[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch 3.0 Has Ended

gbill2004

Thanks to picking Garrett Wagoner in the CFL Supplemental Draft we don't even have a first round draft pick in 2016 now & we will probably finish second last ahead of the Riders with nothing to show for it.

We have Waggoner to show for it.
I don't think it's worth it.

I don't know why anyone thinks we're suddenly doomed for this season. It is still QUITE possible we could stumble ass backwards into the playoffs, especially considering the Labour Day / Banjo Bowl games are anything but an automatic loss.

But it's going to be tough.

Thanks to picking Garrett Wagoner in the CFL Supplemental Draft we don't even have a first round draft pick in 2016 now & we will probably finish second last ahead of the Riders with nothing to show for it.

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing that off of? In fact, I'd love to hear the list of prospects you think are superior to Waggoner in the upcoming draft.

this injury and all the sacks can be blamed on a lot of people. Willy for holding the ball too long and diving head first on his runs. Only an ostrich would disregard his place in this. I actually put more blame on our OC than the line. Cotton is running for more nearly 5 yards a carry this year, so the line can clearly run block. I cant imagine that they're so horrible at pass blocking but can consistently give Cotton a 4.8 ypc average.

MB knows we have a pocket qb, and so do opposing defenses. We haven't been able to draw up a playbook and scheme that will give Willy a consistent safety valve to dump the ball off, screen plays to take advantage of blitzing, and quick developing short yardage routes. Almost every single pass play you see guys running at least 10 yards before making a cut or a slant. Ridiculous. 

It's super easy to just lay blame at the offensive line but the reality is nothing is that easy or simple. 

Whoever decided to leave Willy in the game after halftime ought to do the honourable thing and fall on his sword.

Life would be much easier if all decisions could be made with hindsight.

The concensus on the gameday chat was that Willy should have been pulled. On the 'OB broadcast the opinion was that Willy should have been pulled, and even on the TSN halftime panel they reached the same conclusion. It wasn't rocket surgery.

Whoever decided to leave Willy in the game after halftime ought to do the honourable thing and fall on his sword.

Life would be much easier if all decisions could be made with hindsight.
Taking a player in the Supplemental Draft is always a risk. I think giving up a first rounder the following year wasn't worth the risk. Our Canadian depth at OL will still be there next year & now we'll probably miss out on drafting a pretty good player to help fix that.

I don't know why anyone thinks we're suddenly doomed for this season. It is still QUITE possible we could stumble ass backwards into the playoffs, especially considering the Labour Day / Banjo Bowl games are anything but an automatic loss.

But it's going to be tough.

It is also QUITE possible that I could win the lottery but I wouldn't bet on that, either.

Thanks to picking Garrett Wagoner in the CFL Supplemental Draft we don't even have a first round draft pick in 2016 now & we will probably finish second last ahead of the Riders with nothing to show for it. Or the Riders could go on a roll & we could have had the first pick in the CFL draft next spring. What wonderful protection our OL gave Willy the past 2 seasons. The Bombers management & coaches are just a complete cluster****.

Oh God, what an annoying comment.  A week ago we were all praising Waggoner as being having future MLB written all over him.  Now Willy gets hurt and we're ASSUMING we're going to finish last or 2nd last in the CFL, and that we blew it by picking Waggoner. 

Sometimes, you have to go with your gut, and if you feel Waggoner has a great chance at being an impact starter, you go for it. 

Complete clusterf***?  Really?

P.S. What if Marve comes in and wins us a number of games?  Is the Waggoner pick still a bad one?

I'm thinking that there are some very good OL prospects we won't have a chance to draft now which is our most glaring weakness. Our OL woes won't just go away on their own.

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing that off of? In fact, I'd love to hear the list of prospects you think are superior to Waggoner in the upcoming draft.

Quite a blow....and if the team can't rally around Marve...basement bound...I wonder if Ricky R. would consider playing out the rest of his career here... Barker would be very hesitant to let him go and IF he did, would want the moon... We're really in a corner now and it's a stretch, but this is not looking good...frack it.

Agree 100% and that gentlemen is one MOS. Great job coach! Just screwed the pooch for the balance of the year but there is a silver lining - Maybe they will send you packing along with your sorry OC at end of year!

Thanks to picking Garrett Wagoner in the CFL Supplemental Draft we don't even have a first round draft pick in 2016 now & we will probably finish second last ahead of the Riders with nothing to show for it. Or the Riders could go on a roll & we could have had the first pick in the CFL draft next spring. What wonderful protection our OL gave Willy the past 2 seasons. The Bombers management & coaches are just a complete cluster****.

Oh God, what an annoying comment.  A week ago we were all praising Waggoner as being having future MLB written all over him.  Now Willy gets hurt and we're ASSUMING we're going to finish last or 2nd last in the CFL, and that we blew it by picking Waggoner. 

Sometimes, you have to go with your gut, and if you feel Waggoner has a great chance at being an impact starter, you go for it. 

Complete clusterf***?  Really?

P.S. What if Marve comes in and wins us a number of games?  Is the Waggoner pick still a bad one?

Appreciate your optimism but today I don't share it. Maybe Waggoner does become that player you speak of. However, pretty clear that Walters over estimated the Canadian talent on the OL when he made that pick so he forfeited being able to draft in an area of absolute need to the point of desperation in the spring to get a linebacker. People rag on Joe Mack for his draft decisions. Why should Walters get a pass?

Pull Willy for the 4th quarter sure, but pull him in the 3rd? No coach is going to do that.

Agreed. If anything you pull him at end of first quarter for few series to get him settled down. But at the half, no way you pull him there with 30 minutes to go. I know its terrible that drew got hurt but leaving him in after the half is a move any coach would have made, possibly with the exception of a team with a very experienced back up. Even then, I doubt it.

I don't blame O'Shea for leaving Willy in. You can't honestly expect to wave the white flag with an entire half of football to go, that makes zero sense and it's a defeatist attitude.

That being said, the sooner Marcel is fired, the better. The talent may not be ideal up front, but his offense including the schemes' inability to actually provide even AVERAGE protection for our franchise player is NOT good enough and we need to find a replacement. Period.

So reminiscent of how this organization failed to protect Khari ... what's the point of investing in a franchise quarterback if you are incapable of protecting him .. that .. first and foremost .. NEEDS to be the priority. 

I don't blame O'Shea for leaving Willy in. You can't honestly expect to wave the white flag with an entire half of football to go, that makes zero sense and it's a defeatist attitude.

That being said, the sooner Marcel is fired, the better. The talent may not be ideal up front, but his offense including the schemes' inability to actually provide even AVERAGE protection for our franchise player is NOT good enough and we need to find a replacement. Period.

Some if not all of the best coaches in the CFL have pulled their starting QBs early if the offence wasn't producing and a change of pace was in order. I've seen Don Matthews and Buono do it. The offence wasn't doing squat all first half, so it was decided to keep on doing the same in the second half. Where's the sense in that?