[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch 3.0 Has Ended

gbill2004

Some times you get into a battle and realize rather quickly it's a hopeless case because you are out gunned and out maneuvered. Either you do the brave thing and sacrifice your trusty captain or you pull him to safety to fight again. You might have lost the battle but now we most likely have lost the war. Before he got his last shot it had become apparent nothing good was going to happen to him. These guys were coming at him untouched and that was not going to change.

Which is worst for the players? How much better do they feel today about the rest of the year? Any player who did not realized what happened was all but inevitable was not paying attention. Proud but dead and so unnecessary.  

Lol. Chipman? Seriously? These guys are loyal to a fault. Don't kid yourself there. Mark Chipman has no clue about football. Fact is if he wanted the bombers he'd already have them. Sorry but a private owner can't stop your QB from being injured. Chipman eh. No pav buy out. Hire Noel over better candidates. Don't kid yourself

I know what you are trying to say here but funny story is that Chipman was a good enough football player to get a scholarship to the University of North Dakota and actually had a tryout with the Bombers.  And even though he never made the team, I'd say that because of his playing days he does know a thing or two about football.  And what is more, he now knows a thing or two about owning and running a sports franchise.   Either way having played or knowing something about a sport is in no way a pre-requisite for owning a franchise and running it properly.   People like Chipman need to be able to scout talent and put the right people in place to make good decisions.

As for the Pav buyout and Noel hire, you cherry pick two very odd selections that were made by Cheveldayoff (not Chipman) in a litany of good decisions that the Jets management have made.   Show me a football executive that doesn't have a decision or two that you can question in hindisight.

Do I think Chipman will ever own the Bombers?  No.  Would I like that he did?  Yes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/a-proud-moment-for-the-humble-man-who-brought-pro-hockey-back-to-winnipeg/article1322359/

Born and raised in Winnipeg, Mr. Chipman was a passionate hockey fan but at the urging of his father, Robert, ended up pursuing football instead. "I grew up playing hockey," Mr. Chipman said. "I wish I had been a better player than I was. I played until I was 15 and then my father wisely made a decision for me. I was trying to play football and hockey and he gently steered me in the right direction."

The switch to football paid off and Mr. Chipman ended up winning an athletic scholarship to the University of North Dakota, where he was a receiver and backup quarterback. He was good enough to merit a tryout with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 1983 and even managed to get into one exhibition game before being cut by legendary coach Cal Murphy. "Please don't think I was any kind of athlete," Mr. Chipman insisted, playing down his accomplishments.

Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, and Saskatchewan all are playing with 2nd and 3rd string qb's. so the world has not come to an end. Who knows maybe the Bombers get lucky and find a qb with NFL  cuts coming in the next few weeks. 

Each of those quarterbacks have previous CFL exposure .. expecting an American QB to come in here and make any sort of impact without having previously experienced the league is not in the realm of realistic.

(Smith was on the Argos PR last year)

And Cato?

They say that behind every cloud lurks a silver lining, so I guess we're about to find out if that's true.  As other posters have stated, this injury gives the team the opportunity to face reality and find out for certain if their backup QB of the future resides "in house" or whether they have to keep hunting.

The ideal setup for building a contender is to duplicate what Cgy. has done with Mitchell and Tate and there is no better time to get started on that plan then the present.  Willy is no longer a young buck so the Bombers have realistically 4-5 years to make runs for the Cup upon his back.  If they can sustain a solid one-two punch at QB within that time frame their chances of actually winning a G.C. will increase significantly IMO.

The spot light is now fixed upon Brohm and Marve to show all if they can rise to the challenge.  They both deserve a chance as does Davis and with first team reps. during practice they will finally be given a fair opportunity to perform.

Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, and Saskatchewan all are playing with 2nd and 3rd string qb's. so the world has not come to an end. Who knows maybe the Bombers get lucky and find a qb with NFL  cuts coming in the next few weeks. 

Each of those quarterbacks have previous CFL exposure .. expecting an American QB to come in here and make any sort of impact without having previously experienced the league is not in the realm of realistic.

