Main Camp

Floyd

Why do fans crap all over Nicholls when last year we had Brohm & Marve to poop up the field after Willy went down? When he got here for a 7th round pick he had to deal with a garbage OL, the worst receiving corps in the CFL, no run game & an OC with no imagination who couldn't make adjustments during games. Considering everything, he played well.

Edited by iso_55

Funny thing. I've been reading a lot of training camp reports from around the league and every one of them suggests that they have great depth, good competition, and Bob's your uncle. 

"So-and-so looks dynamic, pleasant surprise is having a good camp and it'll be interesting how it shakes out."
After a week of training camp, "the coaches have been really pleased."
"Impressed with the defence"
"Once they gel, it's going to be a very good group."
"We're getting better, guys are stepping up."
"This is one of the strongest running back groups I've ever been with."
"What a day! We getting better every day"
"Some days one side of the ball is better than the other"
"I think these guys are hungry. I think they're working well together."
"Definitely progress being made"
"We're vibrating pretty high right now."
"They have a pretty good understanding of the offence"

So, obviously a 9 way tie for first place throughout the league?

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Funny thing. I've been reading a lot of training camp reports from around the league and every one of them suggests that they have great depth, good competition, and Bob's your uncle. 

"So-and-so looks dynamic, pleasant surprise is having a good camp and it'll be interesting how it shakes out."
After a week of training camp, "the coaches have been really pleased."
"Impressed with the defence"
"Once they gel, it's going to be a very good group."
"We're getting better, guys are stepping up."
"This is one of the strongest running back groups I've ever been with."
"What a day! We getting better every day"
"Some days one side of the ball is better than the other"
"I think these guys are hungry. I think they're working well together."
"Definitely progress being made"
"We're vibrating pretty high right now."
"They have a pretty good understanding of the offence"

So, obviously a 9 way tie for first place throughout the league?

Except for Chris Jones who wants to puke LOL ;)

On 03/06/2016 at 1:47 PM, bearpants said:

Great report, thanks MoD...

By the sounds of our competition at DB... I would guess Bruce Johnson is no lock to make the team...

I'm starting to get concerned we may only have Corney for 3 years... but what a 3 year stretch it should be... hopefully he'll remember the team that gave him his start when he returns to the CFL... :D

I thought the NFL thought he was too small and green for their tastes. It might be a Cameron Wake kind of deal I guess. 

9 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Why do fans crap all over Nicholls when last year we had Brohm & Marve to poop up the field after Willy went down? When he got here for a 7th round pick he had to deal with a garbage OL, the worst receiving corps in the CFL, no run game & an OC with no imagination who couldn't make adjustments during games. Considering everything, he played well.

Same reason that fans feel like they have to pretend that Nichols is the best backup in the league...  and don't bash our OL too much, it hasn't changed all that much since last year...

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Same reason that fans feel like they have to pretend that Nichols is the best backup in the league...  and don't bash our OL too much, it hasn't changed all that much since last year...

The oline hasnt changed, but from Wylie's interview it sounded like he was on opposite pages with Bellifool.  So i'm HOPING that even though the players may not have changed, LaPo will have planned to hide their weakness with alot of hot routes, dump offs etc that will make a strong pass rush less of a concern and that with both Oline and offense are in sync in what they are doing. 

I'm hoping that is the case anyhow. 

7 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

The oline hasnt changed, but from Wylie's interview it sounded like he was on opposite pages with Bellifool.  So i'm HOPING that even though the players may not have changed, LaPo will have planned to hide their weakness with alot of hot routes, dump offs etc that will make a strong pass rush less of a concern and that with both Oline and offense are in sync in what they are doing. 

I'm hoping that is the case anyhow. 

The only thing I have to say is that Chungh and Goosen have now had the in-game experience and the benefit of a camp or two and should both be better this year.  I know Neufeld won't stay healthy but the games he does play he excelled at tackle and sucked at guard, so at least we have him in the right position now to at least contribute instead of being a pylon on every play.  Bryant and Daniels should also play well this year, with Picard gone.  Just my two cents.  We'll see what actually happens.

I'm totally on board with hoping that we see a 'Wylie line' again and it really was Bellefuile's systems  Best case scenario.

