI because the DB didn't look back the other was almost an INT but Smith saved him. That's too high IMO and yes... I get that it was preseason.

What if what they are reporting as great catches are actual throw behinds by the QB downfield. In that case, the ball was right on the money.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You do realize that the qbs have probably tossed 100s of nice normal passes in TC also .     It would be redundant if someone posted that the qb and receivers made routine pass and catches.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Ummm, a great catch happens when the receiver has to do something dramatic in order to catch it.  On the other hand, if a receiver is running down field and the QB lays it in perfectly over his shoulder, that's not a great catch, it's a great throw.  I expect receivers to make a catch in that circumstance and I'm not going to go "Oh WOW!  You see that?  He caught it while he was running!"  Unless of course, it's Brock Ralph or Incompleterson.

The professional will make the circus catch because sometimes, you have to.  That's how it's supposed to work.   

8 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Its not just a QB thing. Youd be surprised how many wrs run a 8 yard out on a 10 yard out play, how often a qb throws during a wrs break and the wr doesnt burst out of the cut etc. Short to intermediate passes over the middle should be on the numbers. Pretty much every thing else should lead the WR. If you throw to one side or the other and put it on the numbers its liable to be a pick 6. You have to put it where it cant be picked and only the wr can get it. Thats just life in the modern cfl spread offense. 

On 6/10/2016 at 0:18 PM, Noeller said:

Fwiw, Bauming said McDuffie made a ridiculous highlight-reel grab in practice today. Ball thrown behind him, had to fully twist around back to it, arm fully extended and velcro hand to haul it in. 

Not too worried about the one drop from the other night...

Would have liked to have seen him use his hands on that one instead of trying to squeeze it against his body. It was pretty crappy luck to have that thing deflect to where the defender could snag it.

On 6/10/2016 at 1:06 PM, TBURGESS said:

Smith also reached back to break up an Int by Herbert on a ball thrown behind by Willy.

That was a great play by Smith. 

9 hours ago, J5V said:

Would have liked to have seen him use his hands on that one instead of trying to squeeze it against his body. It was pretty crappy luck to have that thing deflect to where the defender could snag it.

Drives me nuts seeing guys with good hands use the body.

"The practice before the practice that leads to a lot of cuts and player movement." It's a weird situation for the Bombers already having played their 2 pre-season games and now the fate of a few players will be determined in a practice atmosphere. Difficult.

Practice - June 16 - in no particular order...

Personnel with presence at the practice, either through size alone or by animation.
E. Dieke, R Butcher, T Bond, are big, real big.
Westerman was noticeable, he's a real pro. 
Hubbard was flying around pretty good..getting involved. He and Coach O'Shea, had a little 'chat'. In that instance, I don't think the Coach was pleased. 
Too many changes on the O-Line to follow, but they always looked engaged. They were practicing stunts, and the D-line seemed to be ahead in this exercise.
It looks to me, based solely on reps, that in the QB situation, it is Willy, Nichols, Davis, and Bennett.
- Trent Corney looks like a normal human being.
- There seems to be a certain 'good' atmosphere and spirit out there on the practice field.
- Macho Harris has a presence, and likely the reason he is an employed vet. He's definitely a practice player... seemingly in the right spot, and saying the right things. Oh, and doing push-ups, here and there. Without the tackling aspect, he doesn't look bad out there. Still, I think we could do better. Must be Hall's boy.
D-Line practising moving only on the snap of the ball...by watching it.
Those guys are good...Westerman, Shologan, and Cummings - wow. Green and Hubbard were also noticeable.
Willy looks faster in practice.
Darwin Adams shagging field goals attempts.
T Sherman holding for all FGs
#14 is fast...and shifty.
Knox had his practice jersey on, but of course was just watching.
K Fogg was the only one to stop #12. Ryan Smith. 
Smith was all over the field making catches. How he was made available on FA..I don't know. If we fix the flow of our Offence..he will be dynamic.
Mayo was also involved.
MOS ran the ST aspect of practice..with great patience.
The practice seemed to get more vocal, by the players, towards the end. 
Randle made an exceptional interception downfield on Nichols.

BUT! He didn't outdo Louie Richardson who shocked Drew Willy, on a throwback play, and wouldn't stop running until he reached the end zone...90 yards away. He was congratulated by a number of players, led by...Macho Harris.

Can't say much more, but a certain O-Lineman sure can catch. 

And that's it...

From Corney's journal today

The cuts are coming, but I’m more worried about making sure I practice like a first round pick. I’m not worried about cuts, but just trying to do better than expected. I want this organization to get everything and some more above what they expected from me. I put a lot of pressure on myself to begin with, but with them picking me high I want to live up to that.

48 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

From Corney's journal today

Love his attitude. And his work ethic. You dont often find a young athlete with his combination of work ethic, athleticism, and strong mental make up. 

I hope we rotate him at the other end spot and our NI's at S a lot this year. Some amazing young talent on our D. 

On 1290 radio this morning (Darren Bauming) reported that Richie Hall has enough talent on defence that he has begun to incorporate all kinds of defensive wrinkles that out to keep the opposing offenses off balance. Apparently its largely due to improved NI talent.

Edited by tracker