How good is our offensive play calling?

BigBlue

46 members have voted

1. 1. How good is our offensive shemes, the timing of our run calls and fooling our opposition's defensive schemes ( outhinking them) HOW GOOD IS OUR PLAY-CALLING? ...

• very good
    • above average
    • average
    • below average
    • not good at all
    • other ... please explain

Logan 007 said "MB's offensive scheme sucks.  I've said it before and I'll keep saying it.  His play calling is atrocious.  Especially when it comes to the run game."

I feel very much the same .... and about his predictability/imagination   ... I can just say wow!

ENOUGH!!!!!

of the railing on Bellefeuille.

What is this?

Bellfeuille is too conservative blah blah blah, or he doesn't run the ball enough blah blah blah.  I seen posters saying all kinds of crap about him, and there's a lot of it that doesn't even make any damn sense.

Does the offense always look sharp this year?  No, but I think it's heaps and bounds better than the trash we've had to put up with for the last few years.  Now I understand with how bad Gary Crowton was last year, maybe Bellefeuille's measuring stick is a little lower than some others around the league, but I think he's done a pretty good job overall of being balanced between conservative and aggressive which is what you need to be.

Let's also not forget, when your QB is getting pressured, you have to call plays that either rely on your runningback or get the ball out of your QB's hands quicker.

I almost find it funny, everyone let's the epitome of conservativism that clown Lapolice off the hook all the time for his silly attempts to stifle Buck Pierce and Joey Elliot and not let them use their big strong arms, and the grievous 1 yard passes called on 2nd and manageable.  Yet when Bellefeuille at least does a better job of letting Willy make his reads down the field despite pressure in his face, he gets ragged on for it.  SMH.

Thought he adjusted ok in Toronto.  Willy hasn't played very good the last 2 weeks.  Thought Willy was a bit tentative at times in Toronto.  Needed to attack that D vertically when Burke kept blitzing the safety and one LB, tried a few times, but not enough.  I'm sure those options were there based on what Willy read pre-snap, but he was a little gun-shy.

Can't criticize run calls, our back stinks and when you're running zone blocking, you can't have a RB who waits for a 5 yard gap to make a cut.

Considering the personnel limitations, our offense is ridiculously good to this point.  Liked that they actually scored 7's in the redzone in Toronto too.

When the Team is functioning in all capacities and the offence is scoring, seemingly at will, nothing could be finer in the state of Carolina, but when a frailty shows it's ugly head (think running back) and our offence bogs down, the first person we look to is the OC.

There are breakdowns on offence due to many factors and a rookie QB is showing some inexperience…and we are surprised?

No, JBR is right, we have had a fine run scoring TDs and putting points on the board, all in the name of getting experience…valuable experience, and getting some wins along the way.

Marcel and Drew seem to be working well together and our most valuable asset (Willy) is progressing.

We should not be totally satisfied..yet, but complaining? How soon we forget where we just were.

ENOUGH!!!

Stop hanging off of MB's ahem.... OC abilities.

MB's an average OC.  He looks good when you compare him to Crowton but using Crowton as a measuring stick is insane.  He's one of the worst OC's we've ever had.

Willy's the biggest difference between this year and last year.  Hall & Goltz running MB's offense was a disaster last year and would be this year too. 

We're having to throw the ball 40 times a game to stay competitive.  Willy's taking a beating and our OC's not changing anything to help him out.

A run game is very important and will get more important the later it gets in the season.  We don't have one right now.

Our best offensive game was the first one.  The last two games have been lots of 2 and outs with a few big plays and we've lost the TOP big time.

Willy is a direct representative of his OC.. and willy hasnt looked out of place as a starter at all... An OC caters his playcalling to his players and for the most part the offense has had some very good games with some rough patches worked in..

Marcel B may not be a godsend but hes solid.. He knows the game, he can make adjustments.. We can win with him without question.. so id rank him at above average but not closer to the elite scale... Closer to the medium notch..

With that being said, hes made me change my opinion of him.. I used to think he was a hack.. But hes a talented guy who knows the CFL, give him some respect. Hes earned it..

Well I voted below average but only because MB isn't doing enough to relieve the pressure from the (lack of) Oline to give Willy some more time/space as well as the RB's. One thing a lot of you are forgetting, and I posted it back in pre-season, but a famous quote from ex Wpg coordinator and Eskie head coach Kavis Reed - when two years ago he exclaimed in the dressing room "No one will see us coming". 

I said that because I didn't know what to expect any more than the other 8 CFL teams did. 

Well, no more 'surprises'. There's enough film on the Blue - both O, D and ST's, that the other teams can now 'prepare' for us better. Ray showed it really well as despite our vaunted pass defense (and we still kept him to under 300 yards) he was able to complete passes at will against us - not so much on game one. 

MB has to realize the DC"s in the league are on to him now, and on to Willy's patterns. He's gotta mix it up a bit more now. Do some things that no one is expecting. Go back to the "no one will see us coming" phase. Right now, everyone knows what we're doing - and it shows. 

I put average.

If you are rating the OC's throughout the league based on experience and success they are probably going to be Dickenson, Cortez then pretty much everybody else.  Marcel is better then Khari's and Dimwiddie's of the world and probably about par with Tommy Condell and McAdoo out of Edmonton.