Also hoping that Willy is the gunslinger that we signed in 2014 and not the happy feet I saw in 2015...

We're now going on seven years of QB and OL issues, I don't think its quite solved...

Worst case scenario, another year of spinal tap drummers at RT.

This is the best time of the year where all the optimism is fresh and the disappointments are ahead unseen and unbidden. 

Richardson isn't injured for the season and Richards might actually play this year. Yippee. 

New recruits seem to be performing and old veterans seem to have a new start. 

Until the first loss. 

21 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The only thing I have to say is that Chungh and Goosen have now had the in-game experience and the benefit of a camp or two and should both be better this year.  I know Neufeld won't stay healthy but the games he does play he excelled at tackle and sucked at guard, so at least we have him in the right position now to at least contribute instead of being a pylon on every play.  Bryant and Daniels should also play well this year, with Picard gone.  Just my two cents.  We'll see what actually happens.

Man, I love these guys that give you a lot for 2 cents. This is like getting a handful of candy.  If the Oc has gone totally opposite to Bellefeuille that has to be good. We could lose Courney after three years but in his case he will have earned the chance. We should be thankful we were able to sign him for that long. We will get two years and perhaps some part of this year. How about if we have him bunk with Neufeld. Toughen him up.

While Corney appears to be a real keeper, and I was fist pumping and high-fiving the kids when I found out we got him at 9 - his value isn't his motor and skillset and tenacity.  It's that his motor and skillset and tenacity comes with a Canadian passport.  Does he ever get a NFL shot?  It's possible.  Does he stick?  That's less likely.  While he's a real keeper in the CFL, the NFL picks from about 70 - 100 guys like him every year.

Is Corney special to an NFL team?  Probably not, but sometimes chance gives you a shot and you make the most of it.  Stevie Baggs got a few years of NFL time and started that journey with a Bomber PR spot.  Also now the star of a Bachelor wannabe show.

More likely that we can't afford his services and he finds a new CFL home in free agency.

13 minutes ago, mbrg said:

So ignoring the wrapping and going to the contents...

While Corney appears to be a real keeper, and I was fist pumping and high-fiving the kids when I found out we got him at 9 - his value isn't his motor and skillset and tenacity.  It's that his motor and skillset and tenacity comes with a Canadian passport.  Does he ever get a NFL shot?  It's possible.  Does he stick?  That's less likely.  While he's a real keeper in the CFL, the NFL picks from about 70 - 100 guys like him every year.

Is Corney special to an NFL team?  Probably not, but sometimes chance gives you a shot and you make the most of it.  Stevie Baggs got a few years of NFL time and started that journey with a Bomber PR spot.  Also now the star of a Bachelor wannabe show.

More likely that we can't afford his services and he finds a new CFL home in free agency.

Do you seriously think we're not going to be able to afford him? We did outbid several teams for Westerman.

30 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Do you seriously think we're not going to be able to afford him? We did outbid several teams for Westerman.

No, just that if we're going to start wringing our hands over all the bad things that could happen with our draft picks 36 months from now, free agency is more likely than the NFL.

If I were to spend any amount of time thinking about what will happen 36 months from now, I would use logic based reasoning as I normally do, and would come to the conclusion that if Corney were to not explore NFL options at that time that the chances of him re-signing with the Bombers would be very high, as unlike Muamba (as an example), he does not have any significant family ties here in Canada that I know of, and that any roots he puts down here during his 36 months in Winnipeg would greatly exceed the draw of any other CFL city, and that if he is as good as we hope him to be, we will have budgeted enough money to retain him with 36 months of planning to do so.

But it just seems silly to do any of that before he's played a single down, even in exhibition, so I won't.

Darrin Bauming ‏@DarrinBauming 1h1 hour ago
Dressler, Richards, Veltung not suited up for practice today. Jace Davis is ? a positive he'll dress for his first game Monday. #Bombers

Darrin Bauming ‏@DarrinBauming 1h1 hour ago
Highly-touted rookie linebacker Kyle Knox, injured in practice last week, has his right leg completely stabilized by a brace. #Bombers

@DarrinBauming 44 minutes ago
Sam hurl, who didn't dress Wednesday vs MTL, started practice today but has pulled himself out. Appears to be a mid body issue.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne