Henoc on his way to Hamilton & Toronto for visit

gbill2004

...and the other side of the coin is that if you make it harder for people to get to the NFL, they won't come at all.....so you're left with a diluted talent pool.

Sorry, I don't buy that logic.  The NFL has already passed on them the first time and in a lot of cases their sham degree from "Southern Pinestick A&M" is not going to lead to many employment opportunities in the real world that pay as well as a job in the CFL..

I can't stand this bias against athletes. Find one guy on our roster that is from a school you've never heard of.

...and the other side of the coin is that if you make it harder for people to get to the NFL, they won't come at all.....so you're left with a diluted talent pool.

Sorry, I don't buy that logic.  The NFL has already passed on them the first time and in a lot of cases their sham degree from "Southern Pinestick A&M" is not going to lead to many employment opportunities in the real world that pay as well as a job in the CFL..

I can't stand this bias against athletes. Find one guy on our roster that is from a school you've never heard of.

My brother coaches at the University/National level and academic standing (GPA and attendance) is a high priority for his athletes. That is, unacceptable academic standing means no play (no matter who you are) until it's brought up to the standard set by the University regardless of sport (I believe its around 3.00 GPA and 80% attendance rate).

So I think the more practical question, for me at least is, where do American Universities sit with this when it comes to football play and academic standing with their student athletes?

My educated guess would be it varies from University to University.  

You miss the point, most football players in the US are accepted to college on athletic scholarships and would not qualify otherwise.  Once there, few take advantage of the educational opportunity afforded them and piss it away on a meaningless degree or never complete.  With the time commitment they have to put into football at that level it is understandable to some extent but most of these athletes do not leave college with any worthy credentials.

If you can associate 10 import players on the Bomber roster with meaningful degrees I will be impressed.

My brother coaches at the University/National level and academic standing (GPA and attendance) is a high priority for his athletes. That is, unacceptable academic standing means no play (no matter who you are) until it's brought up to the standard set by the University regardless of sport (I believe its around 3.00 GPA and 80% attendance rate).

So I think the more practical question, for me at least is, where do American Universities sit with this when it comes to football play and academic standing with their student athletes?

Canada has much higher standards and if you're grades don't qualify for university, you're not playing sports on a university team.

That's all well and good, but a lot of the basketball players at BU when I was there were dumber than a sack of hammers, and mostly they took classes such as shoe tying 101 and walking and chewing bubble gum 305. A lot of universities like to claim that they have high academic standards, and I'm sure some do, but there's also a lot of fluff involved in getting the athletes through those requirements too. 

You miss the point, most football players in the US are accepted to college on athletic scholarships and would not qualify otherwise.  Once there, few take advantage of the educational opportunity afforded them and piss it away on a meaningless degree or never complete.  With the time commitment they have to put into football at that level it is understandable to some extent but most of these athletes do not leave college with any worthy credentials.

If you can associate 10 import players on the Bomber roster with meaningful degrees I will be impressed.

Define meaningful.

That's all well and good, but a lot of the basketball players at BU when I was there were dumber than a sack of hammers, and mostly they took classes such as shoe tying 101 and walking and chewing bubble gum 305. A lot of universities like to claim that they have high academic standards, and I'm sure some do, but there's also a lot of fluff involved in getting the athletes through those requirements too. 

Wasn't BU suspended in the past for that issue?  Seem to recall sometime in the 80's they brought in a slew of basketballers  from the US that had the equivalent of a 6th grade education.

A required course if you want to leave university with an STD.  ;)

Define meaningful.

Should have said useful, but anything above a general arts degree would be my interpretation of meaningful.

And it's now being reported that Henoc's next stop on his grand tour is Montreal this weekend.

I guess he could meet the Bombers coaching staff while there too.

Both the Montreal tour stop and meeting up with Bombers while there, both posted yesterday.... :)  ...But yes....indeed........

And it's now being reported that Henoc's next stop on his grand tour is Montreal this weekend.

Both the Montreal tour stop and meeting up with Bombers while there, both posted yesterday.... :) ...But yes....indeed........

Oops! Old news travels fast.

Define meaningful.

Should have said useful, but anything above a general arts degree would be my interpretation of meaningful.

I think your broken assumption is that you need a great degree to get a great job.  My highest-earning friend has nothing more than a high school education (makes about $135k/year).

A required course if you want to leave university with an STD;)

Not familiar with this particular degree ... ;)

A required course if you want to leave university with an STD;)

Not familiar with this particular degree ... ;)

Knew some guys who majored in it at Brandon U back in 1998.....classes held daily on the 3rd floor of FLora Cowan Dorm.....

Define meaningful.

I think your broken assumption is that you need a great degree to get a great job.  My highest-earning friend has nothing more than a high school education (makes about $135k/year).

And you are making an assumption based on one anomalous outcome. If you took say, 1000 university grads and compared their median income to the average high school grad's income, then you would have a meaningful comparison.

Sorry, I don't buy that logic. The NFL has already passed on them the first time and in a lot of cases their sham degree from "Southern Pinestick A&M" is not going to lead to many employment opportunities in the real world that pay as well as a job in the CFL..

You miss the point, most football players in the US are accepted to college on athletic scholarships and would not qualify otherwise. Once there, few take advantage of the educational opportunity afforded them and piss it away on a meaningless degree or never complete. With the time commitment they have to put into football at that level it is understandable to some extent but most of these athletes do not leave college with any worthy credentials.

Define meaningful.

I think your broken assumption is that you need a great degree to get a great job. My highest-earning friend has nothing more than a high school education (makes about $135k/year).

And you are making an assumption based on one anomalous outcome. If you took say, 1000 university grads and compared their median income to the average high school grad's income, then you would have a meaningful comparison.
Yep, on average for every dollar a university graduate earns, the non graduate makes about 75 cents.

Define meaningful.

I'm not at all denying that the average university grad earns more than the average high school grad.  I'm saying someone who graduates from high school can achieve the same level or greater success than someone with a college education.  There are lots of very well-paying jobs out there for non-college graduates.  Most of these college athletes who graduate with "sham degrees" as someone called them, will have no trouble at all finding a job and doing just fine.

Both the Montreal tour stop and meeting up with Bombers while there, both posted yesterday.... :) ...But yes....indeed........

last stop? travels back with kyle walters perhaps? :)

last stop? travels back with kyle walters perhaps? :)

That makes sense. Would you commit to a team if you had the chance of being wined and dined by a mess of other teams? I mean this guy is no dummy, he did go to college. In Regina it was mostly whined and old napkin buffet.