First Cut Down Day - list of players released

Jacquie

They've had 5 days to make their decisions. Other teams will do it in 24 hours or so. This is the first cutdown date, not the final one so the decisions aren't as tough this time around. I'd prefer we get rid of the dead weight as quickly as possible to give the guys who will play together this year and those on the bubble more reps. End of the world stuff? Nope. I just prefer my management team to be effective and decisive.

I prefer mine to take as long as they need to get it right.

It shouldn't take 5 days to make the right choices.  If it does... we've got a serious problem.

You know there is a difference between cutting players lettin them know and announcing it public. They might have even cut those guys now. Might also be looking over the guys cut by other teams and might be making additional moves which would change the numbers being released. I am pretty they know what they are doing.

Great argument.  They might have done X or the might not have.  I don't think we are still at the point in our teams development that we need to look over other teams 1st cutdown players to make our team better.

You just prefer to whine. Pick your battles man, who the **** cares when we announce our cuts?

Et tu Mike?  Whining?  Hardly.  Yup... I care if the management is decisive or not and we're not.

wrong.gif

The thing is, you don't know whether our management is indecisive or not. You're acting as if because the announcement hasn't been made, the cuts have not been decided upon.

There are literally a million things that could impact this decision and it's incredibly ignorant of you to be so easily dismissive of pretty much all of them. Maybe they're still trying to get a final call on how many people they need to cut. Things like injuries that could land a player on the suspended list impact how many cuts we need to make, maybe there were players meeting with the medical staff today and they're waiting on doctors. Maybe today was a scheduled evening off for the players and they're not counting on being able to reach every single guy they're cutting by phone. Maybe O'Shea or Walters don't see the point in having to be available to the media on a Sunday evening, so they're waiting until the morning to be nice to sports reporters (I hope this isn't it) who now won't have to piece together an article at last minute for the Monday paper.

Instead of considering any of that, you're much more content to just bathe in your ignorance and sing your song of "well they haven't told the whole world yet, they must not know what they're doing"

Give me a break.

O'Shea said in his presser today that there will be "debates" amongst the coaching staff who gets cut.  Wouldn't surprise me if the coaching staff and management are meeting right now deciding who gets cut. I wouldn't call that "indecisive", but rather they have some real difficult decisions to make, which is a good thing.

The thing is, you don't know whether our management is indecisive or not. You're acting as if because the announcement hasn't been made, the cuts have not been decided upon.

There are literally a million things that could impact this decision and it's incredibly ignorant of you to be so easily dismissive of pretty much all of them. Maybe they're still trying to get a final call on how many people they need to cut. Things like injuries that could land a player on the suspended list impact how many cuts we need to make, maybe there were players meeting with the medical staff today and they're waiting on doctors. Maybe today was a scheduled evening off for the players and they're not counting on being able to reach every single guy they're cutting by phone. Maybe O'Shea or Walters don't see the point in having to be available to the media on a Sunday evening, so they're waiting until the morning to be nice to sports reporters (I hope this isn't it) who now won't have to piece together an article at last minute for the Monday paper.

Instead of considering any of that, you're much more content to just bathe in your ignorance and sing your song of "well they haven't told the whole world yet, they must not know what they're doing"

Give me a break.

The cuts could have been decided on soon after the first game.  The only reason to keep practising the guys you're going to cut in just in case a player ahead of them on the depth chart gets injured.  Even if that happened, do you really want to keep a player you were willing to cut in the first set of cuts?  No one's played themselves on or off the team since the game.  

The players on the bubble have waited 5 long days and nights to find out if they still have jobs next week.  They've practised as hard as they can this week hoping that will be enough to get another chance.  Now they get one more uncomfortable day/night jumping every time there's a knock on the door.  

More maybe's?  Really?  

Can't get hold of them by phone tonight?  In this day and age.  Weak argument at best.  Stupid argument at worst.  Weren't you one of the guys who said a voice mail was an OK way to cut a player last year anyway? (I don't agree BTW)  Assuming the decision's have been made, they could have told the players to come to the office after practise today and told them in person before announcing it.

Is tonight a night off for the players?  Red herring unless it's true.  

Final call on the number they have to cut?  Today?  Really?  They've known since before TC how many players they have to cut today. 

Waiting on the Doctor's?  To tell them what?   No 1 game IR at this time of the year IIRC.  Anyone hurt badly enough to 6 game them? I'd think they'd already know if that's even a possibility.  

Still arguing who should be cut?  At this late date.  Those decisions should already have been made.

Keep bathing in your ignorance and keep making excuses based on 'What if's' that no one can prove or disprove.

Give me a break.

The cuts could have been decided on soon after the first game.  The only reason to keep practising the guys you're going to cut in just in case a player ahead of them on the depth chart gets injured.  Even if that happened, do you really want to keep a player you were willing to cut in the first set of cuts?  No one's played themselves on or off the team since the game.  

The players on the bubble have waited 5 long days and nights to find out if they still have jobs next week.  They've practised as hard as they can this week hoping that will be enough to get another chance.  Now they get one more uncomfortable day/night jumping every time there's a knock on the door.  

More maybe's?  Really?  

Can't get hold of them by phone tonight?  In this day and age.  Weak argument at best.  Stupid argument at worst.  Weren't you one of the guys who said a voice mail was an OK way to cut a player last year anyway? (I don't agree BTW)  Assuming the decision's have been made, they could have told the players to come to the office after practise today and told them in person before announcing it.

Is tonight a night off for the players?  Red herring unless it's true.  

Final call on the number they have to cut?  Today?  Really?  They've known since before TC how many players they have to cut today. 