(Smith was on the Argos PR last year)

And Cato?

Was with Montreal in camp this year .. but I'd suggest his success is more an exception than the rule ..

Change of pace was totally in order.  Watching Willy come in and march the ball for a touchdown to start the 3rd Q sends the wrong message to the team, and as a fan, that is not what I wanted to see.

Exactly!

He was the only QB capable of attempting s comeback. Taking him out would have been assinine.

Suggesting it even is borderline "wtf are you thinking?" territory..

With his franchise QB now our for long, and doubts cast on the backups, I wonder what Walters next move will be.

Maybe catching the next train out of dodge? Going to be hard to right this ship wreck with the current coaching group IMHO. First step if I were Walters would be to tell MB - see ya would not want to be ya!

With his franchise QB now our for long, and doubts cast on the backups, I wonder what Walters next move will be.

Hopefully he doesn't resort to scrap heapin'.

I guess we need to sign Sean Whyte.  We need 2 kickers for every game to keep each other fresh since we will do a lot of punting and field goal is our only best possible chance to score. 

Maybe catching the next train out of dodge? Going to be hard to right this ship wreck with the current coaching group IMHO. First step if I were Walters would be to tell MB - see ya would not want to be ya!

Seriously, that would be O'shea's job not Walters.

The other problem I have with this thread is that we're blaming the coaches and the line.  "We shouldn't have left Willy in an unwinnable game" (at the expense of proper leadership by the HC), "Bellefeuille's schemes are at fault" (maybe, but the guys actually have to block), and "We spent money and high draft picks to upgrade our OL, and we're getting decimated."

How many times to coaches and players say that it takes time for an OL to gel?  To learn to play together?  To learn each others' tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses?  I fully expected the OL to be AT BEST wildly inconsistent for the 1st half of the year.  By the time game 10 comes around, that excuse no longer flies; but the hope is that by playing in the trenches together for 10 games, they've at least figured out the major points by then.

This reaction is knee-jerk, and SOOOOO Winnipeg.  Did you really think spending a bunch of money and winning the offseason would fix our problems immediately?  Guys take time together.  Khari knew where Milt was on off-days, and could hit him for a TD pass at a Goldeyes game if he wanted to.  That's chemistry.  That's time playing together.  That's something our OL has not had yet.

Let's look at the teams that have successfully developed backup qbs over the last little while shall we? You got Saskatchewan (Willy) who have a proven starter so that you can bring a backup along slowly. You have Toronto who of course have the ultimate proven guy in Ray again so you can bring guys slowly and have them on your roster for 3 or 4 years before you even need to see them in a game. BC who has gone from Dickenson to Pierce to Lulay which allows players like Reilly to develop. Other than that who's developed anyone? Calgary I guess who went from Burris to Tate/Glenn to Mitchell again providing the young player the shelter needed. Cato is the latest in a long list of quarterbacks in Montreal and many of them have had initial success and been unable to sustain it. We shall see how he fares in the long term. 

So what have we learned here? It's pretty easy to develop qbs when your situation is stable and you don't throw qbs into the fire before they're ready. Look at what happened to the Riders last year when Durant got hurt. They had inexperienced backups who went from good prospects to scrap heap in no time. If Durant had been healthy last season I bet we'd still be hearing about how Tino Sunshine is an up and comer, and maybe he wouldn't have been such a disaster if he had to go in this year. 

Let's look at the teams that have successfully developed backup qbs over the last little while shall we? You got Saskatchewan (Willy) who have a proven starter so that you can bring a backup along slowly. You have Toronto who of course have the ultimate proven guy in Ray again so you can bring guys slowly and have them on your roster for 3 or 4 years before you even need to see them in a game. BC who has gone from Dickenson to Pierce to Lulay which allows players like Reilly to develop. Other than that who's developed anyone? Calgary I guess who went from Burris to Tate/Glenn to Mitchell again providing the young player the shelter needed. Cato is the latest in a long list of quarterbacks in Montreal and many of them have had initial success and been unable to sustain it. We shall see how he fares in the long term. 

