Henoc on his way to Hamilton & Toronto for visit

gbill2004

You know, there's nothing wrong with wanting to make sure that you're making the right decision.  It's quite another thing to create this whole dog and pony show.  You want to think things through, wait a bit and see if the NFL is going to come calling?  Fine.  Go home and read through the offers, do the negotiations quietly and when you've reached your decision, let us all know.  Until then, the magical mystery tour is nothing more than farce.

why do u think he has not signed any where, he still wants to play in the nfl this year, waiting for more injuries down south,

Then sit at home & wait for the call that may never come from the NFL & stop wasting everyone's time. Doesn't seem like he's in any hurry to get onto a CFL field anytime soon. If Muamba wants to play down there more power to him but this tour is tiresome. If His Royal Highness picks us & grants the Bombers his presence, then like someone said, it better be a multi year deal.

Completely absurd.

He owes you nothing, worry about your own life.

Well, as a ticket buyer he does owe me & other CFL fans something if he comes back as we'll be paying his salary. He's just dragging things out with a ridiculous tour hoping that the NFL calls before he signs.

We (and every other team) is being jerked around while Henoc lusts after more NFL paydays. I am beginning to lose respect for him and although I would like to see him back here, enough is enough. Poop or get off the pot.

how dare he try to set himself and his family up for life by chasing his NFL dream. what an *******...

oh.. wait. hes not the *******..

SpuDs, sometimes, I tell ya...

You know, there's nothing wrong with wanting to make sure that you're making the right decision.  It's quite another thing to create this whole dog and pony show.  You want to think things through, wait a bit and see if the NFL is going to come calling?  Fine.  Go home and read through the offers, do the negotiations quietly and when you've reached your decision, let us all know.  Until then, the magical mystery tour is nothing more than farce.

Exactly, great post.

We (and every other team) is being jerked around while Henoc lusts after more NFL paydays. I am beginning to lose respect for him and although I would like to see him back here, enough is enough. Poop or get off the pot.

Although I couldn't put it so eloquently, I agree. This is nothing more than a sham/stalling technique for a return to the NFL. I don't believe they are seriously considering the CFL, unless there is some jaw-dropping numbers that I don't believe any team can provide anyways.

Quite the little play for drama, but let's get serious, he doesn't have to visit all the cities...he's been there, and knows all the offers. He would be on a roster by now. They're wasting our time and we can tell them to call us, if and when they get serious.

you cannot be serious. this os a crutial point in his career! he deserves to take all the time he wants, hes earned it. so what if he takes a week to check out his options.. he IS essentially the toast of FA players for the CFL..

im actually quite stunned anyone feels that hes abusing his position or dicking around.. sure stalling for a week to see if he can get another NFL shot seems odd to you but this is essentially his make or break time.. give him time to chose his destiny.

Then Henoc should go home & let his agent do the work he's paying him to do by talking to the CFL teams, weigh the offers & then discuss what team is the best fit for Henoc. Just like every other player has done in the past. Not this sham. And sign with a team tomorrow.  Not draaaaaaaaaaag it out for weeks.

It doesn't affect me one bit but it's pretty apparent that this is gonna be going on for a while. Like I said if it's just for the year why bother.. long term? Go 4 it but for 7 weeks I really have no interest or even care if he signs with us. If he only signs for this season with someone, I hope it's not us. If it's long term I hope it is us.

Well, given all the 'tours' he's doing, he better be signing a long term contract wherever it is he ends up. Maybe he just wants a vacation and he figures if he gets all these teams to pay for his airfare and hotel accommodations while he 'checks things out' he can get two birds done with one stone. 

If he doesn't sign in Wpg I would be disappointed due to the draft. It sucks you draft a player and only retain his rights for two years. Should be like the NHL - you own his rights for 7 years (though given the average career in the NHL is a lot longer than the CFL then maybe four years which would mean we'd still own his rights). But I won't go apeshit if he does sign elsewhere. Sam Hurl is actually coming along quite nicely for us - he was really bad early in the year but has made great strides. Plus, I have no idea what would happen in the dressing room culture if Henoc signed here anyway (not that I know how it is now). Could be better but could be a lot worse. I just wish if he didn't sign here we got some kind of compensation from the team that does sign him (a 2nd round pick or something).

Although I couldn't put it so eloquently, I agree. This is nothing more than a sham/stalling technique for a return to the NFL. I don't believe they are seriously considering the CFL, unless there is some jaw-dropping numbers that I don't believe any team can provide anyways.

Quite the little play for drama, but let's get serious, he doesn't have to visit all the cities...he's been there, and knows all the offers. He would be on a roster by now. They're wasting our time and we can tell them to call us, if and when they get serious.

you cannot be serious. this os a crutial point in his career! he deserves to take all the time he wants, hes earned it. so what if he takes a week to check out his options.. he IS essentially the toast of FA players for the CFL..

im actually quite stunned anyone feels that hes abusing his position or dicking around.. sure stalling for a week to see if he can get another NFL shot seems odd to you but this is essentially his make or break time.. give him time to chose his destiny.

Then Henoc should go home & let his agent do the work he's paying him to do by talking to the CFL teams, weigh the offers & then discuss what team is the best fit for Henoc. Just like every other player has done in the past. Not this sham. And sign with a team tomorrow.  Not draaaaaaaaaaag it out for weeks.

Week. Its been a week hasnt it?

I think he is coming back here.

I'm thinking so. If he'd already stopped in Wpg and left,  the probability would have been we were just getting lip service. With Wpg possibly being his last stop and the contract already on the table with the terms and money not yet settled I'm betting he's signing in Wpg.

