Odds and Sods - Game 3 - Montreal Als at Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Big coming out party for Randle at OLB.....

...this guy was all over the field, tonight.....

Just as well....as J. Adams isn't going anywhere

....with a INT TD and some good hits...

Still waiting on Hurl.....not active enough at MLB....

Blue D having problems with crossing/drag patterns..

...in the the form of S. J. Green with 4 huge gains....

Bomber front 4 was better, but some ways to go.....

Westerman is getting there.....

Turner had flashes...but consistency an issue.....

Anderson still sort of MIA....

Bomber O moved the ball in the middle of the field....

.....but things came crashing to a halt, in red zone....

Missed a lot of 2nd down conversions.....

Bomber run game struggled tonight.....

Cotton gave the effort and did some hard plowing......

...but got planted, a number of times.....

Long corner patterns to Denmark.....

...and short balls to Moore...Bomber pass O staples....

Kolhert did his thing....steady player...

Meanwhile... D. Adams still imitating Maytag repair man....

Some of the run plays are too slow to develop....

Cato gave up a couple of picks....costing the Als 10 pts....

...but showed poise and accuracy from the pocket....

If he keeps this up, Montreal will be tough.....

.with veteran play makers on O, and very tough front 7 on D....

Sutton runs hard...but some tackles not made....

Liam H. has some kind of phobia, about the extra point....

...but was 3 for 3 on FG's and punted very well.......

Huge tipping point with 17 sec left in 1st half...

...as a Shell punt block and Sherman recovery....

...gave the Bombers a huge TD.....

Als Bowman is still a top player in the league.....

Hefney had some hard hits, for the Als

Montreal is a physical team....and Bombers brought their wood...

....real hard hitting, tough grinding game.....

...when you just need to find a way......

...especially when you don't score a TD on offense....

Montreal's 4 turnovers and Blue's O.. was probably that way.....

Huge hustle plays from Johnson, Leggett, Bucknor, Sherman...

Still too many penalties, taken by Bombers...

Still too many penalties in these games

Flag fests are really slowing down things....

Sometimes you just can't get the style points...just the win..

Other times you just can't get the fancy label...just the gin..

I didn't see a running back staying in to help stop blitz. am I right? and if I am, why not?

good game by kohlert and moore. moore took some tough hits. kohlert got open nicely I thought. seems to have a knack for that. and reliable. 

good job DoD but you missed on Liam - he was four for four on field goals (not 3 for 3).

Also very disconcerning that Willy couldn't put together one TD drive. Hey, we won and it was a hard fought game but if not for a couple of rookie mistakes by Cato this game would have been a Montreal victory. Willy needs to be better and get rid of his 'happy feet'. Dunnigan pointed it out on one play, deep in Mtrl territory. Willy had a great pocket he could step up in, but he focused on one receiver (like he was doing last year), he was covered, he panicked when there was no reason to panic and he ran from the pocket, was pressured, and threw the ball away (at least he did that much). 

I think overall we were lucky to win. A win is a win and I'll take it -  but we'll be killed in Alberta playing like that. 

good job DoD but you missed on Liam - he was four for four on field goals (not 3 for 3).

Also very disconcerning that Willy couldn't put together one TD drive. Hey, we won and it was a hard fought game but if not for a couple of rookie mistakes by Cato this game would have been a Montreal victory. Willy needs to be better and get rid of his 'happy feet'. Dunnigan pointed it out on one play, deep in Mtrl territory. Willy had a great pocket he could step up in, but he focused on one receiver (like he was doing last year), he was covered, he panicked when there was no reason to panic and he ran from the pocket, was pressured, and threw the ball away (at least he did that much). 

I think overall we were lucky to win. A win is a win and I'll take it -  but we'll be killed in Alberta playing like that. 

I really hate trying to pass this game off as luck. Yeah it wasn't pretty but they worked hard for that win and I don't think it was luck at all. The Adam int was a good defensive play. He read the pass and made a break on it. The Randle INT was just a bad decision by Cato, but bad decisions happen in football all the time. The punt block was a hard work play by the special teams. They brought some heat and it paid off. The D still has issues but they gutted it out and did make some stops when they had to. I would call this a character win more than a lucky win. 

I really hate trying to pass this game off as luck. Yeah it wasn't pretty but they worked hard for that win and I don't think it was luck at all. The Adam int was a good defensive play. He read the pass and made a break on it. The Randle INT was just a bad decision by Cato, but bad decisions happen in football all the time. The punt block was a hard work play by the special teams. They brought some heat and it paid off. The D still has issues but they gutted it out and did make some stops when they had to. I would call this a character win more than a lucky win. 

Yes I would have to agree with this.  The Bombers won because they made plays... not because the Als were shooting themselves in the foot or anything.  I would add that the Randle INT was a bad decision by Cato but he had a ton of pressure in his face from the Bombers D so that's a credit to them as well.

Montreals D has only given up 3 TD's against in 3 games, they are probably the best D in the league so gotta keep that in mind. It's not like the O didn't move the ball against them, they just couldn't get it in the endzone... some games your O will put up 40, some games they will kick a bunch of fg's... I think special teams and Defense plays a huge role, to say the win was lucky would be like saying D and Special teams don't matter. 

He's also making the wrong reads, running away from the point of attack and if he does get in on the tackle it's late and he gets dragged a couple more yards. 

Normally I'd say that's something that should improve once he learns the defense, but Hurl's been with Hall for a few years now; he should have that D mastered.