So what have we learned here? It's pretty easy to develop qbs when your situation is stable and you don't throw qbs into the fire before they're ready. Look at what happened to the Riders last year when Durant got hurt. They had inexperienced backups who went from good prospects to scrap heap in no time. If Durant had been healthy last season I bet we'd still be hearing about how Tino Sunshine is an up and comer, and maybe he wouldn't have been such a disaster if he had to go in this year. 

You are bang on. You wreck the kids confidence, you wreck the potential. I honestly think Sunseri got destroyed out there last year, mentally and physically. Then we cut him after the season. Does he ever recover from that, I doubt he does with the riders. A fresh start elsewhere might just be what he needs. The kid can throw the ball with a lot of power, great arm. Its very unfortunate that Brohm and Marve got to go in like this for you guys, hopefully it works out.

Lets look at Marcel's historical schemes and see where they ranked in the years he was an OC.

Sacks

His first 3 years as an OC in Saskatchewan (2003 - 2005) - His offence was the 2nd, 3rd, and 1st best at giving up the least amount of sacks (27,28,23)

2007 Montreal - Ranked last in the league (8th) with 68 sacks

2008 Hamilton - Ranked last in the league (8th) with 67 sacks

2014 Winnipeg - Ranked last in the league (9th) with 71 sacks

Passing

His first 3 years as an OC in Saskatchewan (2003 - 2005) - He was consistently in the bottom half of the league in passing (7th, 6th, and 8th with 4054, 4619, and 4229 yards)

2007 Montreal - Even with Calvillo he ranked 4th in the league in passing with 5044 yards

2008 Hamilton - Ranked last in the league (8th) with 4474 yards

2014 Winnipeg - Ranked 5th in the league with 4374 yards

Rushing

His first 3 years as an OC in Saskatchewan (2003 - 2005) - He was tops in the league in rushing each of those 3 years (2605, 2504, and 2436 yards)

2007 Montreal - Ranked 6th in the league with 1791 yards

2008 Hamilton - Ranked 1st in the league with 2532 yards

2014 Winnipeg - Ranked 8th in the league with 1513 yards

Points Scored

His first 3 years as an OC in Saskatchewan (2003 - 2005) - He was in the bottom half of the league in points scored all 3 years (4th, 4th, and 8th for 470, 444, and 379 points)

2007 Montreal - Ranked 7th in the league with 362 points

2008 Hamilton - Ranked 6th in the league with 408 points

2014 Winnipeg - Ranked 6th in the league with 397 points

Summary 

Other then his first 3 years in the league 10 - 15 years ago, his offence has consistently given up the most sacks in the league.

His passing offence has at best ranked in the middle of the league but that was with Calvillo at the helm, every other year has been pretty much bottom 3rd (or bottom half with Willy).

He has ranked 1st in rushing every year except with Montreal and Winnipeg

In points scored, his best seasons were 15 years ago when he was ranked about middle of the pack.  Every other year has been middle of the pack to bottom half of the league 

So in conclusion, Marcel is at best an average / middle of the pack OC whose offence seems to have more success with the run (except in Winnipeg).  His best passing years passing have been with Calvillo (4th best) and Willy (5th best)

Can't wait to see what Willy can do with a new offensive coordinator....

Good post Rich, I was going to mention this at some point. MB almost doesn't have the correct skill set to work with a straight pocket passer like Willy. He may lack some skill regarding pass protection also. The teams he has had that were set up to run the ball for the most part have been successful. You guys have had success running the ball this year when you have tried. I just haven't seen the bombers commit to it, almost like MB feels guilty for not using Willy more. With Willy out IMO I see MB committing to the run now. Older lineman like Picard are still mean and like to go downfield and hammer somebody. You'll see that Picard influenced Oline play once you guys start running the ball more. At this point, where u guys are at, its a plan I think I'd be going with. For example, Picard and Labatte were down right scary out there that year Sheets was running wild, 2013.