Why do the tour when you've got maybe 3 contracts on the table other than to bump up that final number.....which any one of us would do, and in the order he's doing it. AND yes, the possibility of a call from the #NFL is still in the back of his mind.

Kyle was just real relaxed when Lawless asked him about Muamba. He already knows the answer and is waiting for the numbers. The days of "Winnipeg the cheap" are over since Miller arrived.

PS......He signs with Walters in Montreal and flys back as a Bomber.

Signed

Mr Optimistic

After Henoc was released by the Colts, his agents said they wanted offers by September 8. He had his try-out with the Giants the same day they wanted offers in by. It's been over a week and a half since he was released by the Colts and it looks like he won't be making a decision until sometime next week at the earliest since we have no idea whether his tour is close to over. Then add in the comments by Walters and others that Henoc's agent is looking for a 1 year deal. You don't see how that can be a little frustrating to both fans and teams.  

After Henoc was released by the Colts, his agents said they wanted offers by September 8. He had his try-out with the Giants the same day they wanted offers in by. It's been over a week and a half since he was released by the Colts and it looks like he won't be making a decision until sometime next week at the earliest since we have no idea whether his tour is close to over. Then add in the comments by Walters and others that Henoc's agent is looking for a 1 year deal. You don't see how that can be a little frustrating to both fans and teams.  

If it's 1 year then I hope we don't sign him. Move on. We don't need rental players. We need guys who want to be here & will commit to 2 or 3 years. 

If it's 1 year then I hope we don't sign him. Move on. We don't need rental players. We need guys who want to be here & will commit to 2 or 3 years. 

Absolutely, makes no sense to pay a player an exorbitant amount for a 7 week contract even if it is pro-rated just to see the Bombers squeak into the playoffs to get their tails handed to them.  Favour season has expired for Henoc and the "happy to see you" tour has been cancelled.

What kind of business could survive if it's best employees decided to leave after one year, every year?  I swear these one year contracts are going to be the death of the CFL.  It's seriously diminishes the value of the league when the best players become so transient it makes little sense forming any attachment to them.  It seems to be the antithesis of sports marketing and the promotion of "star" players.  Without continuity on the roster the fans will become as transient as the players.  "We know how much you enjoyed our product last year so we've completely changed it  this year!"  Brendan Taman and his short-lived Rider dynasty is a notable example.

The NFL used to at least be CFL friendly with a hands-off approach to it's players in the interest of promoting the game of football.  Now it seems they are more interested in exploiting it as a farm system and harvesting the fan base as well.

What kind of business could survive if it's best employees decided to leave after one year, every year?  I swear these one year contracts are going to be the death of the CFL.  It's seriously diminishes the value of the league when the best players become so transient it makes little sense forming any attachment to them.  It seems to be the antithesis of sports marketing and the promotion of "star" players.  Without continuity on the roster the fans will become as transient as the players.  "We know how much you enjoyed our product last year so we've completely changed it  this year!"  Brendan Taman and his short-lived Rider dynasty is a notable example.

The NFL used to at least be CFL friendly with a hands-off approach to it's players in the interest of promoting the game of football.  Now it seems they are more interested in exploiting it as a farm system and harvesting the fan base as well.

TLB you are absolutely correct. Your view is a legitimate concern for the organization. Players may have more ambition and only want a one year, while others might prefer a multi year deal. Both scenarios are options. In the end, if the Team and Player agree to terms, are within accepted practices recognized between the CFL and CFLPA can anyone else have a decision in the matter?

It may not be fair, to all parties for the NFL to have a hands off approach concerning CFL players.

...and the other side of the coin is that if you make it harder for people to get to the NFL, they won't come at all.....so you're left with a diluted talent pool.

Sorry, I don't buy that logic.  The NFL has already passed on them the first time and in a lot of cases their sham degree from "Southern Pinestick A&M" is not going to lead to many employment opportunities in the real world that pay as well as a job in the CFL..

Well, given all the 'tours' he's doing, he better be signing a long term contract wherever it is he ends up. Maybe he just wants a vacation and he figures if he gets all these teams to pay for his airfare and hotel accommodations while he 'checks things out' he can get two birds done with one stone. 

If he doesn't sign in Wpg I would be disappointed due to the draft. It sucks you draft a player and only retain his rights for two years. Should be like the NHL - you own his rights for 7 years (though given the average career in the NHL is a lot longer than the CFL then maybe four years which would mean we'd still own his rights). But I won't go apeshit if he does sign elsewhere. Sam Hurl is actually coming along quite nicely for us - he was really bad early in the year but has made great strides. Plus, I have no idea what would happen in the dressing room culture if Henoc signed here anyway (not that I know how it is now). Could be better but could be a lot worse. I just wish if he didn't sign here we got some kind of compensation from the team that does sign him (a 2nd round pick or something).

This analogy does not make any sense... there is no league higher than the NHL... if anything comparing the CFL to the AHL is more accurate.... most guys in the AHL are there till they get a shot at the NHL...

If Henoc is looking to sign for just the rest of this season... his "signing tour" should have included Hamilton, Edmonton, and Calgary... that's it...

I thought all contracts had to be 2 year contracts anyway? So would it be a signing and then release out of contract? That seems dumb.. Almost wish we had the option year clause still. Let him go try out again and bring him back for the back half..

I do agree with people saying the 1 year concept is an absolute joke. Renting him for half a season would be dumb. I could have sworn lawless said he was looking for long term contract and big dollars..