Comparative analysis - How bad is the Bombers OL?

I did a comparative analysis to see just how bad the Bomber OL is compared to other CFL OL's. Here is what I found:

The Bombers have given up 10 sacks this year for an average of 3.3 per game. Last year in 2013, the league average of sacks given up per team, per game was 2.78, putting the Bombers slightly above average this year, with a small sample size of only 3 games played so far.

The best team in 2013 was Calgary with only 36 sacks given up (average of 2 per game), and Hamilton was the worst with 67 sacks given up (3.7 per game). Bombers gave up 51 sacks (average of 2.8 per game). Winnipeg was exactly league average in 2013.

Here's the full data per team, of sacks given up over the 2013 season:

1. Calgary: 36

2. Montreal: 41

3. BC: 47

3. Saskatchewan: 47

5. Winnipeg: 51

6. Toronto: 52

7. Edmonton: 60

8. Hamilton: 67

So much more to it than just sacks.

Holding penalties, QB hurries, how they're performing in the run game, etc.

I'd say just based purely on watching the games, we're middle of the pack. I'm sure if you looked in depth at all the numbers, we'd grade out similarly.

Yes obviously there's more to it than just sacks given up when evaluating an OL, but this gives a pretty good indication of a teams ability to protect the QB. And obviously a QB with a quick release and a mobile QB will make an OL look better too.

The Bombers OL gets a lot of bad press, when in reality it's middle of the pack...other teams give up sacks too.

I'd say just based purely on watching the games, we're middle of the pack. I'm sure if you looked in depth at all the numbers, we'd grade out similarly.

Yes obviously there's more to it than just sacks given up when evaluating an OL, but this gives a pretty good indication of a teams ability to protect the QB. And obviously a QB with a quick release and a mobile QB will make an OL look better too.

The Bombers OL gets a lot of bad press, when in reality it's middle of the pack...other teams give up sacks too.

Very true. One of our members, TBieber, has taken to timing the seconds from snap to QB release during some games this year. I wonder if he'd have the results saved to share here.

Very true. One of our members, TBieber, has taken to timing the seconds from snap to QB release during some games this year. I wonder if he'd have the results saved to share here.

Those would be very interesting numbers to see, if available.

Last year our O line was way below average (2nd worst in the league IMHO).  As others have said sacks isn't the only indicator.  For example, we gave up 4 sacks in the Montreal game, yet Willy was taking a beating and having to throw very quickly to get the ball off.  The O line didn't have a good game at all, but the sack number wasn't all that bad.  Replace Willy with Hall, and the number of sacks would go up dramatically, yet the O line work would be the same.

I'd say our O line's in the middle of the pack this year now that Greaves is hurt.

Last year our O line was way below average (2nd worst in the league IMHO).  As others have said sacks isn't the only indicator.  For example, we gave up 4 sacks in the Montreal game, yet Willy was taking a beating and having to throw very quickly to get the ball off.  The O line didn't have a good game at all, but the sack number wasn't all that bad.  Replace Willy with Hall, and the number of sacks would go up dramatically, yet the O line work would be the same.

I'd say our O line's in the middle of the pack this year now that Greaves is hurt.

I'd argue that a little bit (Hall for Willy). Last year, I think we were 'middle' of the pack because the defense can't get sacks if you're not on the field. I think we led the league in two and outs, and lowest time of possession, hence why the sack total was 'middle' of the pack. If we had more first downs, more opportunities for sacks lol. Just a thought as I can't really quantify that. Just saying

Thanks to everyone that puts the effort into providing detailed analysis. I can only provide my on anecdotal evaluation. I completely agree with everyone that the O-Line needs improvement, simply by the number of times I find myself holding my breath hoping Willy gets up off the turf and returns to the huddle.

From the games played so far, I would put us ahead of BC and Hamilton, and maybe Ottawa. 

Fun game - watch a BC game and count the number of times Dean Valli looks behind him after a play trying to figure out what just happened.

Some quick statistics about offensive line efficiency in passing situations through two weeks:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X5wgvJlt--MljxavSW3BxD6skQuGk9vf6rvdACFC97w/edit?usp=sharing

I like the sacks per drop back stat.  Too bad hits and hurries aren't tracked.  That would give an even better idea of how well the O lines are pass blocking.

Hard to judge this OL before next game, then we will have faced two pretty top notch DLs

Without Max Hall and DelMonaco, the 2013 season stats don't mean much.

The comparison of the 2013 league average of 2.8 as a baseline, and the Bombers 3.3 this season suggests we're still around league average, while considering that 3 games is a small sample size.

I said it a couple times inthe second half against Ottawa... and again during the Mtl game....  We're really missing Chris Greaves right now... I guess getting hurt is really showing his value...

But watching some of the BC/Sask game Kevin Glenn was under seige all day... on some plays he had maybe a second to get the ball off... We're definnitely ahead of them right now

We have to give credit where credit is due, I guess.

Seems like Greaves is under appreciated by the everyday layfan. 

The effects of Bob Wylie will be seen more in the long term, I would venture to say, and the absolute non-panic in the demeanour of our staff must give the boys some sort of lift.

For me, Drew Willy, being able to recognize some early reads, really helps the old stat figures as he launches the ball pretty quickly when he has to. 

We can bemoan the O-Line's performance to a certain degree so far, but man, when you look at the performances of some other lines…..yeesh!

And we're by Montreal!

Overall, we still have to draw the conclusion that there is a ton of growing and work to do, and to say we're satisfied would be offensive-lying.

Our line is solid..not done developing into a cohesive unit by any stretch but when greaves gets back, I imagine the gelling won't be far off.. With Wylie in the fold, I'd expect we would be hopeful to grade out near top 3 but as many have surmised, 4-6 is probably the best we can expect with being on the higher end of the middlin' group.. Wonder how long we have Wylie for? If it's 2 or more seasons, I really like where our line could be in a few years..

Are there any stats that breakdown the circumstances of sacks? It would be interesting to know how many sacks were actually due to the oline and how many were due to other positions not making a play (ie a coverage sack, a RB misses a block on the blitz, etc).