Main Camp

Floyd

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Nichols threw for 3245/19/60% with a banged up OL, little running game, and the worst offensive play calling / system this team has seen in a decade. That production is a good bit more then both crompton and cato combined. 

Where are you getting these numbers from?  He was only here half a season...

All I see in Nichols is total inconsistency - big game then no game then big game... and is guaranteed to throw one or two gifts each game - hope I'm wrong.

Poor man's Kevin Glenn.

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Where are you getting these numbers from?  He was only here half a season...

All I see in Nichols is total inconsistency - big game then no game then big game... and is guaranteed to throw one or two gifts each game - hope I'm wrong.

Poor man's Kevin Glenn.

And he was playing in edmonton before that...  He certainly doesnt throw up multiple gift balls a game. Its also hard to be consistent with in consistent play time and then coming here to play on a terrible offense. In games where he made 20 completions or more his production is actually very good. Only one bad game for him in that stretch but when your down and having to try and get a major every series because the game is half in the bag soo quickly it ruins any chance of getting first downs and putting a drive together. Glenn is a terrible comparison to nichols style and tool set. Jason maas early days AC etc. He isnt the guy whose going to move the pocket, or has to rely on release time to compensate for arm strength, and hes been pretty healthy. 

Glenn and Nichols are pocket passers who can move the ball but can't get it done.  Pretty fair comparison.  Except Glenn is better.

Just step back for a second...  Nichols was 5-2 to start the season with EDM and was traded for a 7th round pick.  You think Hervey was just being nice?

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough

24 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Glenn and Nichols are pocket passers who can move the ball but can't get it done.  Pretty fair comparison.  Except Glenn is better.

Just step back for a second...  Nichols was 5-2 to start the season with EDM and was traded for a 7th round pick.  You think Hervey was just being nice?

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough

Glenn is a short scrambler who moves the pocket and cant see over the OL, needs passing lanes, has to rely on zip and release timing. He is prone to turn overs in the clutch. Nichols stands tall in the pocket, doesnt look to scramble or roll or move the pocket. Doesnt get happy feet. he has arm strength to make any of the throws. Glenn is a scramble to throw guy, which creates turn overs if you dont set your feet and have great body control. Glenn is also prone to fumbling. nichols is not.  Glenn was also a league MVP. the nichols trade was considered high way robbery and still is. Nichols was also statistically better last year then glenn.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Am I missing something here?  Sounds like Willy is just having an 'okay' camp and Nichols is over-throwing receivers left and right...  now they are Khari and Glenn?!  Reviews are mixed on Bennett and Davis...

Every year we over-estimate our QB depth...  seems like yesterday that Buck and Jyles were the new Khari/Glenn

I'd really like to see Cato or Crompton end up on the roster when they shake loose, both are better than Nichols.

I can't decide if Nichols is an untalented over-achiever or a talented under-achiever, it's a wish-wash either way.

19 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Different end of the spectrum, just happy friends divorces don't require attendance!

They are actually moving overseas right after their wedding for a new job so if I missed it for the football game and they hate me for it, it might be worth the risk ... hmmmmm (I pray my wife doesn't see this post) ;)

Edited by IC Khari

41 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

They are actually moving overseas right after their wedding for a new job so if I missed it for the football game and they hate me for it, it might be worth the risk ... hmmmmm (I pray my wife doesn't see this post) ;)

Or you could show up wearing Google glass and say you hurt your eye and these glasses send a small spray ever so often to prevent swelling.

5 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Ticked that I can't go to the game, but I guess I should go to my friends Wedding ;) Thankfully I've got the Shaw FreeRange TV app on my IPhone, it picks up TSN very well ... :P

I'm at the other end of the spectrum.  I'll be in Winnipeg on Wednesday finishing up a conference and my family wants me to stay and take in the game as an early Father's Day present.  So I guess I'm going even though I'd much rather just go home and come back in once the regular season starts.  But, at least I'll be able to pick up a new jersey.  

Quick question, where do you buy game day tickets at the stadium.  I've been there but I've never noticed where the ticket office is. 

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'm at the other end of the spectrum.  I'll be in Winnipeg on Wednesday finishing up a conference and my family wants me to stay and take in the game as an early Father's Day present.  So I guess I'm going even though I'd much rather just go home and come back in once the regular season starts.  But, at least I'll be able to pick up a new jersey.  

Quick question, where do you buy game day tickets at the stadium.  I've been there but I've never noticed where the ticket office is. 

Over on the University Crescent side.

11 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Just as an FYI you can't actually pick up a new jersey yet physically. You have to pre-order one and they'll come in around Week 1, I was told (placed my order today at the store). They have over 600 pre-orders so far, so the next 400ish will get a free player T-shirt (Willy, Harris, or Westerman, that I saw).

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Glenn is a short scrambler who moves the pocket and cant see over the OL, needs passing lanes, has to rely on zip and release timing. He is prone to turn overs in the clutch. Nichols stands tall in the pocket, doesnt look to scramble or roll or move the pocket. Doesnt get happy feet. he has arm strength to make any of the throws. Glenn is a scramble to throw guy, which creates turn overs if you dont set your feet and have great body control. Glenn is also prone to fumbling. nichols is not.  Glenn was also a league MVP. the nichols trade was considered high way robbery and still is. Nichols was also statistically better last year then glenn.

Nichols was not statistically better...  Glenn had 2900 yds passing in 12 games, Nichols had 3200 in 14 - arguably Glenn was with the only offence worse than Bellefuile's...

They're the same QB except I should say Glenn WAS better in his prime...  not too keen on either of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if Glenn has a big year with SJ Green and Duron Carter... 

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Am I missing something here?  Sounds like Willy is just having an 'okay' camp and Nichols is over-throwing receivers left and right...  now they are Khari and Glenn?!  Reviews are mixed on Bennett and Davis...

Every year we over-estimate our QB depth...  seems like yesterday that Buck and Jyles were the new Khari/Glenn

I'd really like to see Cato or Crompton end up on the roster when they shake loose, both are better than Nichols.

Crompton? He's one of the worst qbs in the CFL. Cato started strong & faded fast. I'd keep Nicholls over those 2 although Cato as #3 wouldn't be bad.

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Crompton played three games last year...   plus his OC Calvillo was calling his first couple games ever...

I'd prefer Cato but I like the Crompton can find a way to win.  Nichols doesn't have that.

So, you're saying that Nicholls didn't win any games for the Bombers last year?

32 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

So, you're saying that Nicholls didn't win any games for the Bombers last year?

He won two.  And he didn't exactly carry the team on his back in either of those...  in fact, the bombers won in spite of Nichols...

Don't get me wrong... major step up from Brohm... 

Edited by Floyd

Nichols should've gotten two more wins last year, in Edmonton and Calgary but for some hard-luck placekicking that I'm sure everyone remembers. 

Nichols and Crompton seem like they fill pretty much the same role. They're not gonna sling it all over the field and blow up the league, but they can play clean and get wins if the rest of your house is in order. They're good guys to have around as backups on winning teams, basically the bottom tier of players who should ever start a game in the CFL.

Didn't Nichols have a pretty great set of wheels before he had that massive injury a few years ago?  Back when he and Reilly were head-to-head for the Eskies' starting job?