The Day Early Game Day Thread - BC @ WPG

Just a question. Did Manny Arceneaux play tonight? Cuz didn't notice him at all. Lulay threw 3 picks but easily could have been 5. The contacting the kicker penalty was weak I thought. On replay Newman never touched him. Also the penalty on adams was weak too. Other than that tho. Great overall win by the entire team. O D and special teams

I saw the same thing from the upper deck about the contacting the kicker but didn't know for sure

What an important game to win in so many ways..for tonight..for the IGF fans..for 3rd place positioning..for the team psyche..to fight back from that opening drive where it looked quite dismal..and to stuff it to the nitpickers and naysayers who predicted a thrashing.

I suspect you won't see some of them until we lose again.

I want to say something about Drew Willy's rushing this game.

Highlighted not just by thread on here about "pocket passers" vs. "scramblers", but constant talk of Willy's lack of mobility (Paul Weicek was on TSN's pregame show almost insultingly referring to how "obvious" it was Drew Willy wasn't mobile, saying he'll be even worse after a knee injury), it was so good to see him prove a few people wrong today.

The thing is, he didn't just prove them wrong today. He's shown over the last 2 seasons in Winnipeg that when he needs to, he can take off. I think this is another fair comparison between Willy and Ricky Ray -- Ray is known for being an accurate drop-back passer, but he can definitely get the yardage on the ground when the opportunity opens up and the need is there.

As if to continue the insults, the first question of the post-game Drew Willy presser was, "Can you explain to us how you got more mobile after you hurt your knee?" I loved Drew's response: "I've always been a good athlete in my sense. You know, I was an all-state basketball player. *laughs* You guys can write what you want to write in that sense. I mean, I'm confident in my ability. I'm obviously a drop back quarterback, but at the same time, I try to be athletic out there and get yards when I can."

Can we finally stop saying that Willy is a one-dimensional QB? Yes, the MB offense has largely focused on keeping him in the pocket, but I really don't think that has to do with his abilities beyond that (though he's proven that with protection, he's an incredibly skilled and accurate pocket passer). His QB rating is virtually tied with Harris for best in the league (113 to 114) and he's winning us football games.

There are problems with these Blue Bombers that one home win can't magically fix, but our starting QB isn't one of them.

Pretty fun game to watch.

Drew Willy was absolutely outstanding tonight. Throwing bullets and running all over the place. Without him this car has no engine.

Loved what Veltung brought to the game too. He's so smooth out there. Kudos to Adams for having a big game too.

The man everyone loves to hate called a good game tonight. Thought Bellefeuille did a good job of going with what was working and attacking several weak links in the BC secondary. Earlier in the week I had mentioned that he was drawing Moore towards the QB near the snap, and today with Veltung in his place we started to see the added wrinkle of the toss to the WR and potential for quick routes off it. Ran a lot of motion with Veltung and read-option with the RB.

Who wasn't terrified after that first BC drive? Defense did a good job of figuring it out right after that, holding them to 6 points, three of which came from a phantom contacting the kicker call. I'm still concerned overall about them but credit for shutting them down. Lulay does a great job on the short game and they limited the damage there.

I've got a few concerns about our OL. They really struggle to run block consistently. Pass blocking I think they fare much better. Weak links remain on the inside. Dom Picard does a great job of standing around blocking no one. And if a DL does make contact with him early on, that's a battle he's going to lose consistently. 

BC sure does like to talk a lot. A win was so satisfying tonight.

Oh, and Lirim's job should be getting shakier by the day. No mishaps on FGs/PATs but several terrible, terrible punts. There's no consistency in his game and its hard to have confidence in either of his kicking roles.

He may also want to know the down and distance before deciding on a fake.

Oh, and Lirim's job should be getting shakier by the day. No mishaps on FGs/PATs but several terrible, terrible punts. There's no consistency in his game and its hard to have confidence in either of his kicking roles.

It was his decision to throw the football. He should never have the green light to ever do so again until he can prove he can take his head out of his ass & know how many yards there are to go for a first down. And for cryin' out loud, just kick the damned ball deep. The days of directional punting are over with the new rules. 

It was his decision to throw the football. He should never have the green light to ever do so again until he can prove he can take his head out of his ass & know how many yards there are to go for a first down. And for cryin' out loud, just kick the damned ball deep. The days of directional punting are over with the new rules. 

Ya added that in with an edit.

westwood was raving about Neufeld. It wasn't hard to see some nice holes being opened on his side.

it was good to see Hurl making plays. Bass was a tackling whirlwind. Demond showing how good he is. Veltung looked fast and shifty. 

I loved Drew's response: "I've always been a good athlete in my sense. You know, I was an all-state basketball player. *laughs*

Yeah, he was annoyed about that. I agree with comedy geek,he's always shown that he can run.

He deeked out one of the BC  linebackers, completely, on one of his runs. guy just fell down without touching drew. and Drew's not slow.

Whole team picked up by Willy's play and heart.

Daughter/ son in law watching the game in the states. I was glad it was this version of the Bombers and the CFL that they saw.

I couldn't watch the game, had to make do with CJOB.  How did the Oline look?  Sounds like Picard was subpar.  How were the others?  Curious about Neufeld in particular.  

Neufeld looked pretty good from what I saw.  He made it through the entire game which is a big win in my opinion.  On our 1st drive, he absolutely rag-dolled the guy he was working against 2 plays in a row, it was pretty fun to watch.

I couldn't watch the game, had to make do with CJOB.  How did the Oline look?  Sounds like Picard was subpar.  How were the others?  Curious about Neufeld in particular.  

Neufeld looked pretty good from what I saw.  He made it through the entire game which is a big win in my opinion.  On our 1st drive, he absolutely rag-dolled the guy he was working against 2 plays in a row, it was pretty fun to watch.

Agree here. The OL is nastier and very aggresive last night.

Yeah I don't have much negative to say about the OL this year. Especially now with Neufeld in there over Greaves.

I've always said Picard can't block but he does bring a vet presence and a nasty aggressive attitude to the OL. Maybe next year we will throw Goosen in there and have 5 guys who can block well all the way across.