Waiting on the Doctor's?  To tell them what?   No 1 game IR at this time of the year IIRC.  Anyone hurt badly enough to 6 game them? I'd think they'd already know if that's even a possibility.  

Still arguing who should be cut?  At this late date.  Those decisions should already have been made.

Keep bathing in your ignorance and keep making excuses based on 'What if's' that no one can prove or disprove.

Obviously you missed my point about the injuries, which is less than surprising given your fondness for not actually doing any research before you provide your take on things, but while there is no 1 game IR at this time of year, it's fair game to place injured players on the suspended list (as Hamilton has already done, for example)

Mike... I didn't miss anything.  I'm saying you're not making sense.  I know you can put players on the suspended list and (Read slowly so you understand) you can do it before tonight at 11PM.  If you need proof, just look at what Hamilton did today.  Oh wait, you already knew that.

Firing a person, and that's what we are talking about isn't something management should do at the last second.  Make the decisions.  Contact HR to get the paperwork done.  Call the players into your office and fire them face to face.  Tell them why and try to help them out as best you can.  Pass them on to HR to sign off and to get the support they need to move out.  It's not something you do by phone or text or voicemail tonight.

Jacquie... Getting things right doesn't have to take until the 11th hour.  It doesn't take 5 days.  The decisions don't have to be made tonight.

You know there is a difference between cutting players lettin them know and announcing it public. They might have even cut those guys now. Might also be looking over the guys cut by other teams and might be making additional moves which would change the numbers being released. I am pretty they know what they are doing.

So much this.  Alex Suber is a perfect example of this, news came out that he was being released by Toronto yesterday but was only announced by the club today.

It shouldn't take 5 days to make the right choices. If it does…we've got a serious problem.

I take issue with this statement.

Why in the world would that mean we have a serious problem?

Overstated.

I thought, initially, that all the cuts would be announced at once, but then I realized, that is more what I wanted, not what may be best for the team.

Today, Coach O'Shea, put things in perspective when he talked about trying to determine what each level of play each player has, balanced against whatever injuries they may have sustained, and 'debating' what each player brings to the team, and comparing that, to what another player brings, and of course, keeping roster management firmly in mind.

The business day was not finished for O'Shea and staff after today's practice…they had decisions to make, and then the unpleasant task of speaking with each player individually to inform them of the hows and whys.

It's important to get it right, and if that's the way this staff has determined to do it, then we have to accept that, whether you like it or not.

It shouldn't take 5 days to make the right choices. If it does…we've got a serious problem.

I take issue with this statement.

Why in the world would that mean we have a serious problem?

Overstated.

I thought, initially, that all the cuts would be announced at once, but then I realized, that is more what I wanted, not what may be best for the team.

Today, Coach O'Shea, put things in perspective when he talked about trying to determine what each level of play each player has, balanced against whatever injuries they may have sustained, and 'debating' what each player brings to the team, and comparing that, to what another player brings, and of course, keeping roster management firmly in mind.

The business day was not finished for O'Shea and staff after today's practice…they had decisions to make, and then the unpleasant task of speaking with each player individually to inform them of the hows and whys.

It's important to get it right, and if that's the way this staff has determined to do it, then we have to accept that, whether you like it or not.

Of course it's important to get it right.  That doesn't mean waiting for the last hour to make the decisions.

They have the unpleasant task to do tonight only because they didn't do it sooner.  They've chosen to do everything tonight.  It wasn't thrust upon them.  Everything O'Shea talked about in today's Video was true 5 days ago.  It's probably been debated at least daily, probably more often.

The Stamps have released Jock Sanders.  I wouldn't mind if we brought him in to cover for kick returns while Stoudemire is out. 

You might think twice about that:

So story goes something like this, I'm hearing from multiple sources... Jock Sanders essentially refused to go into the game Friday. #CFL

— Scott Mitchell (@SUNMitchell)

June 15, 2015

They aren't just evaluating the game.  Why wouldn't you take an extra few practices to have a look at guys who are very close competing to stick around for a couple more weeks and a shot at the main roster if you have the chance?

No one said it's only about the game evaluation.  The TC evaluation is ongoing.  Every snap.  Every nuance.  Every day.

I don't want a team of guys who are 'close to sticking around for the second week of TC'.  I want to focus our time and effort on guys who have a real chance to make the team and especially those who have a real chance to be difference makers.

They aren't just evaluating the game.  Why wouldn't you take an extra few practices to have a look at guys who are very close competing to stick around for a couple more weeks and a shot at the main roster if you have the chance?

No one said it's only about the game evaluation.  The TC evaluation is ongoing.  Every snap.  Every nuance.  Every day.

I don't want a team of guys who are 'close to sticking around for the second week of TC'.  I want to focus our time and effort on guys who have a real chance to make the team and especially those who have a real chance to be difference makers.

You have a very distorted view of what a training camp is.  The guys who they are discussing at this cutdown who will be on the field tomorrow have a chance to make the team.

5 days isn't rushed, it's the opposite of rushed. 

5 or 6 guys they are discussing tonight won't be on the field tomorrow and won't have any more chances to make the team.  Most, if not all of them, didn't have much more of a chance on Thursday or Friday or Saturday or today.

Tell you what.... Lets just agree to disagree yet again and move on to discussing who we actually cut tomorrow.

Really think that posters should be consistently analyzed and evaluated on their content, style, tone, appropriateness of context, influence, general demeanor, aggression level, possible suggestibility, candor or lack of it, lemming tendencies, and know-it-all syndrome.....so that the appropriate snap judgements can be made in a timely manner.......

Or is it already too late?

*Thirst levels rising as I read this stuff*